The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I'm still a little salty that the crazy section in one of their teaser videos didn't make the final cut. I think they could've had one of the coolest moments in the genre this year if they went balls deep on Godspeed, but we just got half of a super sick riff

(i still love the record tho)
I was pretty salty about that too. I still don't get why it never made the album. It was the one clip that actually got me excited for the album. Also wasn't it Absolve that was supposed to have it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
I was pretty salty about that too. I still don't get why it never made the album. It was the one clip that actually got me excited for the album. Also wasn't it Absolve that was supposed to have it?
Everything about this band since Lessard joined has shown how into subtlety they are. I think they may have just pushed it a bit far to make way for a 'better' song that's not about how flashy they can get.

It's almost the same riff that ended up on Godspeed, but it just stops halfway through instead of going into that tappy/doublekick/goodkindofhilarious section

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Everything about this band since Lessard joined has shown how into subtlety they are. I think they may have just pushed it a bit far to make way for a 'better' song that's not about how flashy they can get.

It's kinda like that "if its all fast, the fast parts don't matter" kind of thing for me. Cool, ALL the songs are subtle....that just makes the subtlety mean nothing without some contrast. Next record is gonna sound like straight Enya.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
It's kinda like that "if its all fast, the fast parts don't matter" kind of thing for me. Cool, ALL the songs are subtle....that just makes the subtlety mean nothing without some contrast. Next record is gonna sound like straight Enya.
I'm truly afraid to know what the next album will sound like. It won't be for a long time, but still I don't get where they can go from here. Any further and you can just replace the guitars with keys.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I'm truly afraid to know what the next album will sound like. It won't be for a long time, but still I don't get where they can go from here. Any further and you can just replace the guitars with keys.
Probably could have done that on Clairvoyant.

cip 123

Reaction score
Well this album and the last album language are about the same story.

So if they move on to something different then it's possible it could be "heavy".

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
I have a feeling the next album will have more heaviness.
But with some Enya interludes for good measure.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I have a feeling the next album will have more heaviness.
But with some Enya interludes for good measure.
I would be totally okay with them combining all of their sounds into one. When I'm asking for a heavier album again, I know I'll never get another Exoplanet, and that's okay. I would love a Clairvoyant but make it heavy. To me, that would be the ultimate Contortionist album.

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
I would be totally okay with them combining all of their sounds into one. When I'm asking for a heavier album again, I know I'll never get another Exoplanet, and that's okay. I would love a Clairvoyant but make it heavy. To me, that would be the ultimate Contortionist album.

I'm with you 100%. I would be over the moon to hear such an album. They do both ("extreme") styles so well. It would be a shame for them not to foray back into the heavy end of the spectrum.
One of my favorite pieces of music is the very syncopated chugging bit in Geocentric Confusion that leads perfectly into the ethereal outro that follows. I always admired how well they rhythmically integrated the brutal bits into the sublime sections. While Clairvoyant was a master class in restraint, I would be thrilled to hear them bridge metal and texture again.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I'm with you 100%. I would be over the moon to hear such an album. They do both ("extreme") styles so well. It would be a shame for them not to foray back into the heavy end of the spectrum.
One of my favorite pieces of music is the very syncopated chugging bit in Geocentric Confusion that leads perfectly into the ethereal outro that follows. I always admired how well they rhythmically integrated the brutal bits into the sublime sections. While Clairvoyant was a master class in restraint, I would be thrilled to hear them bridge metal and texture again.
This is exactly why Intrinsic is my favorite album. It was the best of both worlds.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Alright alright, I'm intrigued. Adding these guys to my Spotify list....

cip 123

Reaction score
Cool interview explaining the recent albums, I feel like knowing more about the story makes it easy to appreciate the sounds of the albums rather than complaining there are no chugs.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Cool interview explaining the recent albums, I feel like knowing more about the story makes it easy to appreciate the sounds of the albums rather than complaining there are no chugs.

Yup I will say when it first came out, learning the story made me appreciate it a lot more.

squids

Reaction score
anyone seeing them on this tour? i am going to the sf show it looks like so im wondering what the setlist is like

nyxzz

Reaction score
^

Seconded, Mike is a fantastic vocalist live, was blown away as well the 2 times I saw them.

cip 123

Reaction score
Just a little bit I thought I'd add in here as I don't recall doing it. Got to be local support for them in my town and met Mike afterwards we talked a bit about the newest album.

He said much the same as he has in interviews that it was about his friend passing due to Opioid, but added on thats why the record has that back and forth "Nodding on and on" feeling with a fair bit of repetition as that's what people suffering from opioid addiction go through falling in and out of consciousness, struggling to stay awake. Again it helped me appreciate it more, though I still listen to the album and draw my own stories and help from the songs.

He also commented that he's quite selfish when it comes to writing and said he wrote this record because he wanted to tackle this subject of his friend and it's what he wanted to do, rather than write for others and what others may want. It sounds a little callous when I put it that way but he said it in a very nice and understanding way, the band want to write their own music and not other peoples music basically. It's also not like they can't get heavy as evidenced by the live shows.

Another little bitty for those interested in Last Chance to Reason, he said it was starting again, and that he and Robby (I believe that's the right Baca brother) were heading to rehearsal space soon with them. This was all a couple of months ago. So there is more heavy things.