The Fishman Fluence Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
kinda terribly.
The moderns are a bit heavier. but the Tosin has them beat on versatility and split coil tones.

Can't agree more. Also, IME, the Tosins are much more sensitive to distance from strings. For me, there's a particular sweet spot for the Tosin neck pickup in my Aristides 070R where it just sings, one of my favorite neck lead tones ever. I'm always surprised when I hear Tosin saying that these pickups were optimized for cleans, I'm like "What's he talking about?" :D

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Which of the Fluences available in 7-string are the least compressed? Unfortunately, the descriptions are "imprecise". :shrug:
  • A lot of the descriptions of the Moderns say they're "less compressed" than EMGs. That still implies they're compressed
  • The Merrow's are supposed to be very passive-like and are supposed to have "up-front dynamics", but I've seen reviews that say they're compressed and don't have the dynamics you'd expect
  • Classics don't have any info other than V1 on the neck has "the dynamics and output level you want."
  • V2 on the Tosin's are described as having "Passive pickup perfection", but I've seen reviews that say they're too compressed, which I would expect, if they're intended to have a mode optimized for tapping.
  • I haven't been able to find anything regarding dynamics/compressiveness of the Javier Reyes set.

elkoki

Reaction score
Which of the Fluences available in 7-string are the least compressed? Unfortunately, the descriptions are "imprecise". :shrug:
  • A lot of the descriptions of the Moderns say they're "less compressed" than EMGs. That still implies they're compressed
  • The Merrow's are supposed to be very passive-like and are supposed to have "up-front dynamics", but I've seen reviews that say they're compressed and don't have the dynamics you'd expect
  • Classics don't have any info other than V1 on the neck has "the dynamics and output level you want."
  • V2 on the Tosin's are described as having "Passive pickup perfection", but I've seen reviews that say they're too compressed, which I would expect, if they're intended to have a mode optimized for tapping.
  • I haven't been able to find anything regarding dynamics/compressiveness of the Javier Reyes set.

Listen to many online demos of each and go with what sounds better to you. The classics should be less compressed (I think?) than all the others. In the end go by what you like, not what someone else thinks...

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Listen to many online demos of each and go with what sounds better to you. The classics should be less compressed (I think?) than all the others. In the end go by what you like, not what someone else thinks...
Thanks. Tone-wise I know which ones I like, but online demos are not going to be able to show compression/lack-of-dynamics, unless the demo makes a point of playing softly and loudly w/o additional compression in the signal chain.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Look up a guy on YouTube named Gerry Trevino. He has a couple of demos of the Classics vs other pickups and he includes DI files to download. They are the 6 string OG versions with no voice 3, but they’re some of the better DIs I’ve found. They are what turned me on to the Classics and made me track some down to try. They’re my favorite Fluences still and supposedly, the 7 and 8 string Open Cores sound just like them. I recently tried out 7 string Merrows as those are adjacent supposedly to Classics and was underwhelmed. That said, I have my suspicions that the pickups in the guitar I played may have had some type of issue.

juka

Reaction score
Look up a guy on YouTube named Gerry Trevino. He has a couple of demos of the Classics vs other pickups and he includes DI files to download. They are the 6 string OG versions with no voice 3, but they’re some of the better DIs I’ve found. They are what turned me on to the Classics and made me track some down to try. They’re my favorite Fluences still and supposedly, the 7 and 8 string Open Cores sound just like them. I recently tried out 7 string Merrows as those are adjacent supposedly to Classics and was underwhelmed. That said, I have my suspicions that the pickups in the guitar I played may have had some type of issue.

When you heard a difference in the neck position(s) then there def was an issue as they are exactly the same.
Regarding the bridge pups: I never had a chance to really play them side by side, but I remember liking the classic when I tried it some years ago and there is a reason why the Merrow bridge pup is my No. 1 since I first put it in one of my guitars in 2019.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The classics, keith merrow, and javier reyes sets would be the least compressed of the fishman stuff that I've heard.

Orfonso

Reaction score

So I was looking for the same from Fishman's and I'm not sure it's the right brand tbh. My Strandberg came with moderns which are definitely the best sounding active I've heard, but super compressed. I recently got the Javier Reyes set installed and while It's definitely better, I still find myself hearing too much compression.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
I don't know how they managed to get EMG 707s to sound so much like trash but wow those things are ASS. 81s are damn good and hold their weight but these 707s suck donkey balls. Fizzy, scooped, kinda boomy, very little clarity especially on a low A. Very compressed and they have a kind of twang on the top end that sounds so scratchy I can't take it and you can't dial it out easily. The fact that they're lower output than my X2N in my bird and still aren't as tight, clear, or dynamic is just a shame.

ew

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know how they managed to get EMG 707s to sound so much like trash but wow those things are ASS. 81s are damn good and hold their weight but these 707s suck donkey balls. Fizzy, scooped, kinda boomy, very little clarity especially on a low A. Very compressed and they have a kind of twang on the top end that sounds so scratchy I can't take it and you can't dial it out easily. The fact that they're lower output than my X2N in my bird and still aren't as tight, clear, or dynamic is just a shame.

ew
100% agreed. For 7 string stuff from EMG I personally find the Super 77-7 set to sound amazing.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
100% agreed. For 7 string stuff from EMG I personally find the Super 77-7 set to sound amazing.

lol I didn't realize this was the wrong thread, I thought this was the emg thread whoooops

I'm not gonna swap pickups since I'm not keeping it long but I really wanna try the retro actives, if they would split I would've tried a pair but sadly they do not

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
lol I didn't realize this was the wrong thread, I thought this was the emg thread whoooops

I'm not gonna swap pickups since I'm not keeping it long but I really wanna try the retro actives, if they would split I would've tried a pair but sadly they do not
I agree I wish they had a coil split as well. But for a nice simple humbucker set emg's retroactives are the best thing they have going IMO.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

ew

Nah. I love the 707 in my Wolbers 7 string. I swapped em out with Blackouts (too much gain) , 81-7 (too thin), Modern Ceramic (no bass) and I still went with my 707. It just gives me 90s Nevermore and Fear Factory tones instantly.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just slapped the Townsends back into one of my guitars. Absolutely forgot how great they are. Probably one of my fav split tones because it's fairly raw.
This has been asked a few times probably, but I wasn't to keen on the moderns, would the abasi set be a smarter choice? I'm trying to avoid that odd cocked sound the moderns tend to have (in some guitars more, in others less). I know they probably yank em in every regard of versatility, but i never heard them in absolute high gain situations. Anybody any experience?

Partario

Reaction score

I have the Kieth Merrow set that came in my KM7 mkiii. They aren’t dynamic at all. It feels like no matter how I play, where I palm mute, and how hard I pick, they always sound the same. They are very “flat” sounding and not lively at all. I just pulled them out today and put in some dimarzio edges I had laying around, and holy shit they sound and feel so much better. I’ve played EMGs that I’ve liked, so it’s not an active vs passive thing. If I had to say something good about them, they play great through amp sims and don’t really need EQ’d. Sounds great in the mix. They sound and feel pretty awful out of my 6505+ though.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... moderns which are definitely the best sounding active I've heard, but super compressed. I recently got the Javier Reyes set installed and while It's definitely better, I still find myself hearing too much compression.
I have the Kieth Merrow set that came in my KM7 mkiii. They aren’t dynamic at all. It feels like no matter how I play, where I palm mute, and how hard I pick, they always sound the same...
Thanks guys! That's what I was afraid of. My assumption is that the Abasi's are just as compressed, if not more, because they're supposed to be great for tapping.

Anybody got a set of Classics they can test? Can you play very quiet, increase volume to that "edge of break-up" point and then play harder to push it over the edge? Without messing with the volume control, of course.

Partario

Reaction score
Thanks guys! That's what I was afraid of. My assumption is that the Abasi's are just as compressed, if not more, because they're supposed to be great for tapping.

Anybody got a set of Classics they can test? Can you play very quiet, increase volume to that "edge of break-up" point and then play harder to push it over the edge? Without messing with the volume control, of course.

Not sure how well known this is, but the KM set has a Classic neck. Only the bridge is different.

In my experience the neck pickup felt and sounded just like the KM bridge but with less treble. It didn’t have that “tubular” wide open sound that my other passive necks have. I know people like them, but this is just my 2 cents as someone who plays passives and wanted to try actives. Good luck on your search!

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
The classics, keith merrow, and javier reyes sets would be the least compressed of the fishman stuff that I've heard.

^ This! IME, the JR set was the least compressed, if it was a tad brighter, it would have been perfect. Tone-wise, it was kind of the opposite of the Classics lol.

Not sure how well known this is, but the KM set has a Classic neck. Only the bridge is different.

In my experience the neck pickup felt and sounded just like the KM bridge but with less treble. It didn’t have that “tubular” wide open sound that my other passive necks have. I know people like them, but this is just my 2 cents as someone who plays passives and wanted to try actives. Good luck on your search!

IMHO, I don't think I can ever confuse a Fishman Fluence w/ a passive if I'm playing. Sound-wise, if I'm just listening, specially with distortion or reverb/fx, they are very close, very hard to distinguish.

My favorite neck tone is whatever comes out of a passive Alnico 2 :D, followed by Tosin's neck voice 2 (iirc, the warmer one). The Juggernaught neck I recently got in the Aristides H/08 is not too shabby either.

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

ew
You sure something's not wrong with your 707's? I love my 707's. I just lower them really low and they balance out well. Maybe they don't agree your gear or guitar or something.