Strandberg Boden in Japan!

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
This is a great option if someone can't invest the 3250 to get a USA Boden, but it's still too much for what it is.

Just out of curiosity, is there some special reason small-batch, high-end guitars shouldn't cost that much just because they're made in Korea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is there some special reason small-batch, high-end guitars shouldn't cost that much just because they're made in Korea?

No there isn't a reason, I'm clearly in the minority based on this thread. :lol: But I personally think it costs more than it should given that it's made in the same location several guitars for half the price and under are also made at. I'm sure people considering buying these are considering it for the same reasons I did for my Wasbergs. I was interested in having a go at the design and features without having to invest money and substantially more time to get an Olaberg made for me. I see the appeal in a cheaper Boden, but considering not a lot of people have gotten their hands on the OS line, I think it's pretty far fetched to call this small-batch and high end. The only reason that production might not be as fast as other guitars made there is that the hardware is still reliant on Strandberg to be made at a production level rate.

Truth be told, how are people expecting them to make a better Boden than a shop that has an excellent reputation in the US with a great track history? Washburn has always had a great reputation for their high end instruments and a lot of people can attest to that from the several guitars they've been building for quite some time (Parker, Nuno B. Series). They had their share of setbacks and issues that shouldn't have been on customer guitars, but so has EBMM, Mayones, and a number of large brands. Resolution and overall consistency is what's important, and that's what I've had with Washburn, the one time I was offered a fix for a problem (Masvidalien Neck issue) it was completely reasonable (1-2 Week Repair ETA, Paid Shipping back and forth). And having 3 of their other guitars with no problems, I never had any doubts about them producing Strandberg guitars.

Overall and realistically, people spend more and go with USA made and other equally viewed locations for their consistency and better quality than the lower and mid range instruments made in other countries.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
But at 2k, you have a lot of competition in the price range for great guitars as well.

But that's even more true at the Washburn $3500 range.

Switching topic, the prevailing gist I get in this thread is that guitars from Korea have a certain price range, i.e., Ibanez Korean-made guitars are X.XX and so I'm only willing to pay X.XX + Y.YY for a Korean made Strandberg. A poor generalization IMO - Korean made Ibanez are lower in quality than Japanese made Ibanez because that is precisely the niche they are expected to fill: lower cost, lower quality. There's nothing saying this is true in this new endeavor.

So I think it's unclear how tight Sweden HQ can keep the quality control on these, and what directives they've given to the factory, how many they're expected to produce, what timetable. With a reasonable amount of flexibility, these could be great buys. And do we really expect these to be any worse than the Strictly7 stuff? I'd rather have a properly done veneer flame than a poorly stained, poorly built, AA figured maple top from those guys, and with other QC issues going on with the Washburn stuff at nearly double the price, I don't see why anyone would scoff at the OS line.

EDIT: I return to my computer with this post half done, finish it, post it, and see it's mostly been hashed out in the meantime ::sigh:: Still! haha

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Truth be told, how are people expecting them to make a better Boden than a shop that has an excellent reputation in the US with a great track history? Washburn has always had a great reputation for their high end instruments and a lot of people can attest to that from the several guitars they've been building for quite some time (Parker, Nuno B. Series). They had their share of setbacks and issues that shouldn't have been on customer guitars, but so has EBMM, Mayones, and a number of large brands. Resolution and overall consistency is what's important, and that's what I've had with Washburn, the one time I was offered a fix for a problem (Masvidalien Neck issue) it was completely reasonable (1-2 Week Repair ETA, Paid Shipping back and forth). And having 3 of their other guitars with no problems, I never had any doubts about them producing Strandberg guitars.

Overall and realistically, people spend more and go with USA made and other equally viewed locations for their consistency and better quality than the lower and mid range instruments made in other countries.

You have obviously never gotten into Starcraft 2 or other E sports.

Korea >> USA :lol::lol:

All jokes aside, if these make an appearance in North America I will more than likely jump on one.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
But that's even more true at the Washburn $3500 range.

Switching topic, the prevailing gist I get in this thread is that guitars from Korea have a certain price range, i.e., Ibanez Korean-made guitars are X.XX and so I'm only willing to pay X.XX + Y.YY for a Korean made Strandberg. A poor generalization IMO - Korean made Ibanez are lower in quality than Japanese made Ibanez because that is precisely the niche they are expected to fill: lower cost, lower quality. There's nothing saying this is true in this new endeavor.

So I think it's unclear how tight Sweden HQ can keep the quality control on these, and what directives they've given to the factory, how many they're expected to produce, what timetable. With a reasonable amount of flexibility, these could be great buys. And do we really expect these to be any worse than the Strictly7 stuff? I'd rather have a properly done veneer flame than a poorly stained, poorly built, AA figured maple top from those guys, and with other QC issues going on with the Washburn stuff at nearly double the price, I don't see why anyone would scoff at the OS line.

EDIT: I return to my computer with this post half done, finish it, post it, and see it's mostly been hashed out in the meantime ::sigh:: Still! haha

Yeah haha, I ended up adding a few points to make it clear that I'm saying this isn't a bad buy (Albeit more than I would drop, but that's not relevant). But it's best to see how they fare in the public before saying they're going to be better made than the Washburn guitars. AFAIK, and talking to some owners of the recent batch, there hasn't been any issues with production overall since they made major changes to how the operation's being run.

But yeah it's completely dependent on how well they're made, there's a ton of Korean made guitars that demolish S7's guitars moreso now that Jims running the entire operation himself :rofl:

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
No there isn't a reason, I'm clearly in the minority based on this thread. :lol:

Nah, I do understand where you're coming from, since I personally say "I'm not paying that much for a Chinese-made guitar" when I see Rasmus by Suhr or the Dingwall Afterburner series. I just think Korea isn't quite getting the credit it's due sometimes. I suppose people could tell me the same about China :lol:.

But I personally think it costs more than it should given that it's made in the same location several guitars for half the price and under are also made at.

That could also be turned around by talking about American-made guitars, considering the price differences between, say, LP Studios and American Standard Strats compared to Suhrs and Tom Andersons.

...or Washbergs :lol:.

fortisursus

Reaction score
Well I guess all we can do is wait. As painful as it is. I'll be eagerly awaiting the verdict. Do they cut some corners or will it be a solid piece? To be honest I was very impressed with a LTD BS-7 I got a few years back. It was a great guitar and cost less than a grand. I definitely think Korea can put out a quality guitar. Now will some of these damn people posting videos do a review instead! Pretty please :)

darkchoco

Reaction score
Heya, I'm a foreigner in Shenzhen. Before the National Day holiday in October, I saw flights round trip from HK to Tokyo for around $300, which is not bad at all. You have permanent residence in Japan? That's pretty rad. I'm not sure about visa requirements (if any) for foreigners going to Japan. I'll have to check it out, obviously, if I intend on going.

I have no idea about foreigners' visa, sorry...

As far as in Shenzhen, why not let those Japanese ship the strandberg directly to HK cause HK is totally tax-free in importing. You just need to find a way to get contact with the guitar shop and purchase online.

rapterr15

Reaction score
That's a great idea actually. I'll just need make a friend in HK who would be willing to have the guitar shipped to them, for me.

Btw, does anyone know if these will be shipping in the standard Strandberg gig bag? I would hope so.

I have no idea about foreigners' visa, sorry...

As far as in Shenzhen, why not let those Japanese ship the strandberg directly to HK cause HK is totally tax-free in importing. You just need to find a way to get contact with the guitar shop and purchase online.

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
Stores are selling them as fast as they are stocking them! They started selling last Saturday, and most of the stock are gone already.

As for the quality, I think the amount sold in Japan (in such a short time too!) says loads about how high it is. Japanese people are VERY picky about quality, so yeah :) having played them, I can say that they rival many high end guitars including Suhr, PRS and MusicMan.

That said, incoming NGD.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Stores are selling them as fast as they are stocking them! They started selling last Saturday, and most of the stock are gone already.

As for the quality, I think the amount sold in Japan (in such a short time too!) says loads about how high it is. Japanese people are VERY picky about quality, so yeah :) having played them, I can say that they rival many high end guitars including Suhr, PRS and MusicMan.

That said, incoming NGD.

That is excellent to hear! :D I'd love the option of having those OS models come to the U.S. without having to import them if possible. No offense to Washburn, but if this factory is putting out similar-quality guitars, why would I pay $3K+ for a used Washberg? Crazy talk, I'd rather buy an OS model new for $2K considering a lot of those Korean factories produce some killer stuff, I'm not all about paying for hyped up used prices for guys trying to flip their remaining Washbergs. :lol: If these are as awesome as you say, it's seriously excellent news for the market in general and terrible news for the U.S. Strandberg flipper crowd! :rofl: If Ola sees how well these are coming along, I hope he will look into expanding the markets in which they are sold so people aren't required to import them, would certainly make life easier for the US/UK folks trying to get their hands on one without the worry about condition/issues or paying absurd prices due to labor, hype or market shortage.

jahosy

Reaction score
Will await your NGD mate :)

Hope the outcome is similar to Jackson with their MIJ 'Professional' models back in the 90's :)

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Will await your NGD mate :)

Hope the outcome is similar to Jackson with their MIJ 'Professional' models back in the 90's :)

What, as in get shut down because the quality was so high?

:lol:

Seriously, though, I own an old Japanese Jackson and it's great. I also own a Korean Ibby and it's fantastic too. If the Korean shops are bumping their quality up then I think that these Korbergs will be very good indeed.

Looking forward to the NGD as well.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Nah, I do understand where you're coming from, since I personally say "I'm not paying that much for a Chinese-made guitar" when I see Rasmus by Suhr or the Dingwall Afterburner series. I just think Korea isn't quite getting the credit it's due sometimes. I suppose people could tell me the same about China :lol:.

That could also be turned around by talking about American-made guitars, considering the price differences between, say, LP Studios and American Standard Strats compared to Suhrs and Tom Andersons.

...or Washbergs :lol:.

Yeah in hindsight it's a silly assumption to make since whenever the new worst factory pops up in a new foreign country everything else gets bumped in reputation :lol:

And yeah very true haha, the gap between everything you mentioned is much larger.

Can't wait to see that NGD as well, maybe I can try and get my hands on one and see what they're like since I'll be traveling over to Japan soon on business.

AuroraTide

Reaction score
Stores are selling them as fast as they are stocking them! They started selling last Saturday, and most of the stock are gone already

Do you know what stores are getting them? I'm heading to Japan for most of February and was hoping to get one but it looks like I might have to try and get a store to hold one for me

Lifestalker

Reaction score
I'm saving for a Strandberg now. CL7 to be exact.

I'd be very interested in playing a Korean model. What woods are being offered on these new models?