The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Now I want the guitar more. That's the cutest amorphous blob I've ever seen! :lol:
download.jpg

it works in multiple ways lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
It’s true. I’m I’m my Cuddling Cute Guitars and Searching for Baby Yoda Memes phase.

I love baby Yoda more than this new Kiesel guitar. I feel as though the Mandalorian would vaporize the Kiesel.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I love baby Yoda more than this new Kiesel guitar. I feel as though the Mandalorian would vaporize the Kiesel.

For sure. Jeff would no sooner get out a, “Bro...” before he’d be shot with a blaster.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
The SH6 is the same overall thickness, so I feel like it'll retain most of the SH550's semi-hollowness, even though the edges of the body are thinner. I haven't played either, so my hunch may be 100% inaccurate. I already know that the SH550 isn't going to be anything like any bent-ply semi-hollow, and is even smaller and sounds less "hollow" than the already small-ish ES-339... I feel like I've got a realistic, low-energy expectation of the hollow-ness.

Function-wise, I'm going with Beryllium pickups, piezo, satin clear neck (gloss body), stoptail bridge.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Hey @spudmunkey , do you know what Kiesel does with their 5way SSS switching? I don't think its standard strat style so that's why I'm asking (also couldn't find anything out by way of electronic information highway).

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Hey @spudmunkey , do you know what Kiesel does with their 5way SSS switching? I don't think its standard strat style so that's why I'm asking (also couldn't find anything out by way of electronic information highway).

I believe it's still the same as what they have in their Kit of the Bolt, which is SSS standard. This is from the assembly instructions:
Screenshot_20191130-100846_Drive.jpg

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Finalizing the last couple things with sales, but basically, come Monday...I'll have ordered the SH6 I've been plotting for, like, 2 years. This will be Carvin/Kiesel #4, and 3rd custom build (one of them was bought on craigslist).

Did they ever mention how long the black friday specials will run? Hoping to order tomorrow as well.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Question for all of you Kiesel owners. When you placed your order, did you do it via phone or did you do it through the online builder?

I’m planning on placing an order soon, and am looking for some feedback on the actual process.

cheers!

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Question for all of you Kiesel owners. When you placed your order, did you do it via phone or did you do it through the online builder?

I’m planning on placing an order soon, and am looking for some feedback on the actual process.

cheers!

Unless you are INTIMATELY familiar with the online builder and the available options, call.

I ordered my first one online in 2008, and recommended that process for years after. I can no longer recommend it. With them expanding their options, the structure of the "old" builder has trouble keeping up. It's too easy to accidentally pick conflicting options*, add unessesary options so that you get charged twice**, or you might misunderstand just how an option might work on your specific build since some of them depend on all sorts of other options***. And finally, their "no pressure" (sometimes to a fault...some people take their laid-back attitude as a "doesn't care" vibe) sales people can also advise on your questions, or can tell you about things that aren't available on the builder.

* If you want an alder body with a koa and maple 5-piece neck, you first have to pick "alder body with maple neck". If you pick "alder body with koa neck" first, you'll be charged for both the 5-piece on the next page AND for the 1-piece maple upcharge, which you don't need.

** If you pick Jet Black for the body finish, but want a black headstock, you might think you need to select the "black painted headstock" option...but you don't, necessarily. The headstock is generally painted like the body on many models. Or, if you are getting a neck-through and select the satin body finish, you don't also have to select the "satin neck" finish, because that's what it will be by default with the satin body.

*** But with the last example above, if you pick a bolt-on, that's tung oil by default. So it's easy to pick options that don't mean what you think they mean, and a salesperson can walk you through every option and make sure you understand everything.

Just make sure you do three things:
1) Get an email of the complete spec list via email before finalizing the order, and double check it. Feel free to post it over to the Kiesel Facebook group or the Kiesel website BBS (or here) and have people look it over if you have any questions. Sometimes folks can also spot some of those inconsistancies.

2) Make sure you are sure you're ordering exactly what you want BEFORE you order, because there are NO changes after ordering. None. Not even a few hours later.

3) Make sure that they notate any options that would void the 10-day trial period (note: it would still have it's full warranty, but you just don't get the 10 days to try it out). If the build still retains it, ask them to note that on it. Issues are rare, but they have come up, so it's a little thing you can do that doesn't hurt them, and can protect you. I'll note that in California, you have to tell people you're recording the call if you want to use a recording of the phone call for any legal issues. Otherwise it's likely inadmissable in court.

I ordered my first online, my second was used, my 3rd was via email and phone, and my 4th (getting finalized now) has been 100% email so far.

Last edited:

kisielk

Reaction score
Chatting with them over the phone was really helpful when choosing colour too. I spoke with Mike and he was able to send me some side-by-side photos of a couple of different red finishes I was interested in via email.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. This community is just wonderful.

I’m nearly ready to pull the trigger, but of course doing my due diligence before giving them a call.

I did ask in a separate thread, but might as well pose the question here too (in the event some overlooked the thread). What are the community’s thoughts on the Kiesel/Hipshot Trem?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
- Always call.
- Ask tons of questions.
- Triple check your invoice.
- Call immediately if anything is even maybe off.
- Send them example photos (via email) of what you want.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Ordered my second Kiesel build. I had something stupid simple so all of the free upgrades for Black Friday made it even cheaper. Got a Kiesel Aries A7H for $1550-ish.

I tried to order a white logo on white white for completely stealth look, they said no. I wasn't shocked. lol

Oh man, you should have told everyone you got that option, then never replied to any follow up questions.

kisielk

Reaction score
Ordered my second Kiesel build. I had something stupid simple so all of the free upgrades for Black Friday made it even cheaper. Got a Kiesel Aries A7H for $1550-ish.

I tried to order a white logo on white white for completely stealth look, they said no. I wasn't shocked. lol
Did you go with gold? That would look awesome on a white guitar.