The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!!

Curiously enough about the last poster's setup... new IRT-fanboy here!

eb4k5t.jpg

I try to answer to your question, charlessalvation: the Harley Benton's is an awesome sounding cab... I got the v30 version and it's great. I've used and tested it many times in different circumstances and most of the time it managed to perform a lot better than other expensive cabs.

A little "review": about construction... It's not that "portable", the handles are great, but it's still hard to pull it on your own (but probably it's me and my back issues lol :) ). On the other hand, it's well built.
It sounds a little bit harsh with certain settings; I feel like a more "loose" setting on the bass frequencies (talin' about the cab + IRT) and I'd avoid the "pull" on the Trebles to let it shine. :)

Feel free to ask more.
AE

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petef2007

Reaction score
How do you like the Harley benton cab? Is that the one with V30s?

Thanks

Thats the one with the V30s yep, wonderful mid crunch on them. I'm still trying to dial in a tone i'm happy with, and i'm convinced that the amp NEEDS both a boost and a noisegate to get the sound i'm looking for, but its very dry, tight, articulate and powerful sounding. Just buzzes like an angry bee when the boost is engaged though.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Thats the one with the V30s yep, wonderful mid crunch on them. I'm still trying to dial in a tone i'm happy with, and i'm convinced that the amp NEEDS both a boost and a noisegate to get the sound i'm looking for, but its very dry, tight, articulate and powerful sounding. Just buzzes like an angry bee when the boost is engaged though.

I have the amp's built in boost on pretty much all the time. I kinda sorta replace the gain knob with more OD. Its just what I've come to like.

But yeah, definitely a noisegate in front though.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
do you guys have issues with noise with your IRT Studios? Even with a noise gate via the Pod HD500 (4CM) it is too noisey. For instance if I ring out a chord, you hear background hiss a lot. I'll have to try it without the Pod HD and see if it still does it.

charlessalvacion

Reaction score

Hi everyone!!!!

Curiously enough about the last poster's setup... new IRT-fanboy here!

I try to answer to your question, charlessalvation: the Harley Benton's is an awesome sounding cab... I got the v30 version and it's great. I've used and tested it many times in different circumstances and most of the time it managed to perform a lot better than other expensive cabs.

A little "review": about construction... It's not that "portable", the handles are great, but it's still hard to pull it on your own (but probably it's me and my back issues lol :) ). On the other hand, it's well built.
It sounds a little bit harsh with certain settings; I feel like a more "loose" setting on the bass frequencies (talin' about the cab + IRT) and I'd avoid the "pull" on the Trebles to let it shine. :)

Feel free to ask more.
AE

I dont have cab right now, just thinking if I need one. Maybe the Harley Bentons will be fine for me. Im just using the IRT60H with a KOCH DUmmybox, going to my DAW with some IRs. sounds great, especially when playing at night. Thanks to both of you!

Petef2007

Reaction score
I have the amp's built in boost on pretty much all the time. I kinda sorta replace the gain knob with more OD. Its just what I've come to like.

But yeah, definitely a noisegate in front though.

That's pretty much how i'll be doing it - back the gain off on the crunch channel, dial in mids for days, and control the boost externally with a maxon. Sweet, sweet crunchy saturation. I'm not sure i'll use the lead channel that much, since the crunch is making me feel things in all the happy places right now.

I'm also finding that i'm getting better tones from running the wattage higher and just using the channel volumes to taste, rather than trying to screw down the wattage for quieter playing.

I haven't had a tube amp in a number of years, probably since around 2010 when I had a VHT Sig X, so i'm still getting back into the swing of things re: dialing in tones and getting a balanced EQ.

My JEM sounds bloody wonderful through it though :hbang:

ke7mix

Reaction score
How many fuses are in the 60W head? I know that there is the one that you can access from the back panel, what about internal?

gay4ass

Reaction score
running my irt30 combo with tung sols pre and power amp tubes along with an eminence governor speaker in a diy 1x12

just fuxking sexy tone for my metal....

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
I have the 60w version, so far I've been very happy with it.

I've been playing through the same HB cab with the V30 speakers, as posted above (what a coincidence really) couple of times. Sounds alright. But I played a concert with my previous band and borrowed a 4x12 Blackstar S1 cab and damn! that sounded great.

The only thing you need, to get a great metal tone out of it, is a good OD pedal. Ironheart on it's own sounds a bit too "british" imho. Maxon or Ibanez tubescreamer would be my recommendation.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Any IRT Studio user here? mind if you share your EQ setting? i want to look for Galneryus/Dragonforce-like tone, with little tightness of 7 string, but my current settings lack of clarity

for reference :D ps: using Cab sim only, since i cannot afford to have bigger cab at the moment (lousy neighbour) and using only Randall RG8 as cab

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a IRT Studio yesterday so I thought i'd jump on this thread. Also I was a little suprised that there wasn't a FB group so I started one lol No1 has joined yet as I just created it but if any of you swell fella's wanna join, by all means it is there for your IRT FB needs lol it's called Laney IRT users. Can't wait to get my studio.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
anyone having issues with the inputs gain on the IRT studio? It seems when I push the input too much with a pedal or whatever, the sound gets all weird and craps out. Also get a lot of noise.

ryanougrad

Reaction score
Considering getting the IRT Studio. Scanned a few posts. What's the noise floor like on this thing. Some people have posted and ISP is a must? I will be using this strictly via the USB or XLR out. Also, what provides better signal quality USB direct to computer or XLR out to interface to computer? I have a MacBook Pro about 2 years old.

Also,

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Sorry to disturb...

Here's the thing: I want to replace the stock Rubys 6L6GC with JJ 6L6GC... Can I swap them without biasing and hope not to destroy the amp? :)

Thanks!
AE

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
having a hard time getting the reamp to work. plugged guitar cable into reamp jack, put on correct input but just get a high pitched feedback. what am I missing? thanks :)