The Fishman Fluence Thread

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Question for you Fluencers (ha!):

I keep seeing demos of people that are using what they’re calling “Voice 2” on the single coil Voice 3. It does not seem to be the HF Tilt either.

So for any of you that have wired these up, the Open Core Classics to be specific; can you wire up the third voice to have some type of secondary option as well? Or are these people misstating what is going on and it’s another thing like using the other coil of the pickup and not the one dedicated for Voice 3?

it depends on the pickups.

Voice 3 isn’t really a tap or split by itself.
It takes some combination of wiring and routes it through the voice 3 preamp.

that voice 3 preamp overrides voice 1 and voice 2.

some pickups don’t have the voice 3 preamp. For example the original classics and the moderns.

for this pickups you can tap one of the coils using north/south coil out or the using the coil tap selectors.

this is using around the winding and sending it through the voice/voice 2 preamp.

imo this sounds ok and different enough from the non tapped v1/v2. But it definitely doesn’t sound as good as the pickups with the dedicated v3.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
That is precisely how the Tosin set works. That said, they don't have a HF Tilt on the Tosin set (or if they do I don't have it wired).
Are you sure man? I was told it is on there, but as you indicated, it is rarely wired. From what I understand, and I can be wrong, Fishman put that more or less for the moderns, particularly SRC model because they can be harshly bright, some who enjoy warmer alnico tones would call it shrill and abrasive I would think....but I think Tosin's bottom portion of the pickup would show it, would it not? Can you see it on yours?

Strobe

Reaction score
Are you sure man? I was told it is on there, but as you indicated, it is rarely wired. From what I understand, and I can be wrong, Fishman put that more or less for the moderns, particularly SRC model because they can be harshly bright, some who enjoy warmer alnico tones would call it shrill and abrasive I would think....but I think Tosin's bottom portion of the pickup would show it, would it not? Can you see it on yours?

I went back to the picture I took several years ago when I put the Tosin set in my SG. Not seeing a HF tilt - definitely no pins for it, and not seeing a solder pad either.

Attachments

• IMG_20171124_152519.jpg
    IMG_20171124_152519.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 14

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
I went back to the picture I took several years ago when I put the Tosin set in my SG. Not seeing a HF tilt - definitely no pins for it, and not seeing a solder pad either.
Yea, you are indeed correct. However, for what it’s worth I don’t think you need it. Tosin has warmer pickups than the modern (by extension the carpenters as well since they are moderns with a different tonal profile and dynamic response) so the h/f tilt is more for high output ceramic bright tone down, Tosins don’t “need” it

I will say this, I bought some Fluence Carpenter pickups, and I installed them without the h/f tilt, and after installing them , the first thing I thought was “f**** these are bright!”

In fact I’m quite sure SRC were meant for 27” baritone guitars and not standard 25.5” because of how bright and hot they are.

Instead of connecting the h/f tilt, I adjusted my axe presets to compensate for the eq change from my 7 and 8 string carpenters as they work much more suitably in the 8 string

Thanks for confirming

it depends on the pickups.

Voice 3 isn’t really a tap or split by itself.
It takes some combination of wiring and routes it through the voice 3 preamp.

that voice 3 preamp overrides voice 1 and voice 2.

some pickups don’t have the voice 3 preamp. For example the original classics and the moderns.

for this pickups you can tap one of the coils using north/south coil out or the using the coil tap selectors.

this is using around the winding and sending it through the voice/voice 2 preamp.

imo this sounds ok and different enough from the non tapped v1/v2. But it definitely doesn’t sound as good as the pickups with the dedicated v3.
Hey man, are you saying that when you use the soldering coil tap pads (not the pins) method on the modern/carpenter they use the voice 2 preamp?

How do you know which one it’ll “use” or is there a simple bypass so there isn’t a voice , but it’s a coil tapping the pickup poles?

I’m not tech savvy enough to appropriately phrase the question ... sorry

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Yea, you are indeed correct. However, for what it’s worth I don’t think you need it. Tosin has warmer pickups than the modern (by extension the carpenters as well since they are moderns with a different tonal profile and dynamic response) so the h/f tilt is more for high output ceramic bright tone down, Tosins don’t “need” it

I will say this, I bought some Fluence Carpenter pickups, and I installed them without the h/f tilt, and after installing them , the first thing I thought was “f**** these are bright!”

In fact I’m quite sure SRC were meant for 27” baritone guitars and not standard 25.5” because of how bright and hot they are.

Instead of connecting the h/f tilt, I adjusted my axe presets to compensate for the eq change from my 7 and 8 string carpenters as they work much more suitably in the 8 string

Thanks for confirming

Hey man, are you saying that when you use the soldering coil tap pads (not the pins) method on the modern/carpenter they use the voice 2 preamp?

How do you know which one it’ll “use” or is there a simple bypass so there isn’t a voice , but it’s a coil tapping the pickup poles?

I’m not tech savvy enough to appropriately phrase the question ... sorry

the moderns don’t have a v3 preamp currently. So when you tap it will use whatever preamp it’s set too.

elkoki

Reaction score
Maybe I should've posted here first... Who owns the KSE set? What are you general thoughts on them?

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I know we're still under pandemic and all, but music instrument sales have been thru the roof. Why hasn't Fishman released any new Fluence pickups? They have been teasing us for more than a year now about the P90s, the Matt Heafy sig., Moderns w/ V3, etc., what's up?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I know we're still under pandemic and all, but music instrument sales have been thru the roof. Why hasn't Fishman released any new Fluence pickups? They have been teasing us for more than a year now about the P90s, the Matt Heafy sig., Moderns w/ V3, etc., what's up?

because there's like 10 people actually working right now and one of them is ken susi.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

I'm REEEALLY hoping they make humcap/humbucker sized covered 8 string models soon. IE: Abasis, Moderns, Carpenters.

I am not holding my breath though and doubt they'll ever make them at this point.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
because there's like 10 people actually working right now and one of them is ken susi.

U mean due to pandemic? But they are not the only company under these circumstances, and they are not a small company. I have made several orders from HipShot (based in NY) in the last year, I couldn't tell there's anything different, they put a limited inventory warning for a while there, but all good now. I would tend to think Fishman is comparable to a company like HipShot. Warmoth is another example.

Well, my 2nd vaccination is in early May, so I hope we'll get to a more normal situation soon.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
U mean due to pandemic? But they are not the only company under these circumstances, and they are not a small company. I have made several orders from HipShot (based in NY) in the last year, I couldn't tell there's anything different, they put a limited inventory warning for a while there, but all good now. I would tend to think Fishman is comparable to a company like HipShot. Warmoth is another example.

Well, my 2nd vaccination is in early May, so I hope we'll get to a more normal situation soon.

I think putting out a new pickup requires more then just production capacity.
The rocklins were announced and I’ve heard an updated modern is in the works.

juka

Reaction score
I think putting out a new pickup requires more then just production capacity.
The rocklins were announced and I’ve heard an updated modern is in the works.

...and they put out the exclusive to Epiphone Prophecy Fluences including a modern, a classic and a single coil voice, which I find quite an appealing choice of voicings in one pup, especially as they claim the single coil voice to be "hum-free" which is not necessarily the case with their other offerings.
...so they seem to be working on a lot of things, but releases to the public indeed are very low at the moment.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions/help on an issue I'm having...

So I got my ESP USA Horizon with mahogany body, set thru neck and ebony board with Fishman Modern's installed. I'm used to Alder Horizons in the past so I'm having a hard time gelling with this combo so far...I have the Moderns in a all Mahogany body Jim Root Strat and they work great in that guitar. In the Horizon they just seem dull and lifeless. There's no attack and it just somewhat muddy overall. I want to yank them out and try a different Fluence pickup before I yank it all out for some passives. Which Fluence would be a better option, tuned to drop C btw.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

So I got my ESP USA Horizon with mahogany body, set thru neck and ebony board with Fishman Modern's installed. I'm used to Alder Horizons in the past so I'm having a hard time gelling with this combo so far...I have the Moderns in a all Mahogany body Jim Root Strat and they work great in that guitar. In the Horizon they just seem dull and lifeless. There's no attack and it just somewhat muddy overall. I want to yank them out and try a different Fluence pickup before I yank it all out for some passives. Which Fluence would be a better option, tuned to drop C btw.

Do you have a DAW or amp sim or a way to run DIs through your rig?

If you do, check these two videos:

He has DIs of both the Moderns and Classics in a Les Paul. I’ve found his DIs to be some of the better ones for screwing around with to check the pickups.

The Classics may give you the brightness and clarity you’re missing.

elkoki

Reaction score

It's probably your guitar that's the problem