The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Maybe it's just because I have no real connection/nostalgia for "strats", so variations don't look "wrong" to me. Just different. I don't mind it. Could potentially give it a shot over a Delos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Maybe it's just because I have no real connection/nostalgia for "strats", so variations don't look "wrong" to me. Just different. I don't mind it. Could potentially give it a shot over a Delos.
I'm not a traditionalist by any means, I just feel this is the least developed (in terms of design) headless model yet.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Pretty sure these passed few years has just been Jeff looking at random guitars in their lineup and being like

headless.png

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I want to hate it so much but I can't.

Honestly, with solid finish and without translucent or burled tops is not horrible.

Same. I love the solid colors the best, that blue flame next. I'll never like "california burst", no matter the wood (burled or not).

mbardu

Reaction score
Same. I love the solid colors the best, that blue flame next. I'll never like "california burst", no matter the wood (burled or not).

Glad to hear I'm not alone.
I've only seen one caliburst I liked, it was an odd type of Teal but other than that....meeeeeh

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
So is it just me or does it look like Kiesel is really trying to turn into a headless only shop. I mean shit most of their social media are headless guitars and most of their models are now headless. Nothing wrong with that, just something I'm noticing. Wish I liked headless guitars.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
The more headless guitars they sell, the more it makes sense to make. Keep in mind that 3 of their 8 headless models are artist signature models...and of the other 5, 2 of them are just "single cut/double cut" variations of each other, and one of those signature models is just the combination of those two. So really, they have 6 headless models (HD, Type X, Vader, CL7, Holdsworth, and then the Oziris/Zeus/Lee McKinney family) out of their 35 guitar models.

8 out of 35 is about 22.9% of their models. Is it crazy to think that the Zeus, Vader, etc make up 22% of their sales?

MSS

Reaction score
Love the Vader shape. Not so much this one. Personal preference I guess.

mbardu

Reaction score
So is it just me or does it look like Kiesel is really trying to turn into a headless only shop. I mean shit most of their social media are headless guitars and most of their models are now headless. Nothing wrong with that, just something I'm noticing. Wish I liked headless guitars.

Their other models are still very good, from the DCs to the carved tops, but the demand there is not as hot and there is soo much competition and options for traditional guitars!

Now take made in USA, semi custom headless, including ERGs... that's a pretty sweet growing niche, still with the novelty effect.

For better or for worse, Jeff is way more reactive than past generations (and other brands for that matter) and right now, headless is the trend. They are selling like hot cakes, way more volume than their traditional models, so why not bank on that trend!

Won't necessarily last forever though. I mean what's left to cut the head from? A couple of basses, a crescent and a V :lol:

DEUCE SLUICE

Reaction score
The more headless guitars they sell, the more it makes sense to make. Keep in mind that 3 of their 8 headless models are artist signature models...and of the other 5, 2 of them are just "single cut/double cut" variations of each other, and one of those signature models is just the combination of those two. So really, they have 6 headless models (HD, Type X, Vader, CL7, Holdsworth, and then the Oziris/Zeus/Lee McKinney family) out of their 35 guitar models.

Plus, it doesn't cost them anything more than their CNC guys' time to come up with these variations. They've already figured out the hardware and they don't have to maintain substantial levels of stock.

mbardu

Reaction score
Plus, it doesn't cost them anything more than their CNC guys' time to come up with these variations. They've already figured out the hardware and they don't have to maintain substantial levels of stock.

Well in theory yeah, but in practice, even if it's just one more program in the cnc, it doesn't stop them from trying to keep the lineup "somehow" under control with things like the recent wave of discontinued models for instance.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
They look as good or bad as any other headless. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating McDonald's