Steinberger Gearless Tuners?

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
This is soooo tempting.....

Anybody out there using them?

Steinberger's unique "straight-through" tuner has no gears, and an astounding 40:1 :bowdown: tuning ratio for unparalleled accuracy. Straight string pull eliminates winding. The locking knob on top secures the string to prevent slippage. String installation is fast and easy, and the tuning action is impressively smooth. Set of 6, instructions included.

Steinberger Gearless Tuners at Stewart-MacDonald

Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners_Detail3.jpg

Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners_Detail2.jpg

Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners_Detail.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Oh believe me Patrick, I was tempted... Satan was sitting on my shoulder.

BUT, there is no seven string option :mad:. Stew Mac would not sell me an individual one either :(.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
Oh believe me Patrick, I was tempted... Satan was sitting on my shoulder.

BUT, there is no seven string option :mad:. Stew Mac would not sell me an individual one either :(.

How about buying two sets and then selling the extra 5 to maybe a banjo player? :lol:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
How about buying two sets and then selling the extra 5 to maybe a banjo player? :lol:

Banjo players are swine... I have no desire to have any dealings with them :). In the end I ended up settling with Hipshot locking tuners... Patrick likes these too, I believe :).

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd love to try these, but at US$100 for a set of six, they're among the most expensive tuners out there.

One big advantage, though, is you can place them in optimal locations on the headstock for straight string pull, and design the shape of the headstock however you want, because they don't have to follow the edge of the headstock the way regular tuners do.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
One big advantage, though, is you can place them in optimal locations on the headstock for straight string pull, and design the shape of the headstock however you want, because they don't have to follow the edge of the headstock the way regular tuners do.

A great point... I believe the guitar would look better without the tuning pegs as well... Do you think Steinberger would sell me one individually? Anyone?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Are these chappies the development of the tuners on the GS?

Does open up some interesting options for designs in either case....*has a ponder*....

A great point... I believe the guitar would look better without the tuning pegs as well... Do you think Steinberger would sell me one individually? Anyone?

You could email them to find out amigo - definately worth a try.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Apparently you need to solder plain strings at the insertion point for stable tuning. That plus the 40:1 ratio, sounds like stringing up would be an unnecessary PITA.

And now that Sperzel is essentially a custom shop, you can get pretty much anything you want from them, even sets of 7 and 8, sealed or open back, locking, semi-locking, non-locking, a variety of metal and plastic buttons, and all sorts of different colors. I've never had any tuning accuracy problems with the 12:1 ratio.

:shrug:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Apparently you need to solder plain strings at the insertion point for stable tuning. That plus the 40:1 ratio, sounds like stringing up would be an unnecessary PITA.

And now that Sperzel is essentially a custom shop, you can get pretty much anything you want from them, even sets of 7 and 8, sealed or open back, locking, semi-locking, non-locking, a variety of metal and plastic buttons, and all sorts of different colors. I've never had any tuning accuracy problems with the 12:1 ratio.

:shrug:

WUT??? Where did you hear THAT? Soldering the strings? :scratch:

As for the Sperzel tuning machines... Yeah, they can do a tonne of different stuff, folks. I believe Elysian can order them for you for a lower price.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
They're talking about "at the twist" which i assume means where the string is twisted around at the ball end. I had to solder my plain strings at the ball end when i used a Kahler, or they would break there.

I believe this gearless tuner PDF was an excerpt from a Steinberger guitar manual (maybe for the Scepter?) where they're talking about soldering the strings for use with a Steinberger trem.

ugmung

Banned
Reaction score
i know what the twist part meant, just not the silk part.

that could very well be true, but i've never seen a steinberger with these tuners.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
They only made one model with a headstock:

ste_13977.jpg

They're pretty rare. That's probably why you've never seen one. ;)

Gibson uses these tuners on the Epiphone Firebird Studio... as far as i know, that's the only other production guitar to use them. And i'd be surprised if Gibson recommended soldering the strings at the twist on a fixed bridge guitar. I'm pretty sure it's just a trem thing.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Stewmac are great guys no doubt, but sometimes are so conservative...

I wrote them a mail about if they could consider building less deeper truss rods... The reply: ''sorry we dont do custom work'' :rofl:

I would believe that the extended range guitars opens a new market to them right? So WTF? :ugh:

I'm going to try and see what I can do about those tuners because I really want to give them a try, I mean the looks of a headstock without pegs would be fucking awesome!

And yeah those are brutally expensive tuners also.....

Tell me if i'm right or wrong but I have seen something identical from Schaller one day? Or maybe I was breathing to much mahogany :lol:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I was wrong.....

I found the tuners I was talking about but its actually not the same thing at all.........

Check this...

Lisette_frei_gedreht.jpg

Its actually a button option... Tuners are regular Schaller's

3___FLUeGEL_GRUPPE.jpg

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Ah, the GS as I thought :)

I just spoke to a luthier who's college instructor used these tuners on his daughters guitar and didn't solder the strings - they're fine unless you do use a Steinberger trem.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always liked those LSR-style barrel knobs when Yamaha has used them... are they available for ordering somewhere?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh, also worth noting is that the maximum string size you can put through the Steinberger tuners is a .060.