The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
I honestly thought it was pretty cool!
I mean, cheesy as fuck but it could have been worse.
That's my opinion anyway!
I was given the biggest surprise this morning when I woke up to it in my youtube feed though!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anomynous

Reaction score
522704_4843834048567_1096106973_n.jpg

4/20/2013 Worcester, MA - New England Metal Fest
4/22/2013 Lancaster, PA - Chameleon Club
4/23/2013 Albany, NY - Upstate Concert Hall
4/24/2013 Buffalo NY - Town Ballroom
4/25/2013 Pittsburgh, PA - Altar Bar
4/26/2013 Philadelphia PA - Union Transfer
4/27/2013 Brooklyn, NY - Converse Rubber Tracks @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
4/28/2013 New Haven, CT - Toads Place
4/30/2013 Columbus, OH - A&R Bar
5/2/2013 Los Angeles CA - GOLDEN GODS/NOKIA THEATER
5/4/2013 Newport, KY - Southgate House
5/5/2013 Grand Rapids, MI - The Intersection
5/7/2013 Indianapolis, IN - Emerson Theater
5/8/201 Chicago, IL - Reggies
5/9/2013 Des Moines, IA - Wooly's
5/10/2013 Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
5/11/2013 St. Louis, MO - The Firebird
5/12/2013 Lawrence, KS - The Granada
5/14/2013 Boulder, CO - Fox Theatre
5/16/2013 Boise, ID - Knitting Factory
5/17/2013 Reno, NV - Knitting Factory
5/18/2013 Sacramento, CA - Ace of Spades
5/19/2013 San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
5/20/2013 Anaheim, CA - Chain Reaction
5/22/2013 Albuquerque, NM - Launch Pad
5/23/2013 El Paso, TX - Tricky Falls
5/24/2013 Austin, TX - Mohawk
5/25/2013 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jacks
5/26/2013 Birmingham, AL - Zydeco
5/28/2013 Columbia, SC - New Brookland Tavern
5/29/2013 Charlotte, NC - Amos' South End
5/30/2013 Carrboro NC - Cat's Cradle
5/31/2013 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
6/1/2013 Richmond, VA - Kingdom

Also:

Death-Metal Band The Faceless Draws Criticism for Becoming Less Death-Metal - Los Angeles - Music - West Coast Sound

"There are a lot of things fulfilled on Autotheism that I wanted to explore earlier, but I maybe wasn't comfortable taking those risks then," he says, noting that he was 17 at the time. "My ambitions at that point were slightly more inside the box, but as the band developed and we achieved success, I felt more free to experiment and try more off-center things. My idea for what the band was going to be is fulfilling itself now."
Still, despite the aspects of Autotheism that suggest otherwise, "At its core, The Faceless will always be a death-metal band," Keene insists. "I would say we are more on the proggy side, but there will always be brutality in there somewhere."
He's already begun writing the group's next album, making one wonder: Where is their work going to go from here?
"It's pretty eclectic. Some of the stuff is really technical metal, but some of it is really jazz-influenced stuff. I don't know how to fit it all in and make it The Faceless yet, but I'm going to."

In the meantime, he's flexing different musical muscles -- quite a few -- through another project The Faceless will release later this year: an album of covers and remixes. Tracks will include versions of David Bowie's "As the World Falls Down," from Labyrinth, and Nine Inch Nails' "March of the Pigs." Beyond that, industrial artists will be remixing some of Keene's band's tracks.

Not sure how I feel about industrial artists remixing The Faceless, but David Bowie & NIN covers? Yes please.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
I don't get why people are making such a bug deal over the Burzum shirt.

Plus why are people getting so butthurt over the anti-christian theme of the vid. I mean I'm not surperised since Death Metal(Metal in general) been having anti-religous themes in vids for a long time. I expected it since the song is about the ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche and atheism.

I mean no-one got butthurt over these vids the attack priesthood.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i don't see an issue with the video tbh, it was cheesy and i really wouldn't care to see it again but i have no issue with any of it's contents

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Dunno why people are butthurt about the video either. I am religious and could give a flying fuck about what a bands lyrics are about.
I suppose people apparently feel that Michael Keene is sticking his huge religion denying dick up their asses. :lol:
Personally I think it adds to the music. I always get deep into thought when listening to some of the lyrics on this cd. I don't personally believe in it but it's just an interesting perspective and outlook on shit. :shrug:

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Sick drum play through, I love Keene's solo on that song, always have. Alex has such a good flow & groove to his playing, a real pleasure to watch.

ScrotieMcBoogerballs

Bringer of Storms
Reaction score
Didn't really know where to put this so I figured this would be a good thread. If it isn't feel free to remove it.

I recently covered Planetary Duality. It was honestly the hardest thing I've ever learned(and it shows in some parts) but overall I'm happy with it!

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I thought it was impressive when I thought you'd "only" covered the two part song Planetary Duality, when I saw the length of the video and listened I was blown away. :shred:

ScrotieMcBoogerballs

Bringer of Storms
Reaction score
I thought it was impressive when I thought you'd "only" covered the two part song Planetary Duality, when I saw the length of the video and listened I was blown away. :shred:

Haha, thanks man. Glad you like it! I realized I knew at least one half of every song so I figured I should man up and try the whole album. Glad I did it but I had some bad times with certain ones, especially when my power went out and deleted all my progress on Coldly Calculated Design :wallbash:

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
I have now gone into depth with this album (Autotheism, haven't had enough time since it was released) which does take many, many spins for me, and can conclude to myself that it is in fact an absolute masterpiece and yes it is in the same bracket as planetary duality.

..good for me :yesway:

:D