The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

frayed_sanity

Reaction score
Hi threre. First post on here. Love that there's a thread for this amp on here. The laney forum is so dead and there's not many ppl with an Ironheart amp on there...or they just don't reply lol...

I've had my IRT-60watt head for nearly two years. At the moment I am using my Korg AX3000G multifx pedal with it using the 4CM. Works well.

I turned off the speaker sims today on the pedal and had to turn the tone knob down to -2, instead of +5. The cab sims make it sound so dull and thumpy, but with them off, it sounds pretty much exactly like the IRT dirt channels.

I am still trying to dial a good tone in using the 2 dirt channels only, but I am getting there. At the moment I got all JJs in there except for V4, which is a Groove Tubes ECC81 to tame the fizz a bit before going to the power amp.

I would like to replace V1 and V2 with hotter tubes, and one day I will. I got tungsols at the moment spare so I'll put them in V1 and V2 and see how much gain I get back. The JJs are a bit too dark. I need to spend more time dialing the amp in though.

Also I have a Boss GE-7 I run in the loop and it helps get rid off fizz quite well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petef2007

Reaction score
Think i'm going to be pulling the trigger on an IRT studio at the end of february, so heres hoping I join the club soon. I'll be grabbing a Harley Benton G212 with V30s to go with it, and eventually making it midi switchable to control switching and FX with a pod hd500x.

All i'd ask is, as I currently play at home and i'm not in a band - although that may change - is there any real advantage to getting the IRT60 over the IRT studio?

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Think i'm going to be pulling the trigger on an IRT studio at the end of february, so heres hoping I join the club soon. I'll be grabbing a Harley Benton G212 with V30s to go with it, and eventually making it midi switchable to control switching and FX with a pod hd500x.

All i'd ask is, as I currently play at home and i'm not in a band - although that may change - is there any real advantage to getting the IRT60 over the IRT studio?

I have the 60, but havent played the studio. I love the variable wattage control on the 60, it lets me find the perfect amount of power tube saturation, and the 6l6 tubes sound big and punchy.

The studio has reamping, speaker simulated out, dummy load and usb, but does not have variable wattage, 6L6 tubes, and won't be as good for live use with a drummer.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score

tubes: the IRT60 head has 6l6 tubes compared to el84 on the Studio version, and 4 vs 3 preamp tubes. and also obviously being 60w compared to 15w, the amps should have different flavors.

features: the channels are the same across both amps. the 60H has a wattage knob while the Studio only has a 15w and a 1w input options. the Studio has a dummy load and has the USB DI out for direct recording.

practicality: well, the Studio is very portable. feels like a slightly large laptop computer.

--

who here has been experimenting with the IRT cabs? i have the Studio myself with the matching 2x12 cab, and feel like i could have a slightly less mushy low end, would speaker upgrades help me with this?

Clinic

Reaction score
who here has been experimenting with the IRT cabs? i have the Studio myself with the matching 2x12 cab, and feel like i could have a slightly less mushy low end, would speaker upgrades help me with this?

With an IRT studio due this week, this is relevant to my interests. I'm more interested in a 1 x 12 though. Is the Blackstar 112 any good?

fappenmeister

Reaction score
Just got around to getting an IRT Studio, now to wait until it arrives.

Anyone got any of their own samples to share that you may not have post recently?

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Just got around to getting an IRT Studio, now to wait until it arrives.

Anyone got any of their own samples to share that you may not have post recently?

I'm working on a song to highlight what the clean channel can do (of all things).

I love this amp. I wish the lead channel had the same tone stack as the rythym channel however. The lead channel is a bit too fat and smooth, probably would be better matched with a different cab.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
With an IRT studio due this week, this is relevant to my interests. I'm more interested in a 1 x 12 though. Is the Blackstar 112 any good?

I have the matching 1x12 and it roars. Didn't like the 2x12 IRT, I have to say. That was what I wanted initially, but moved to the 1x12 as it is really the perfect cab for the little IRT Studio.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Egnater Rebel 112X, Randall Diavlo 1x12, and the Mesa Thiele. All 3 are ported, so they'll have a bit of a bigger sound.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Picked up the Ironheart 2x12 to go with my IRT Studio.

Received the seal of approval from my son haha.

10954263_393754170805938_1356029260_n.jpg

The IRT Studio is great for gigging. I've done a few shows with it now and it cranks. Don't really need it past 7 and it keeps up with my other guitarists 5150 on stage no prob.

Tiny amp, tiny cabinet, tiny pedals. Love my setup haha. Replaced an Axe FX 2 with no regrets.

mrdm53

Reaction score
i'm going to join the Laney IRT club soon, got a great deal of 2nd hand of IRT Studio worth of $345, and will arrive at next saturday :D

pics and sample sound later

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Will take a photo of the front panel tonight, I can't remember off hand. Used some EZ Mix inserts as well for the guitars and overall master, will share them too.

Didn't have terribly high hopes of the DI, was assuming I'd have to use IRs but I'm happy to use this as a starting point and continue tweaking. Very convenient.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
....... I love my H&K's red box DI out, sounds fantastic. But you definitely make the Laney's DI sound amazing. Ah I should just sell my Laney IRT60 and get the studio lol.

mrdm53

Reaction score
just a quick question for IRT Studio users

is it safe to turn off your amp immediately after you used it? or do i have to wait a few min to at least cools down the tube a bit before turn it off?

IRT Studio doesn't have standby switch, even though it's full tube amp

Jaimie

Pinkie Anchorer
Reaction score
just a quick question for IRT Studio users

is it safe to turn off your amp immediately after you used it? or do i have to wait a few min to at least cools down the tube a bit before turn it off?

IRT Studio doesn't have standby switch, even though it's full tube amp

Never had any issues. Should be fine! :hbang: