SS.org mobile phone app

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Search function? Can you give likes and rep easily? What about quoting posts, ect.?

Looks really good so far man!

Ah, yeah sorry about that. I meant to add that I will compile a full list of features (completed and to be finished later) once I have everything laid out. All the obvious ones will definitely be included though (search, User CP related things, quoting in replies, picture viewing, etc). There are some "smaller" features that I'm not sure would be worth implementing, and thats what I plan on asking for feedback on :hbang:

I'll post more details about new features as I get them completed!

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Have you talked with Alex about logging in with the app?

also, instead of the android logo, you should put the 777 logo, or find some way to implement the site logo.

I sent him a few more messages about it, as far as I can tell he doesn't want to reply because I have yet to receive a response. But I have logging in currently working.... we'll see what happens.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Have you talked with Alex about logging in with the app?

also, instead of the android logo, you should put the 777 logo, or find some way to implement the site logo.

I actually had the same idea. I'm saving any icons/logos/final UI touching up until all the core functionality is complete. Definitely making the app icon a 777 logo for sure though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
iv noticed alot of posts saying "sent from the sevenstring.org app for andriod" lately

Yeah, apparently there already exists a "forum reader" app for SS.org made by this other dude, but IMO its pretty terrible and not that user-friendly. You can check it out here, and more importantly, if you look at the other apps offered by that same developer, they are all identical to this one but adapted to work with various other online forums. AKA he's copy/pasting this one app and changing a few URL's here and there and offering them as separate apps :noplease:

Once I get my Play Store account set up and my beta version up for download, I'll post it here (and link this thread within the Play Store) to clear up any confusion :yesway:

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Bump for updates...

???

Sorry for the delay guys, The last 3 or 4 weeks of school pretty much halted all progress on the app due to my studying for finals and what not. :mad:

I know its been a while since I've had any update but the good news is the app is ALMOST ready to be released for beta testing. There are a few small things to wrap up before that happens, but trust me its very close. the bad news (which is actually good news, IMO) is that I'm in the process of taking the back-end code that gathers the threads and posts and pulls them from the site and moving it to a separate server, instead of processing on the phone. What does that mean to you? It mostly means that this is will save on processing/loading times and speed up the app (not that it really needed it, but faster loading times are always nice). The more important thing is that doing this will streamline the development of the iOS version of the app that I plan on making sometime next year (after the android version is done). That just saves me the extra step of converting the back-end processes from the android version to the iOS version, as the stuff coming from the server is the same for both apps. :yesway:

For those of you still waiting on an ss.org iOS app, sit tight. I wont start working on it for a few months, but moving the back-end code to a separate server is a huge step forward.

As for those of you wanting to use the android version, be sure to send me a PM letting me know if you haven't already. I'm not releasing the app to the Android Market right now, at least not until its mostly feature-complete (to avoid negative reviews and ratings from people with random issues, freezes, force closes, etc) but I will distribute it individually to people who want to test it out. Send me your personal email, name, username on the site, and whatever android devices you own/are willing to use to test the app (phones AND tablets included). Expect some more news in January :metal:

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Just a quick update because I literally just now got the back-end server stuff up and running.... HOLY BALLS ITS SO MUCH FASTER :hbang:

I mean the app wasn't slow before by any means, but shit now its loading threads/posts almost instantly. Super happy about this performance, very much worth all the work it took to convert it :)

(I can't attest to how this will run on older (1.5-2 years older or more) android phones, because I'm running it on my new Nexus 4 and my semi-old LG G2X, but I assume it will still be faster due to the server doing the heavy processing instead of the phone. :yesway: aka you most likely have nothing to worry about, unless you are running a 4 year old phone that will likely die on you soon :lol:

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Here are some more screenshots for you guys, just because I changed a lot of UI stuff from the original screenshots I uploaded. I think it looks at lot nicer now. These images are gigantic, I don't know how to make 'em smaller :lol:

6IQ7F.png

VxQxt.png

15M6A.png

v72mV.png

1RoTT.png

3FKkz.png

P2LRP.png

Od33g.png