Strandberg / Astral EXR Systems / Announcement!

• Thread starter ChrisLetchford
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ola_strandberg

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
while there are a lot of disheartening comments here, please rest assured that I care.

What you all bring up has been addressed, is being addressed or will be addressed. Some things mentioned are on point, but a lot of things are not correct.

Many of you may not know that I have maintained a day job throughout building up Strandberg Guitars, and have had to rely on licensing to grow, but I have come to realize that the buck has to stop with me (as correctly stated in earlier comments).

Through your support, I am finally at a stage where I am now (starting August 1) taking a step down to two days/week on the day job for a transition period of six months. They have been very good to me throughout these years, so it's the least I can do for them. Assuming that I with full attention on guitars can really work things out and sustain this business, I will then leave the day job completely (timed very well with NAMM, incidentally).

All of these years, I have taken great pride in being approachable and involved, and it has been painful to not live up to expectations lately. Please don't drown me in e-mail, but do feel free to get in touch with me personally if you are not happy with your instrument. I will not be able to help everyone, or address all issues, but I will do my best.

Thanks for the support!

/Ola

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ola_strandberg

Reaction score
And by the way... I haven't announced it yet, but together with GHS, I have developed a custom balanced string set for the Boden 8 going from a .009 to a tapered wound .084".

Thoughts on that?

Espresto

Reaction score
"Many of you may not know that I have maintained a day job throughout building up Strandberg Guitars, and have had to rely on licensing to grow, but I have come to realize that the buck has to stop with me (as correctly stated in earlier comments)."

Does this mean there will be no more production guitars? Will individual builders still be able to license your designs?

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming that I with full attention on guitars can really work things out and sustain this business, I will then leave the day job completely (timed very well with NAMM, incidentally).

I hope everything will work out great for you.

Please don't drown me in e-mail, but do feel free to get in touch with me personally if you are not happy with your instrument.

Sorry, but I had to send one just now :)

And by the way... I haven't announced it yet, but together with GHS, I have developed a custom balanced string set for the Boden 8 going from a .009 to a tapered wound .084".

Thoughts on that?

This is great news. I have been waiting for that announcement. When will it be official?

ola_strandberg

Reaction score
"Many of you may not know that I have maintained a day job throughout building up Strandberg Guitars, and have had to rely on licensing to grow, but I have come to realize that the buck has to stop with me (as correctly stated in earlier comments)."

Does this mean there will be no more production guitars? Will individual builders still be able to license your designs?

There will most certainly be production guitars! But they will be purchased directly from Strandberg Guitars and not from a licensing partner, and they will have had more of my personal attention now that I have more time to devote to it.

The Boden design is still available under Creative Commons. The only thing I had to change was that I had to impose a non-commercial restriction, so that it only applies to self-builds.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ok, a few things Ola.

First, does that mean AES is being absorbed into Strandberg Guitars? For example, next years catalogue will be labelled Strandberg instead of AES?

Will you still be using your dealers, or will you be doing globally what AES has been doing in the USA?

Third, to echo ramses, those strings sound good and I'll be looking forward to checking them out. When can we expect to hear about them? A bit thicker on the lowest string would probably suit me better, though.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Edit: nobody needs to hear by bitching about my s7 boden 8 that I'll never see.
Get a refund. Maybe it's better that way.

Thoughts on that?
In reference to my posts on the last page, this would suit my needs very nicely, Ola. :yesway:

So...does this mean Washburn is out of the game then?
So there will be a "Strandberg Guitars" shop/factory?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
So...does this mean Washburn is out of the game then?

Oh no Washburn is still very much in the picture, I believe that "Astral" and the guys Paul/Allan aren't going to be as active in the process. They're focusing on their music as far as I know (Arecibo, ETB).

I've decided to keep my Boden 7 with me and just seek some sort of compensation. I've been told the top on the rebuild will be similar/the same, so there's no point in wasting this guitar and going through the process. I'm sticking with it, if anything I got a flawless Boden and I think it look great, so that's what matters :hbang:

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Glad to hear the words back Ola.

You really need to get your future team to focus on basic QC issues that pass time and time again. And please to god sort out the top issue that is absolutely killing Strandberg for me (and numerous others).

Hate to sound so negative but Astral has really been dropping the ball on a lot of instruments leaving shop and it does nothing but hurt you :noway:

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
is the puplic wait list down or something? I can't find it anymore...

I asked Ola about that and his reply was that there is no longer a publicly viewable waitlist.
He did say that I will be notified well ahead of time when my slot comes up, so I guess you can assume the same for yourself.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
They removed the M2M public wait list a while ago. It's been email notifications for months now.

Also, that sort of question should probably be in the other Strandberg thread in the luthier section, which is where we discuss the customs.

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score

Thoughts on that?

Sound superb!
I'd totally dig that, incidentally exactly the sizes I'm using on mine right now. Having an estimate would help :)

Ps: best of luck to you and the business, hope it all goes well!

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Haha, so im not alone!

Yep my fretboard needs a good clean, although the dull areas seem to be stained into the finish (can't wipe them off). Anyone have any tips on oiled finish cleaning? The body is pretty faded wherever there has been lots of contact. I am playing this guitar all day every day though.

I've contacted Ola about it and he offered a refinish/ new body, but Im just weighing up wether it is worth it.

One of my customers just recommended using this https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Wood-Finishing/Stock-Sheen-Conditioner.aspx
for necks and fretboards that have that dark or greying thing going on. If the finish itself is damaged you may end up needing to clean and refinish it.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
AES's facebook page has not done a production-.strandberg* update since July 18th. Instead, Strandberg's facebook page has continued posting production updates. I'm wondering if this is just a coincidence, or if the Astral brand is getting discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.