The iOS Amp Modeler App Thread!

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I just realized that I can connect the AUX cable from the iRig 2 into my old Line 6 Spider amp so I can get some volume but I get this insanely high pitched screech if I use too much gain on anything that isn't a clean patch. Is that just a limitation with the iPad itself?

cemges

Reaction score
Well, my Jamup Plug which has been held together with tape for the last months is finally on its last breaths. What interface do you guys recommend that won't break the bank completely?

I really enjoy my iRig HD

Elric

Reaction score
I just realized that I can connect the AUX cable from the iRig 2 into my old Line 6 Spider amp so I can get some volume but I get this insanely high pitched screech if I use too much gain on anything that isn't a clean patch. Is that just a limitation with the iPad itself?

No, it's feedback because you are not using a lightning based audio adapter. Headphone jack adapters have too much cross talk for that kind of setup. I have run my iPad and L6 sonic port into my 300W Rocktron Velocity and cab with retarded amounts of gain and volume with no issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
No, it's feedback because you are not using a lightning based audio adapter. Headphone jack adapters have too much cross talk for that kind of setup. I have run my iPad and L6 sonic port into my 300W Rocktron Velocity and cab with retarded amounts of gain and volume with no issues.
Interesting, I don't know if it's worth investing into a better adapter though, I might as well put that money towards a dedicated guitar modeling unit and use the iRig for portable jamming. :agreed:

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
Interesting, I don't know if it's worth investing into a better adapter though, I might as well put that money towards a dedicated guitar modeling unit and use the iRig for portable jamming. :agreed:

Which dedicated modeling unit costs under 100 bucks? It's worth upgrading to the better adapter. IMHO.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Which dedicated modeling unit costs under 100 bucks? It's worth upgrading to the better adapter. IMHO.
None, but I want to get a dedicated unit anyways. I'm running Jamup on a first gen Ipad Mini which is starting to show its age, I want something that's more straightforward and robust without having to use adapters and stuff like that if/when I start playing live. I also think the whole microtransaction stuff for buying new amps and effects is pretty silly. I want to have more options available to me out of the box.

I'm not a huge fan of the metal/high gain sounds either. I know they're possible to get but I have a hard time dialing them in so I want something that's a bit easier to dial in.

Jamup and Bias is pretty crazy tech when you consider that it's just a little app, but it just makes things easier for me if I have a dedicated unit. It's still great for portable jamming with headphones.

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
None, but I want to get a dedicated unit anyways. I'm running Jamup on a first gen Ipad Mini which is starting to show its age, I want something that's more straightforward and robust without having to use adapters and stuff like that if/when I start playing live. I also think the whole microtransaction stuff for buying new amps and effects is pretty silly. I want to have more options available to me out of the box.

I'm not a huge fan of the metal/high gain sounds either. I know they're possible to get but I have a hard time dialing them in so I want something that's a bit easier to dial in.

Jamup and Bias is pretty crazy tech when you consider that it's just a little app, but it just makes things easier for me if I have a dedicated unit. It's still great for portable jamming with headphones.

Ahh, yea getting a better iDevice would help with the sound, since they have better processors, but that isn't quiet worth the price.

I think the in-app-purchase thing is a double edged sword. On one hand, I don't mind paying a quality product. It's just like upgrading/purchasing plug-ins for your computer. On the other hand, Positive Grid has a checkered past of screwing people over with not offering parity of some sort between their apps, or explaining that Jam Up is basically dead and to move on to Bias FX.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Ahh, yea getting a better iDevice would help with the sound, since they have better processors, but that isn't quiet worth the price.

I think the in-app-purchase thing is a double edged sword. On one hand, I don't mind paying a quality product. It's just like upgrading/purchasing plug-ins for your computer. On the other hand, Positive Grid has a checkered past of screwing people over with not offering parity of some sort between their apps, or explaining that Jam Up is basically dead and to move on to Bias FX.
Yeah, I basically bought the iPad just for running Jamup on it in the first place since I have an Android phone, I've been thinking about getting a new iPod Touch or something like that but I don't know if that would be worth it either since I still would pretty much only use it for Jamup since I can do everything else I need to do on my phone.

I'd upgrade the interface in a heartbeat if it was available for Android or if I had an iPhone so I don't have to carry a separate piece of tech just for Jamup that I rarely use otherwise but Android is complete junk for running music related apps.:wallbash:

That's another thing I don't really like with Jamup, all the different Bias/Jamup products is starting to get confusing to keep up with, especially now when they released it for desktops too. I can stop thinking about that if I get a Digitech GSP1101 or something like that :lol:

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
Yeah, I basically bought the iPad just for running Jamup on it in the first place since I have an Android phone, I've been thinking about getting a new iPod Touch or something like that but I don't know if that would be worth it either since I still would pretty much only use it for Jamup since I can do everything else I need to do on my phone.

I'd upgrade the interface in a heartbeat if it was available for Android or if I had an iPhone so I don't have to carry a separate piece of tech just for Jamup that I rarely use otherwise but Android is complete junk for running music related apps.:wallbash:

That's another thing I don't really like with Jamup, all the different Bias/Jamup products is starting to get confusing to keep up with, especially now when they released it for desktops too. I can stop thinking about that if I get a Digitech GSP1101 or something like that :lol:

Yea, i'd look into getting a used 16gb ipod, if i were desperate. Have you looked into iRig for Android peripherals? some have separate external processors to help with latency.

Elric

Reaction score
FWIW, I have an iPad Mini and it works great with the Line 6 Sonic Port. Those can be had for $50 used. Latency is a non-issue in Jam Up, POD Mobile, and Amplitube for me. It does not have the horsepower to run Bias FX well for me, though, that seems to want a lot more CPU. My Air does a great job with it, but the app is not very responsive on the mini and some amp match models and dual rig setups are pretty unusable... On the Air you can run a convolution app with Audiobus and get real cab IRs with your modeling app, too. :)

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
How does Amplitube compare to Jamup? Is it worth spending 20 bucks on?

Elric

Reaction score
How does Amplitube compare to Jamup? Is it worth spending 20 bucks on?
It is to me... $20 is basically free; your budget and opinion may differ, though. I particularly like the Orange models on AT.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
A bit of a necrobump but I'm going to be getting an iPad again, I bought the Digitech GSP1101 and I love it but it's nice to have something you can just hook up your guitar and headphones to and play anywhere. What modeler apps are the best nowadays?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
A bit of a necrobump but I'm going to be getting an iPad again, I bought the Digitech GSP1101 and I love it but it's nice to have something you can just hook up your guitar and headphones to and play anywhere. What modeler apps are the best nowadays?
I preferred ToneStack and AmpliTube when I still used my iPad for amp modelling. The Bias stuff is kinda meh at this point.

Elric

Reaction score
Bias has been my goto the last couple of months followed by Amplitube (the Mesa pack is IK's masterwork, IMHO). Tonestack is okay... I have never fully bonded with it. I find the interface on it just wretched... Bias is incredible if you have the desktop app and match your own gear. If you have a powerful enough tablet (like an Air 2 for example) to really run the FX app with authority it is amazeballs going back and forth. I do all my Bias presets on the Mac and can port them over to the iPad using profiled amps.

Ola's blind modeler taste test video a little while back really inspired me to go back and re-evaluate Bias. The Bias head just killed it in that vid and it made me rethink my dismissal of the Bias suite in the past. PG has continued to update it and it had improved quite a bit over my previous evaluations. Still has a a lot of cons but in terms of Computer to iPad; it is no contest for me.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The Bias FX app could be great, but isn't. Something as simple as importing created amps and pedals should be simple, but instead requires going back and forth for every single amp or pedal. I've made suggestions to them numerous times and they've never bothered to make that more user friendly. In general, I thought Positive Grid lost the plot once they moved past Bias and JamUp to do the hardware, the additional apps, etc.

Elric

Reaction score
I agree that the work flow is very weak and it seems setup mostly to make them money. Cab IR support is terrible, switching apps is a PITA. Etc.

So yeah... agree with a lot of the negative... I have plenty of issues... but, truth is, as a tablet platform I have been pleased with the return on my efforts when doing all the work on the Mac and porting the presets into FX and just using it on the pad. I can't believe the sounds I am getting from a tablet. That's why it's my current fave. Staying in FX to adjust things on the pad is pretty good once all the deep editing is done.

It is frustrating because it could be the ultimate suite if they just focused on the product and user experience rather than the business model.

Last edited:

marcwormjim

Reaction score
+1. Tablet-based Bias rig (including blueboard) fits in gig bag, but isn't intended or expected to replace dedicated multiFX floorboards.