The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
wouldn't be that hard to slap some headless tuners on a star body. I've been thinking about doing the same thing tbh, but the limiting factor is the neck. You'd either have to get a cheapo neck with floyd nuts that you're willing to chop the headstock off, or you'd have to find someone that can make you one.

Well when I was pricing hipshot headless hardware, you can get the headpiece. I think I have a local lutheir who would make me a neck just not sure his pricing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Well when I was pricing hipshot headless hardware, you can get the headpiece. I think I have a local lutheir who would make me a neck just not sure his pricing.
yeah but if you didn't want to buy the headpiece, a floyd nut would work just fine and it'd be cheaper.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hell yeah. My goal is to build a headless star with a single pickup

I've grabbed Charvel and Fender necks from Stratosphere for <$100 shipped. When something goes on sale, grab it fast!

I think they have some Black Friday/Cyber Monday stuff planned.

kisielk

Reaction score
Welp, just ordered an HH2X... it's been my dream guitar for years and the available options on the black friday sale really match what I would love to have in a custom instrument. I had some old PDFs kicking around that had similar specs but almost $5-600 more than I can get them for now. With the planned price increases for 2020 I figure now's as good of time as any to snatch one up.

Pat

Reaction score
I'd enjoy it a lot more if it were pointer. It looks like a safety version of the real thing.
I actually prefer that it has more rounded edges - think it translates well to other styles. It looks super comfortable to play in this video:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
pokemon-plush-20-cm-ditto.jpeg

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I actually don't dislike the new X shape, and it actually has the bonus of not being humongous and fitting a normal guitar bag, which is of course impossible for the "normal" X shapes. I am only concerned, like with most of the more radical shapes, with the balance when strapped, which should be fine in theory, yet isn't out of the woods when it comes to neck dive.

Viginez

Reaction score
it is basically a mini v220, i don't get the hate.
the shape was always there, the concept being offset on purpose, not just another x...
that said, i don't care for the brand itself.
the v/x is the only shape i like.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I actually don't dislike the new X shape, and it actually has the bonus of not being humongous and fitting a normal guitar bag, which is of course impossible for the "normal" X shapes. I am only concerned, like with most of the more radical shapes, with the balance when strapped, which should be fine in theory, yet isn't out of the woods when it comes to neck dive.

One of the reasons for the "upside down" shape of the V220 and this model is so that there is a longer horn on the bass side of the neck, to act a little more of like a double cut than a single cut. That should help quite a Ut. Then, most of the weight of the body is on the bottom half, in my mind acting a little bit like the Keel of a ship. I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain about balance of that model, but I have not used one personally.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
One of the reasons for the "upside down" shape of the V220 and this model is so that there is a longer horn on the bass side of the neck, to act a little more of like a double cut than a single cut. That should help quite a Ut. Then, most of the weight of the body is on the bottom half, in my mind acting a little bit like the Keel of a ship. I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain about balance of that model, but I have not used one personally.

The OG V220 could be on the neck heavy side, but the ommission of a headstock can be enough to tip the scale there, even discounting the differences in weight distribution from wood choices and whatnot. I like it, actually.