The Fishman Fluence Thread

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
So I just installed an Abasi set into my Charvel DK24. The cleans are surprisingly very nice, but holy hell under high gain there is so much noise and feedback. Everything is wired correctly, but for some reason the noise is as loud as a single coil under high gain. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nistley

Reaction score
So I just installed an Abasi set into my Charvel DK24. The cleans are surprisingly very nice, but holy hell under high gain there is so much noise and feedback. Everything is wired correctly, but for some reason the noise is as loud as a single coil under high gain. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
Thats how it is for me. I think they sound like singles because they are... it's not an EQ curve. Also look at Olas review of Larada 7, insane noise.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Abasi set in my 8 string. They're wired to a push/pull volume to switch between the 2 voicings, and a 5 way switch. 1,3,5 are the humbuckers alone and combined, which are not noisy in the least. 2 & 4 are single coil combos, which have a bit of noise under heavy gain, but nothing crazy.

lewis

Reaction score
this is why I dont understand how people are giving Fishman the edge.
Ive used multiple EMG single coils in the past, and all sound amazing and totally noiseless.

Fishman release a set everyone bums because of their incredible options - but if plenty of the said options are insanely noisy options, rendering them useless, whats the point?

Ive seen loads of reviews now about the Abasi set being stupidly noisy. I thought it could have been user installation error - then Ola just reviewed one of the Abasi guitars direct from their Factory. Comes with the Abasi Fishmans installed and its exactly the same in his review too.
Terrible over the top noise.

My modern set get stupid at live volumes too in terms of feedback and noise.
Yet my EMGs always cut better live, and never give me the same feedback/noise options.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Just watched Ola's video. I hear noise on the 2 single coil settings under loads of gain.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
something EMG single coils dont do - under loads of gain :)

That’s cool, but 2 out of 8 voicings having noise isn’t that big of a deal to me. Especially when they’re tones I wouldn’t use with loads of gain.

I’ve only tried the Abasis, but voice 2 on the bridge is like the sound I’ve always been trying to get from an 81. All the cut, but with the chunk of an 85.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
this is why I dont understand how people are giving Fishman the edge.
Ive used multiple EMG single coils in the past, and all sound amazing and totally noiseless.

Fishman release a set everyone bums because of their incredible options - but if plenty of the said options are insanely noisy options, rendering them useless, whats the point?

Ive seen loads of reviews now about the Abasi set being stupidly noisy. I thought it could have been user installation error - then Ola just reviewed one of the Abasi guitars direct from their Factory. Comes with the Abasi Fishmans installed and its exactly the same in his review too.
Terrible over the top noise.

My modern set get stupid at live volumes too in terms of feedback and noise.
Yet my EMGs always cut better live, and never give me the same feedback/noise options.

I think it's people preferring the amount of tonal options/less preamp compression vs the noise. The Classic Set I tried had way more noise compared to the 57/66, but the Classic Set has much better cleans and more tonal options overall (even if I only truly loved 1 or 2 or the sounds). I agree though that the noise issue isn't discussed enough. Fishman state that their pickups are "very low noise", but to me this isn't exactly true in the case of the Classic Set or the Abasi Set (Single Coil Mode).

However my Modern Set doesn't get much noise, and has less preamp compression which creates a more dynamic pick attack (I mostly use the Passive Mode).

One thing I don't love about the traditional Active EMG's is that you lose a lot of transients that are normally felt with traditional passives. And another problem with the preamp compression is Clean tones tend to sound thin and plastic-y (though the Modern set doesn't offer much in terms of Clean tones either). This is why I eventually switched to the RetroActive EMG's, which were a step in the right direction. Although the Fat 55-7 is too muddy and noisy to be usable in the Bridge, and the Super 77-7's were a bit honky in the Bridge and too hot in the Neck. I know they offer the Hot 70 Set, but EMG burned me by refusing to answer my support email regarding a DOA Neck pickup from the Super 77 Set (6-String - since I bought two sets).

I also have an 81TWX/89TWX set that gets pretty noisy and weak in single coil mode. I read an interview with Richard Kruspe of Rammstein saying he switched over to Fishman pickups for some guitars because they're more consistent, and some of the EMG's pickups he get sound bad (likely a noise issue).

I will say one glassy tone I have been unable to replicate came from the 707TWX/707TWX-R Set I had installed in an ESP FR-7 a few years back. But that was about it. I have been curious about trying the JR Set, but have been hesitant regarding how they still refuse to reply to my DOA Super 77 Neck Pickup email.

It's 2020 and in my estimation, no pickup manufacturer can offer it all in a single pickup (at least for my taste and preferences). And don't even get me started on BKP's...they sound fine enough but are way too expensive for what they are. If I'm paying $300+ for a pickup it better have more than one voice, a wide array of applications, and have little to no noise or volume drop when changing modes.

lewis

Reaction score
I think it's people preferring the amount of tonal options/less preamp compression vs the noise. The Classic Set I tried had way more noise compared to the 57/66, but the Classic Set has much better cleans and more tonal options overall (even if I only truly loved 1 or 2 or the sounds). I agree though that the noise issue isn't discussed enough. Fishman state that their pickups are "very low noise", but to me this isn't exactly true in the case of the Classic Set or the Abasi Set (Single Coil Mode).

However my Modern Set doesn't get much noise, and has less preamp compression which creates a more dynamic pick attack (I mostly use the Passive Mode).

One thing I don't love about the traditional Active EMG's is that you lose a lot of transients that are normally felt with traditional passives. And another problem with the preamp compression is Clean tones tend to sound thin and plastic-y (though the Modern set doesn't offer much in terms of Clean tones either). This is why I eventually switched to the RetroActive EMG's, which were a step in the right direction. Although the Fat 55-7 is too muddy and noisy to be usable in the Bridge, and the Super 77-7's were a bit honky in the Bridge and too hot in the Neck. I know they offer the Hot 70 Set, but EMG burned me by refusing to answer my support email regarding a DOA Neck pickup from the Super 77 Set (6-String - since I bought two sets).

I also have an 81TWX/89TWX set that gets pretty noisy and weak in single coil mode. I read an interview with Richard Kruspe of Rammstein saying he switched over to Fishman pickups for some guitars because they're more consistent, and some of the EMG's pickups he get sound bad (likely a noise issue).

I will say one glassy tone I have been unable to replicate came from the 707TWX/707TWX-R Set I had installed in an ESP FR-7 a few years back. But that was about it. I have been curious about trying the JR Set, but have been hesitant regarding how they still refuse to reply to my DOA Super 77 Neck Pickup email.

It's 2020 and in my estimation, no pickup manufacturer can offer it all in a single pickup (at least for my taste and preferences). And don't even get me started on BKP's...they sound fine enough but are way too expensive for what they are. If I'm paying $300+ for a pickup it better have more than one voice, a wide array of applications, and have little to no noise or volume drop when changing modes.

Such an excellent post!
well written.

boltzthrower

Reaction score
I...but EMG burned me by refusing to answer my support email regarding a DOA Neck pickup from the Super 77 Set (6-String - since I bought two sets)...

Lame. Kind of off topic here but its interesting to see I'm not the only one who has received duds from EMG. I received a bad 81-7H from EMG back in February. Customer support was good in that they exchanged it for another one, but, the second one was messed up too. First one was very low output, second one was as well but not quite as low as the first. I confirmed their bunkness by swapping them out with a good 81-7H I have. When I sent in the first one they tested it and told me it was slightly lower output than normal which is ridiculous 'cause with amp settings for high gain death metal with my good 81-7H, this dud sounded like AC/DC at best. I decided to keep the second one for recording clean tones. I need a good working replacement but I'm wary of getting burned with a third dud.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced absolutely awful quality with Fishman products?

I’ve been really keen to try these, first set (Merrow) arrived with a thread missing - it hadn’t been cut. Second set arrived (Modern) with bent casing and a bad thread.

Note all threads were checked by hand before attempting to install. No point with these two sets even trying to install.

I should have cut my losses at this point but didn’t.....

Third set, at last, they managed the physical manufacturing of the pickup OK but the push pull pots were hosed. No pull up!

Just wondered if this is common? I’ve either been blisteringly unlucky or fishman have recently been on a drive to improve margin by cutting some corners that impact quality.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced absolutely awful quality with Fishman products?

I’ve been really keen to try these, first set (Merrow) arrived with a thread missing - it hadn’t been cut. Second set arrived (Modern) with bent casing and a bad thread.

Note all threads were checked by hand before attempting to install. No point with these two sets even trying to install.

I should have cut my losses at this point but didn’t.....

Third set, at last, they managed the physical manufacturing of the pickup OK but the push pull pots were hosed. No pull up!

Just wondered if this is common? I’ve either been blisteringly unlucky or fishman have recently been on a drive to improve margin by cutting some corners that impact quality.

I feel like I've noticed similar comments regarding new Fishman sets within the past year. Hopefully it isn't indicative of a larger quality control issue.

Chromatizm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So guys, is it a common thing for Fishman Abasi to have a lot of noise in a single-coil mode?

I'm thinking of replacing my MFD pickups in G&L S-500 with Abasi set.
I want to do this because I love the power and flexibility/how versatile MFD's are (and what you can get with all possible pickup combinations, including all three together), BUT the amount of noise and feedback is killing me, especially live. I don't use A LOT of gain, but I play via three boosters (RC, EP and BB+ with both channels engaged), plus I prefer a slightly distorted channels over the clean ones, so the noise is over the roof sometimes. And it is not because I use a lot of gain, no - think Ben Eunson sound - it's because of the pickups and boosters.

And reading the last messages in the thread make me question my choice. I will use a single-coil mode A LOT - I'm totally a Strat-sound kind of guy, but I think I need the rest of the Abasi set voices for many things I play, including straight-ahead jazz and a lot of legato lines.

So I'm not really ready to shell out almost $300 and get the same noise, or maybe even worse. because I was so expecting the single-coil sound without any of the issues connected with it :/

Please advise, is transferring to Abase set worth it?..

Last edited:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I have Abasi's factory installed in my 060, and I barely get any noise in the split positions. I have an Abasi Legion coming in at the end of the week, I'd be super curious if there's any difference in the wiring that's causing that.

Weird that so many people are running into that issue.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I have Abasi's factory installed in my 060, and I barely get any noise in the split positions. I have an Abasi Legion coming in at the end of the week, I'd be super curious if there's any difference in the wiring that's causing that.

Weird that so many people are running into that issue.

Didn't know you grabbed a legion. Congrats

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
So guys, is it a common thing for Fishman Abasi to have a lot of noise in a single-coil mode?

I'm thinking of replacing my MFD pickups in G&L S-500 with Abasi set.
I want to do this because I love the power and flexibility/how versatile MFD's are (and what you can get with all possible pickup combinations, including all three together), BUT the amount of noise and feedback is killing me, especially live. I don't use A LOT of gain, but I play via three boosters (RC, EP and BB+ with both channels engaged), plus I prefer a slightly distorted channels over the clean ones, so the noise is over the roof sometimes. And it is not because I use a lot of gain, no - think Ben Eunson sound - it's because of the pickups and boosters.

And reading the last messages in the thread make me question my choice. I will use a single-coil mode A LOT - I'm totally a Strat-sound kind of guy, but I think I need the rest of the Abasi set voices for many things I play, including straight-ahead jazz and a lot of legato lines.

So I'm not really ready to shell out almost $300 and get the same noise, or maybe even worse. because I was so expecting the single-coil sound without any of the issues connected with it :/

Please advise, is transferring to Abase set worth it?..

Lindy Fralin noiseless may suit you better.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
My Abasis are very quiet. I have two different guitars who have em. Even on single coil mode, it is quieter than my Strat pickups. But I dont have my gain way up. And on single coil V3 I just do edge of breakup tones. Of course, you will get some hum when you pile on the gain. It's still a single coil. lol

The Fluence single coil pickups are a bit quieter.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Didn't know you grabbed a legion. Congrats

Yeah man! I initially glossed over them when I saw the Legion reveal, but talked myself into one. Still love the design, and the bolt on neck looks comfortable enough.

Quick Fishman question, might be redundant since I may have already asked this.

But my setup is a 5 way, 1 volume (p/p Voicing), and 1 tone (p/p Splitting). What sets are compatible with this wiring setup without changes? Could I get away with an install of the Devins/Keiths without modifying the wiring at all internally but also getting all of the options those pickups offer?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Yeah man! I initially glossed over them when I saw the Legion reveal, but talked myself into one. Still love the design, and the bolt on neck looks comfortable enough.

Quick Fishman question, might be redundant since I may have already asked this.

But my setup is a 5 way, 1 volume (p/p Voicing), and 1 tone (p/p Splitting). What sets are compatible with this wiring setup without changes? Could I get away with an install of the Devins/Keiths without modifying the wiring at all internally but also getting all of the options those pickups offer?

Keiths and Classics are what I have tried so far that doesn't require modifying the Abasi wiring.