The Fishman Fluence Thread

mrdm53

Reaction score
I just finished putting Fishman Classic Open Core 8s in my 27-30" Agile 7-string. I currently have it in E or F, all fourths. I'd never bought or installed pickups before. I only have a couple guitars with EMGs to compare them to (that and the stock passives).

I opted for the wiring with 1 push/pull volume (voice 1/2), a 3-way switch, and a tone (coil split...or tap, I always forget the distinction). I also bought the rechargeable battery pack. The cavity was a tight fit. Really had to squeeze everything in there. I also had to drill a new hole for the output jack, since it had a long-thread jack previously. I took my time but soldering turned out not to be as bad as I'd thought.

I think they're great. I was worried it'd be a waste of money and I'd prefer the stocks. Maybe I'm just rationalizing the cost, but I think they sound great. All the different voices and options do actually sound different and useful. Nothing sounds like unusable garbage. Having 3 voice 1, 3 voice 2, and 3 coil tap options is really cool. They sound great with both cleans and heavy stuff. They're not as magical as the marketing would have you believe, but they're worth it IMO.

Interesting. Any clips to share?

I love Fishman Fluence Modern tone on my custom 7 string, that i decided to upgrade my 8 to another Fluence.

Problem is, i am using passive routing, so my choice is kinda limited with:

Fluence Open Core Classics
Or
Fluence Keith Merrow signature

Anyone has experience with both of them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

juka

Reaction score
Neck pup is exactly the same in both sets, Bridge pups differ in only 1 voicing: where the classic has the "hot rod" voicing, the KM has Keith's signature voicing (the other two are the same).

Javier Reeves will have his open core signature set released at NAMM, but i have no clue, how it will be voiced.

Purelojik

Reaction score
I wonder if they'd ever just release a Fluence with a variable peak frequency option. Fiscally it makes more sense for them to release new models with various voices for different artists, but I feel that with the existing technology they could just as easily have a set of wires where you could basically parametrically sweep to a 'voice' that suits the individual player.

Then again I might be totally off with my understanding of how these pickups work but from what I've seen and played so far I feel like they'd sell more collectively if this was an option.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I wonder if they'd ever just release a Fluence with a variable peak frequency option. Fiscally it makes more sense for them to release new models with various voices for different artists, but I feel that with the existing technology they could just as easily have a set of wires where you could basically parametrically sweep to a 'voice' that suits the individual player.

Then again I might be totally off with my understanding of how these pickups work but from what I've seen and played so far I feel like they'd sell more collectively if this was an option.

I dont think that's how that works. Those Fluence stacked boards still need to be reconfigured to get your desired eq and gain like how you would need to wind wire and choose magnets accordingly dependent on your desired outcome/tone. Plus there's the issue of your preamp. i think it's all analogue in that respect.

However, playing around with the peak frequency is probably possible by installing something like that EMG active tone pot. But that just changes the eq.

Now, if the technology was digital, it would be easier to just upload a tone signature and tweak in real-time like a pickup modeler.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I was looking into buying a Tosin set used. The seller does not have the wires and pots, which is fine since I have plenty of wire and pots from previous guitars. Instead of using the quick connectors, can I just solder the wires straight to the pins on the pickup or do I have to use the quick connectors?

Strobe

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I was looking into buying a Tosin set used. The seller does not have the wires and pots, which is fine since I have plenty of wire and pots from previous guitars. Instead of using the quick connectors, can I just solder the wires straight to the pins on the pickup or do I have to use the quick connectors?

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is that it is going to be tough to do that without causing a short. The pins are close. Better to solder to wires hooked into a quick connector. It would only cost a few bucks.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Would advise against that. It would also knock off some value when you resell it in case you dont like it.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Man I'd love to see some comparisons of Javier's set to either the moderns or Tosin's. These seriously sound amazing, especially the clean tones he's getting. Oh man what to get, these or Tosin's.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Man I'd love to see some comparisons of Javier's set to either the moderns or Tosin's. These seriously sound amazing, especially the clean tones he's getting. Oh man what to get, these or Tosin's.

From what I can hear from his demo, the Moderns would sound small in comparison. lol This seems to have huge low end without being overbearing like the carpenters.

The Tosins have more low end to compared to the moderns and there's some low mids too, but the Tosin sounds sharper and more trebly in V1. The Javier seems to have a trimmed and clean high end.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Javier sure makes those sound great but then again he has talent.
I've been waiting for the Tosin 8 set in white which they finally announced. If the Reyes set comes out before I might be tempted to go with those instead for my 8 and Tosins in a 6. Or why not the other way around. Choices.

Purelojik

Reaction score
god that man is such a fantastic musician. i do like the sound hes getting from those. I'll have to get a set and give it a shot.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any indication when the Reyes model is coming out? And also, did I imagine things, or were they suppose to eventually make more “Open Core” models of their existing pickups? I only ask because, well, I don’t fell like having to get routing done...

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Is there any indication when the Reyes model is coming out? And also, did I imagine things, or were they suppose to eventually make more “Open Core” models of their existing pickups? I only ask because, well, I don’t fell like having to get routing done...
Unless they announce something at NAMM, I don't believe they have any plans for any more open core models. Although I really wish they would do more since the covered pickups are very limiting for many. I'd also like to know when Javier's set it coming out. From the demos, I feel like I prefer them more than Tosin's set. They sound a bit warmer compared to the Tosin set.

Chad

Reaction score
Anybody know what the most current revision numbers are for the Classic and Modern sets?