Straight Edge

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
not every straight edge kid (or grown up :D ) goes out and tells everyone. i know many straight edge people, but no one of them labels himself everywhere everytime. they just "are". :shrug:

Aye, I'm personally sick of having to explain to everyone why I don't drink, usually brought up by the fact I'm out, can walk straight and don't have a drink in my hand. For gods sake, why is that something that NEEDS to be explained?

No-one asks why I don't smoke, or don't do drugs, its ALWAYS with the damn drink.

Then again I guess living in the UK, if you don't drink you aren't patriotic or something :spock:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
If you dont want to drink or do drugs or have random sexual encounters then great, dont! There doesnt have to be a name for it. It IS a 'scene' thing because there have been plenty of people living like that before 'straight edge' came about who werent 'straight edge' Its just the same sort of thing as metal having 1000000000000 sub genres these days. Everyone is struggling to 'be' something. What about just being yourself and making a life choice? You dont have to join a club/sect/cult to live healthy.

Straight edge is a philosophy, but how are you supposed to explain it to others? Do you wait until you're forced into a social situation and then say "I don't drink" or wait until someone thinks you're a drug addict to tell them "I don't do drugs" or can you just say "I'm straight edge" and give them an idea of your beliefs as a whole? You have to realize its a whole lot more convenient to say "straight edge" rather than "not a drinker, not a druggie, doesn't smoke, not a 'slut' (I use the term loosely)" educated people will know, or inquire, or will look it up. It's a way of life. It's also a way of bonding together, comradery, so to speak. It's not an elitists club, but the basis of the philosophy is that the choice you make is for the better. Why 'label' yourself? Why are communists communists? There are countless 'labels' you probably apply to yourself based on your beliefs (I'm speaking in general), why should we be exempt or be thought odd because we do the same?

Tiger

Reaction score
Straight edge is a philosophy, but how are you supposed to explain it to others? Do you wait until you're forced into a social situation and then say "I don't drink" or wait until someone thinks you're a drug addict to tell them "I don't do drugs" or can you just say "I'm straight edge" and give them an idea of your beliefs as a whole? You have to realize its a whole lot more convenient to say "straight edge" rather than "not a drinker, not a druggie, doesn't smoke, not a 'slut' (I use the term loosely)" educated people will know, or inquire, or will look it up. It's a way of life. It's also a way of bonding together, comradery, so to speak. It's not an elitists club, but the basis of the philosophy is that the choice you make is for the better. Why 'label' yourself? Why are communists communists? There are countless 'labels' you probably apply to yourself based on your beliefs (I'm speaking in general), why should we be exempt or be thought odd because we do the same?

What irks me the most is that back in the days of our parents, men who were responsible strong minded individuals were 'straight edge' because it was how you were suppose to be and it was done without thought and with quiet dignity.

Now you get the dyed hair plugged eared kids desperately searching for an identity, and they either because drug users or straight edgers (or they grow the fuck up). I think THOSE are the people we make fun of, because its just silly.

Sure its a generalization, but fact is if you're busy actively calling yourself straight edge (Girl offers you a drink, 'No thanks, I'm straight edge!) then you need something more important in life. I couldnt contain myself if a 30-40 something year old man with kids called himself straightedge. Its kids stuff.

Nick

Reaction score
What irks me the most is that back in the days of our parents, men who were responsible strong minded individuals were 'straight edge' because it was how you were suppose to be and it was done without thought and with quiet dignity.

Now you get the dyed hair plugged eared kids desperately searching for an identity, and they either because drug users or straight edgers (or they grow the fuck up). I think THOSE are the people we make fun of, because its just silly.

Sure its a generalization, but fact is if you're busy actively calling yourself straight edge (Girl offers you a drink, 'No thanks, I'm straight edge!) then you need something more important in life. I couldnt contain myself if a 30-40 something year old man with kids called himself straightedge. Its kids stuff.

+1

I really dont label myself anything as i dont need to.

i see no point in displaying these life choices other than to make them a fashion accessory.

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
I'll make fun of "straight edge" kids all day long, not because of their "beliefs" but their inherent need to associate themselves with a group of people or a preconceived stereotype. And honestly, if you think you'll refer to yourself as "straight edge" once your 21 or 22, you'll be in for a shock that that died in highschool and guys who still hang out with highschoolers. Once you graduate from high school, or any other higher education, you'll probably immediately feel liberated because there won't be pressure to be associated with different groups/cliques.

I don't eat yogurt or have sex with non-human animals, you don't see me bragging about it. I also don't go around inventing labels to apply to myself and like-minded individuals.

polydeathsphere

Reaction score
why be straight edge when you can just be? "straight edge" takes following the rules to an arrogant level. you can practice a belief system without shoving it in peoples face. not everyone who smokes pot has those damn weed logos everywhere, so plenty of people judge those pot heads like that, when theres plenty more people who smoke their shit without giving other people flak and without taking unnecessary flak for doing it

PlagueX1

Banned
Reaction score
why be straight edge when you can just be? "straight edge" takes following the rules to an arrogant level. you can practice a belief system without shoving it in peoples face. not everyone who smokes pot has those damn weed logos everywhere, so plenty of people judge those pot heads like that, when theres plenty more people who smoke their shit without giving other people flak and without taking unnecessary flak for doing it

Agreed.

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score

I wasn't gonna post, but this makes sense for the most part. Many others get to fly the flag for their cause, so I guess you should too.

Having said that, I don't actually share your philosophy. And regardless of how loosely you use a term, you still said "slut" - and that's not cool.

Tiger

Reaction score
Having said that, I don't actually share your philosophy. And regardless of how loosely you use a term, you still said "slut" - and that's not cool.

We're grown men here (Well, the non edgers :p) and he can use a common term. How is that 'not cool'?

'Flying ones flag' is great and everyone is allowed, but if your flag is extremely lame you will get mocked for it while other people will not. A la scientology, nambla, etc.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
We're grown men here (Well, the non edgers :p) and he can use a common term. How is that 'not cool'?

'Flying ones flag' is great and everyone is allowed, but if your flag is extremely lame you will get mocked for it while other people will not. A la scientology, nambla, etc.

I'm not a man because I'm straight edge? Makes perfect sense.

friday11

Reaction score
This thread is actually quite senseless! Everybody should do (drink, smoke, fuck, ...) what he want's to do!! Live is too short to take care about what you drink and waht you eat or whatever!?

If I want to drink beer, I'll drink beer! And if I want to eat dead animals, I'll eat them!

Fuck this "take care about your way of life"! Enjoy!

You have to know, that I work at a care home and we have to nurse people who smoke and drink (a glass of wine every evening or something) for maybe about 60/ 70 years. And they feel well...

And an other fact why I don't like this trend: When I go to a hardcore concert and order a beer at the bar a lot of people looks like: "Uh, what a fucking bastard...he drinks beer!? He behaves like a subhuman!" I can't take it anymore!

Actually I respect their lifestyle, but they should respect mine too!!