Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Just threw some 9.5s onto my Les Paul since all of my other electrics have 9.5s on them and wanted to have the same string gauge across all my electrics. I was kinda familiar with the whole string tension thing and kinda started to get interested in it recently on a whim honestly.

As far as tension and string gauge go, should I be prioritizing the same string gauge or tension across all my guitars? I like that 9.5s have the slinkiness of 9s but the heaviness of 10s (if that makes sense) but I also know that with shorter and longer scale lengths comes different tensions when using the same gauge.
I like the same tension on all of my guitars. All of mine are 25.5" scale length, but I have them in different tunings...thicker strings on lower tunings to match the tension of 9s in E standard.

If you like 9.5s on a Les Paul, I would recommend 9s for your guitars with a standard 25.5" scale.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I like the same tension on all of my guitars. All of mine are 25.5" scale length, but I have them in different tunings...thicker strings on lower tunings to match the tension of 9s in E standard.

If you like 9.5s on a Les Paul, I would recommend 9s for your guitars with a standard 25.5" scale.
I’m getting used to the 9.5s on a Les Paul. I might switch the E-D strings to 26-36-46 just to match the tension on my 25.5 guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Generally I aim for similar tension between instruments, but sometimes higher or lower tension works better for dif tunings/instruments

Find Similar Tension first, then go from Feel from that point on

Stephan

Reaction score
this might be a amateur comment/question, but anyway: I feel like the same calculated tension on a longer scale length feels less „stiff“. In other words: I feel like the perceived tension of X lbs is lower on a longer scale length. It there a physical reason behind this, i.e. is „tension“ not the only parameter we should take into consideration?

BillK

Reaction score
this might be a amateur comment/question, but anyway: I feel like the same calculated tension on a longer scale length feels less „stiff“. In other words: I feel like the perceived tension of X lbs is lower on a longer scale length. It there a physical reason behind this, i.e. is „tension“ not the only parameter we should take into consideration?
You are correct, the exact same strings/gauge on the same tension (despite the final tuning) feels very different in different scales. For example in 24'' short scale it will feel less flexible/stiffer, than it will in 27'' baritone, I think due to the distance and the length of the string, if that makes any sense...

Stephan

Reaction score
You are correct, the exact same strings/gauge on the same tension (despite the final tuning) feels very different in different scales. For example in 24'' short scale it will feel less flexible/stiffer, than it will in 27'' baritone, I think due to the distance and the length of the string, if that makes any sense...
I agree, the length of the string definitely does make a difference in feel, maybe to some degree regardless of tension. If anybody has a sound physical/mathemathcal explanation for this, I would be interested in hearing it.

Another thing I notice, is that many players - especially also in the field of 7/8-string players - argue for thinner strings/less tension in favor of note clarity. Of course this is a matter of personal preference. But then again, I actually do have the feeling that a lower tension e.g. B-string (on a 7, e.g. 59 gauge) goes way more out of tune when hitting it compared to a respective string with higher tension (e.g. 64). So the argument of more clarity with thinner strings is hard to grasp for me. If anybody may help me understand this, let me know :)

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another thing I notice, is that many players - especially also in the field of 7/8-string players - argue for thinner strings/less tension in favor of note clarity. Of course this is a matter of personal preference. But then again, I actually do have the feeling that a lower tension e.g. B-string (on a 7, e.g. 59 gauge) goes way more out of tune when hitting it compared to a respective string with higher tension (e.g. 64). So the argument of more clarity with thinner strings is hard to grasp for me. If anybody may help me understand this, let me know :)
This is true. Periphery often tunes the low string in drop C down to A and occasionally all the way down to G without changing strings (Misha and Mark used a 52, last I heard, and Jake used a 56). I do the same with a 52 and it sounds a lot clearer than the 62 on my 26.5" 7 string.

It's pretty floppy, so you do get more of the BOW effect if you hit the low string hard without palm muting. So you just have to adjust how you play or only play certain things on it. You can also bend a lot easier, e.g., the main riff in The Bad Thing includes a 3-step bend on the 3rd fret that is not really possible with normal tension.

SixStrings_Monk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On a 25.5 scale, I guess I will be fine tuning to B with 13-56, as Sepultura does that haha.
I'm here to ask about the procedure, can I file the nut with sand paper or is that too caveman? I didn't find the tools to sell over here, might have to use the internet again...

That's mainly what holds me all this time from trying out true lower tuning, but I'm getting too old so yolo, hope it works.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree, the length of the string definitely does make a difference in feel, maybe to some degree regardless of tension. If anybody has a sound physical/mathemathcal explanation for this, I would be interested in hearing it. ...
Total Compliance

Just to make-up numbers as an example, let's say that it takes 1 gram of additional force to stretch the string 1% longer. On a shorter total string length, any stretching will a much higher % increase. So what might be a 1% increase on a longer string, may be a 2% increase on a shorter string, Therefore, stretching the shorter string the same physical distance, will require twice as much additional force.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I agree, the length of the string definitely does make a difference in feel, maybe to some degree regardless of tension. If anybody has a sound physical/mathemathcal explanation for this, I would be interested in hearing it.

It's probably a matter of people perceiving brightness as clarity (or lack of mud).

Within the realms of E standard tuning and regular scale lengths, it seems that people commonly perceive heavier string gauges as sounding "fuller", when they actually have more volume and more low end - at the expense of high end presence - not a fuller tone. Within the realms of low tunings, this EQ impact of thicker strings can quickly cause someone to perceive mud / lack of clarity.

Dahlius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have any string recommendations for 7 string standard tuning (26,5 scale)?

trying to match the tension I get with a 10-52 set in standard on a short scale neck

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for Drop C on my les paul (24.75"). I know I can use a calculator, but just curious what others have used for that.

I use 9-54 in B on my 7, and 10-59 in A on my baritone.

Tom odd 7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for Drop C on my les paul (24.75"). I know I can use a calculator, but just curious what others have used for that.

I use 9-54 in B on my 7, and 10-59 in A on my baritone.
9/54 in B (25.5 scale) has a slightly lower tension than 10/59 in A (I assume this is a 27)
I would go for a 10.5/ 48 & replace the 48 by a 52.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hate to be the guy that asks about string gauges, but I have a question related to setup. I bought a (26.5" scale length) 7 string a little bit ago, and replaced the strings the previous owner had on with a set of Ernie Ball 10-62s (tuned to drop G#). Things have felt mostly the same overall, except that the prior guy had a 10-52 6 string set with a .74 on the bottom, and now my low string buzzes and rattles like crazy, even through an amp. Do I need to raise the action on just that string, or should I be doing something else setup-wise?

Last edited:

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is true. Periphery often tunes the low string in drop C down to A and occasionally all the way down to G without changing strings (Misha and Mark used a 52, last I heard, and Jake used a 56). I do the same with a 52 and it sounds a lot clearer than the 62 on my 26.5" 7 string.

It's pretty floppy, so you do get more of the BOW effect if you hit the low string hard without palm muting. So you just have to adjust how you play or only play certain things on it. You can also bend a lot easier, e.g., the main riff in The Bad Thing includes a 3-step bend on the 3rd fret that is not really possible with normal tension.
In respect to the Periphery comment, using the same set of strings then detuning that low... are they (and you) intonating to the new tuning?
I switch between B-Standard and Drop A on my 7-string, it's intonated at standard tuning, and I just sort of accept the fact that unless I re-intonate it every time then it's just gonna sound a bit off, especially fretting higher up the neck. I don't tune lower than that mainly because it seems like a huge hassle unless you have a specific guitar for that tuning.

I have a 25.5"scale 6 in drop C# with 10-52s and I play significantly worse (i think) because of the tight feel compared to a 60 on the 26.5" scale 7 in B-Standard.