The Official After the Burial Thread: All things ATB!

MintBerryCrunch

Melody>Metal
Reaction score
I reallllly wish they would have done more with that 1st verse riff (0:25 - 1:05) in "promises kept" but they go into the chorus riff and never go back to it. :(

shame cause its a very nice mood setting melodic riff

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Maybe I was a bit blunt with my last comment, and for that I apologize. It certainly wasn't anything personal cause I looooooove you guise ;) I just felt the negativity about it was a little unjustified. Rareform is one of my favorite albums ever, so that will be incredibly hard to top. I like the proggy, opened up feel this record has.

On a slightly related note, wasn't the pre order system developed to guarantee a copy of the product in your hands the day of its release? You will die for this insult, merch connection.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
Maybe I was a bit blunt with my last comment, and for that I apologize. It certainly wasn't anything personal cause I looooooove you guise ;) I just felt the negativity about it was a little unjustified. Rareform is one of my favorite albums ever, so that will be incredibly hard to top. I like the proggy, opened up feel this record has.

On a slightly related note, wasn't the pre order system developed to guarantee a copy of the product in your hands the day of its release? You will die for this insult, merch connection.

I know. My Volumes EP was supposed to come in a couple of days ago.

MintBerryCrunch

Melody>Metal
Reaction score

they did the same thing to me with veil of maya's common man's collapse some years ago. boy was i pissed.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
So how long is this album? I'm really tired of stupidly short "Sumerian-core" album. From the general tone of the reviews here I have a feeling I'm not gonna like it that much :(

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I liked it. Reminded me a lot of an ATB and Unearth offspring. The mix didn't sound all "OMG! COMPRESSED!" like the first version of Rareform did, the playing was solid, the grooves were the same as the last album and the vocals were more dynamic.

That said, I wouldn't just go off of what people say in here. If you thought the last album was "god's gift to metal" and immaculate, then you might not necessarily like this because it's in the same vein but it's a different venture. If you liked the core (no pun intended) of the last album, the bulk of it returns in this one and you'll probably at least appreciate it.

MintBerryCrunch

Melody>Metal
Reaction score
I liked it. Reminded me a lot of an ATB and Unearth offspring. The mix didn't sound all "OMG! COMPRESSED!" like the first version of Rareform did, the playing was solid, the grooves were the same as the last album and the vocals were more dynamic.

That said, I wouldn't just go off of what people say in here. If you thought the last album was "god's gift to metal" and immaculate, then you might not necessarily like this because it's in the same vein but it's a different venture. If you liked the core (no pun intended) of the last album, the bulk of it returns in this one and you'll probably at least appreciate it.

agreed. i dont think anyone is gonna listen to this and think it's a horrible album or just regret listening to it. cause it's pretty legit. i have some fav tracks to listen to for sure. but it's not the OMG best album of the year by any means

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
After listening through it fully a few times, I think I can definitely say I like Rareform a bit more. That's not a bad thing, though; I still think this album's great. I love the grooves on this one, and the vocals just kill any other ATB album, IMHO.

KrewZ

Nurarihyon
Reaction score
Im on Pendulum now and Im enjoying the song as well as the album so far. No it doesent have the same feeling as Rareform but that doesent mean its bad. When it comes to bands for me I try to appreciate the albums for what they are instead of comparing them to the other albums, it only hinders my ability to enjoy other albums when all i do is compare.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
I gave the album a listen today, and having never listened to Rareform or any other ATB release, I still wasn't that impressed. If I want crazy 8 string rhythms, I listen to Meshuggah, and for melodic leads, AAL or some other non-metal artists. If I want cool breakdowns I listen to VOM. I know some of you might think thats a bad way of rating an artist, but I like to keep the bands I listen to (especially metal) to a minimum, so I judge pretty harshly.

Also, I didn't like to tones, even though I haven't listened on any great headphones or monitors yet. I don't like to way the drums were eq'd, the ezdrummer comparison is spot on, and the guitars just sound digital to be honest (although super nice digital :lol:). Hopefully I can listen to it on some good speakers soon. :2c:

Also, by the looks of things, I need to pick up Rareform!

Soulwomb

Reaction score
I think my problem with this cd is that it just doesn't feel like an ATB cd. I'll say some of the songs have grown on me after repeated listens but a lot of the songs on here just don't feel like After the Burial to me. I understand they want to experiment and I'm not against bands experimenting around with there sound, but it just feels like they forgot to put in there trademarks in these songs. My Frailty, YTWCaFWSUY, and Bread Crumbs and White Stones are the only songs I feel like they actually did a pretty good job at with taking there sound and expanding on. But everything else is just really hit or miss. So that's just my honest opinion on the cd they all can't be winners.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That would be because you have a fine grasp of how the rules work. Perhaps others will soon learn the tempo. ;)

Sooo, how about that new After the Burial album?

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
EDIT: grabbed the whole album. "album only" just means you can't buy those tracks on their own.

i partially take back my criticisms of the vocals, but i still don't like the whole "screaming through a telephone receiver" effect that's overused these days.

guitars sound better than i expected. STIIILLLLLL notasgoodasrareformblahblah but still nice. some of the solos seem kind of lonely, like there wasn't anything they could come up with to layer. either way i'm impressed and i consider this album a good "expansion pack" to rareform. just wish there was more riffing like on the last song on rareform. (vicious reforming?)

vhmetalx

\m/
Reaction score
I :facepalm: hard.

I've listened to this 14 times so far (go ahead and make fun of me, I may be obsessed but I love this band. a lot.) I love it. It's still growing on me, and its amazing. my only one gripe with this album is the sweeps at the end of your troubles NEED to be louder. I can hear em fine in my headphones but my surround sound barely puts em out. you have to dig through the layers to hear em. and i love that part of the song.
thats the only thing i find meh about this album so far.