The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I've not really been into their previous releases, but that song 'Intuition' is ....ing sick.
I'll probably purchase their album when they drop it.
It makes me so happy to hear properly interesting and thoughtful music coming from the often stagnant genre of tech/prog/whatever metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
This album is going to be crazy good. I can't wait to hear the rest of it.

RoRo56

Reaction score
Fun fact #2: The first harsh vocals in Conspire, "We are primordial sounds", (Which are also the first harsh vocals on the album) are both Robby Brown and Bill Oberrender! And I believe the rest of that line is Robby :)

Any idea why Mike isn't doing any of the screaming?

_RH_

Reaction score
Very cool! The "ebb and flow" parts kill me; I expect them to be a big buildup to some glorious major-sounding part, and then it goes a whole different direction. Don't tease me like that, Contortionist!

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
i hear from someone who's heard the whole thing that it's overall a less heavy album than their previous stuff. so i guess align your expectations to more of what we're hearing in Language I and II.

codync

Reaction score
i hear from someone who's heard the whole thing that it's overall a less heavy album than their previous stuff. so i guess align your expectations to more of what we're hearing in Language I and II.

I mean, was anyone really expecting a heavy album? There's apparently one other "heavy" song other than Language II. People will eat it up anyway.

jjfiegel

Reaction score
As long as the songs are more Language I and less Holomovement, I guess I'll be okay with the change. Still disappointed though. Such a waste of Lessard.

avinu

Reaction score
So far this album is sounding sew boss.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
I mean, was anyone really expecting a heavy album? There's apparently one other "heavy" song other than Language II. People will eat it up anyway.

they might have at least expected it to be the same heavy/soft ratio of the previous album. just wanted to give people a heads up. i'm fine either way, i just like their music. :yesway:

anomynous

Reaction score
"Confirming Robbie Baca played bass on 90% of the record. Jordan heard some parts and put his own flavor on some sections.. but the bass is all Baca. Chris was completely out of the picture for the writing of this record. Don't ask me how I know this.."
From Chris Corey (LCTR bass) on reddit.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Honestly, most of that was the mix, especially with Intrinsic. Chris has always had great tones live as far as I know and you can hear that his tone kills in some sections in both previous albums where you can actually hear the bass. For example, not sure how many people have ever noticed but during the Cynic riff in Geocentric Confusion, there's actually a bass solo (Starts at about 1:10). The mix is so shitty though that you can barely hear it. Jamie King just seriously knows what he's doing. Also, I hate Jason Suecof mixes (Had to throw that in there somewhere).

SmackyChot

tune l0w and 0
Reaction score
From the video, it looks like Robby is playing this:

D#----0----0----
A#----2----2----
F -----5----5----
C#----4----4----
G#----x----x----
D#----3----x----
G#---------4----

I think he moves the 2 on the A# up to 4 for one part but I wasn't completely sure. Couldn't tell what Cameron was playing, unfortunately.

Pretty sure they are in that A# standard tuning, (A#,D#,G#,C#,F,A#,D#) because at 4:25 in the music video he does what looks like a

D#---------
A#---------
F ----------
C#----2----
G#----3----
D#----3----
A#----1----

for the rhythm, then into that big chord

D#----0----
A#----0----
F -----0----
C#----2----
G#----3----
D#----3----
A#----1----

Or remove the open F and its a B7M.
And playing that along sounds right to me... but i could be wong.

splinter8451

Reaction score
I finally decided to preorder after hearing Primordial Sound :yesway: I can't wait for late night drives jamming this album.