The Fishman Fluence Thread

elkoki

Reaction score
The guitar? Do you care to elaborate at all?

It's possible the guitar doesnt have the sound you're looking for. I think at times we give pickups too much credit for the overall sound . I know theres lots of things at play when it comes to tone but a big part of it is also the guitar you're using, some guitars just don't gel with us...in your case it could be the pickups, but I've had guitars in the past that never quite sounded right to me so I'd swap the pickups over and over ... then I just realized maybe this guitar isn't for me.. each guitar has its own characteristics , resonance etc and regardless of the pickups those characteristics are still always there, if theres nothing you like about a tone of a particular guitar a pickup swap likely wont change that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
It's possible the guitar doesnt have the sound you're looking for. I think at times we give pickups too much credit for the overall sound . I know theres lots of things at play when it comes to tone but a big part of it is also the guitar you're using, some guitars just don't gel with us...in your case it could be the pickups, but I've had guitars in the past that never quite sounded right to me so I'd swap the pickups over and over ... then I just realized maybe this guitar isn't for me.. each guitar has its own characteristics , resonance etc and regardless of the pickups those characteristics are still always there, if theres nothing you like about a tone of a particular guitar a pickup swap likely wont change that.
I mean I pretty much knew what you were thinking but I had to ask to be sure, haha. Yeah it would be a shame if that's the case since the guitar is so damn nice. I'll try a set that's a bit brighter and see what does before I do anything too crazy.

elkoki

Reaction score
I mean I pretty much knew what you were thinking but I had to ask to be sure, haha. Yeah it would be a shame if that's the case since the guitar is so damn nice. I'll try a set that's a bit brighter and see what does before I do anything too crazy.
Hm... well what's brighter than Fishman Fluence Moderns ?

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score

Yeah I'm dealing with that one right now. I can't believe I'm saying this but if I wanna tune my SV lower than D it's looking like I need something brighter than EMGs which is ridiculous. There's literally none of the metallic clangy thing they're known for and it's all low mids and chunk with a really jagged top end.

I don't wanna go with moderns since they are so so damn tight. Anyone know of a set that keeps the tightness and cut of moderns without losing some chunk? Like both of my guitars are really thick and aggressive and it's nice but idk I have a feeling it's gonna get too much quick.

elkoki

Reaction score
classics. townsends
The classics are bright pickups but they're not as tight as any ceramic pickups which could end up making the overall sound even muddier. Normally moderns or classics aren't muddy but in his guitar it's another story . Some of the darkest sounding guitars I've played were usually all mahogany body and neck guitars

Last edited:

juka

Reaction score
classics. townsends

Interesting that you mentioned the Townsends as being bright.
Maybe my set was defective then, because I always kept reaching for the tone pot to check it's fully open. Mine always sounded like the HF tilt was enabled (which Fishman support assured me that the Townsends didn't have that feature at all) or the tone halfway down... Without that they would have easily become my favorite Fishman set...

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
only thing I want...and I know I'm probably the only person that wants this is a super hot mode.

If I ever were to be able to develop a set of signature Fluences, it'd be an 8 string single set with Voice 1 being a combo of Voice 1 from the regular single widths and the Gristletones, and Voice 2 a very hot Fluenced EMG SX with less mids. So, I'm with you on wanting hot singles.

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if open core type fluences can have a pickup cover added? Just ordered the reyes set and am just debating the aesthetics of the guitar Im dropping them into and wondering if its an option

elkoki

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if open core type fluences can have a pickup cover added? Just ordered the reyes set and am just debating the aesthetics of the guitar Im dropping them into and wondering if its an option

You need to solder pickup covers to the bottom of the pickup, you can't do that to uncovered Fluence's because the bottom of the pickup is a printed circuit board. You could try messaging Fishman though. Usually you need to solder the cover on because it needs to be grounded..

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You need to solder pickup covers to the bottom of the pickup, you can't do that to uncovered Fluence's because the bottom of the pickup is a printed circuit board. You could try messaging Fishman though. Usually you need to solder the cover on because it needs to be grounded..
Ahh that makes sense, appreciate the reply

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

I’ve been toying with the idea of vinyl wraps if I go with Fluences or EMGs. Some of the materials may be a bit too thick though. Not that they would interfere with the tone directly, but height concerns.

juka

Reaction score
The classics are available as "covered" and open-coils, but even at that point Fluence are nothing like conventional pups as they not just put a metal cover over the coils, it's a quite different construction underneath.

Really wish they would offer more color options on their various models. Had to use Jockomo Pickup stickers to turn my Merrows into Zebra (with questionable results).

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
The classics are available as "covered" and open-coils, but even at that point Fluence are nothing like conventional pups as they not just put a metal cover over the coils, it's a quite different construction underneath.

Really wish they would offer more color options on their various models. Had to use Jockomo Pickup stickers to turn my Merrows into Zebra (with questionable results).

They have been so stagnant imho, all pickups should be available for 6, 7, 8 strings, in both humbucker and bar formats. How about a custom shop option (e.g. custom voices) as well, that'd be dope.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Never believed in tonewood until i changed pu's in my M2
The JB had a super snarly and high mid spike which i thought was the JB only
Put an 81/89 combination in and still, that snarl is still present just a tad less aggressive.

elkoki

Reaction score
Never believed in tonewood until i changed pu's in my M2
The JB had a super snarly and high mid spike which i thought was the JB only
Put an 81/89 combination in and still, that snarl is still present just a tad less aggressive.

It's not necessarily all tone wood either.. Lots of things come into play too, hardware, scale length, bolt on or not etc.. Each guitar has it's own natural resonance and you can sorta mask it with certain pickups but a guitar will always sorta sound like itself no matter what's in it. It's like adding Gibson Les Paul pickups in a Fender Strat hoping it'll sound like a Gibson or the other way around.. Pickups are just a small part of the overall chain.