The Official Agile ERG Thread

sadicus

Reaction score
Godin Multiac ACS SA
25 1/2" Scale

This is the closet i have to a wide neck guitar (this feels more like my classical guitars)

...so I already have a bit of trouble with this scale. I'm thinking anything larger will feel more like Chording a bass.

What about the string hight acion?
none of my guitars (Ibanez 6 RG series) have "LesPaul" action, so i'm use to a whole step bend at best.

What about the 4x 4 or 8 in a row, tuners ? does it effect the balance, or ease uf use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Wow! I'm impressed that your .080 can flop like crazy with a tension of more than 18.5 pounds. I'd suspect the set-up and not the string tension....

It was more the buzzing giving me a headache ... I suspect it had uneven frets and I don't think it's worth the money to bother fixing. I'm not impressed by Schecter 8 strings at all ... the scale length is far too short.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
So guys, I was thinking of picking up an Agile 8 because of the extra scale length on those babies ... do you think I could achieve somewhat low action and no fret buzz with the bigger scale? Cause right now on my Schecter Hellraiser C-8 26.5 I can't ...

The difference between the 2 is literally only fret dots, scale length and $100 ... I've had problems with other 8s F# being far too floppy (26.5" scale), so I assume 28.625" is the way to go to fix that?

You kept talking about the problem being the scale length, so I noted...

Wow! I'm impressed that your .080 can flop like crazy with a tension of more than 18.5 pounds. I'd suspect the set-up and not the string tension....

I thought you agreed... but then you went right back...

It was more the buzzing giving me a headache ... I suspect it had uneven frets and I don't think it's worth the money to bother fixing. I'm not impressed by Schecter 8 strings at all ... the scale length is far too short.

What's up with that? :scratch:

I own three 25.5" 8-strings, all currently tuned EADGCFAD, and don't have the problems you're talking about. Two of them were tuned down to Bb0 for a few years, again with no problem.

I'm just suggesting thinking through where you think the problem lies, and about your own preferences. It's okay to like longer or shorter scale lengths, but to blame something on scale length (or on any other characteristic) instead of identifying the real source of your problem means you'll always be trying to fix the wrong thing.:2c:

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Perhaps I was trying to fix the wrong thing, but I cannot imagine a 25.5" 8 string with a 0.80 having anywhere near the right tension for a F# ... I'd really love to see it for myself.

The Schecters 26.5" scale couldn't handle the action I wanted across the board without buzzing like crazy, 4 different local guitar techs even said this themselves.

I don't understand the point in making an 8 string with a scale less than 27" but it's being done out there so I guess it's all down to personal preference.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I don't understand the point in making an 8 string with a scale less than 27" but it's being done out there so I guess it's all down to personal preference.

This makes no more or less sense than saying that one doesn't understand the point of making an 8 string with a scale more than 27". It IS personal taste and figuring out what works best for you. Trust Explorer, when it comes to figuring out how various scales can work with various setups, he's always struck me as the man to talk to on this board.

space frog

Reaction score
This makes no more or less sense than saying that one doesn't understand the point of making an 8 string with a scale more than 27". It IS personal taste and figuring out what works best for you. Trust Explorer, when it comes to figuring out how various scales can work with various setups, he's always struck me as the man to talk to on this board.

It's also a matter of tuning sometimes. If you want a 8 string guitar with a high A instead of a low F#, then less than 27" might be a better fit.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
It's also a matter of tuning sometimes. If you want a 8 string guitar with a high A instead of a low F#, then less than 27" might be a better fit.

Yes. But, no matter what, there WILL be a balance between scale, tuning, tension, gauge, and action.

RomaIV

Dark Riva
Reaction score
8 strings are great... Agile do good ones i hear, as do Ibanez... i personally have an RGA8 with the Ibanez EMG pickups... it's a great instrument. It's not too different to a 7 string, so investing in one is definitely not that risky. I've been looking at Agiles' more extended range guitars and found the Interceptor Pro 928 EB... Definitely getting one!! :D

sadicus

Reaction score
NONE of the guitar shops within 100 miles have an 8 string in stock, or fanned frets. I really would like to play the different scale lengths,
so i appeal to those of you who have played on these guitars

1) Headstock tuners better to have 8 per side or 4 per side?
2) is it just for looks, or does it effect sustain?

3) any advantage to playing on fanned frets for two hand tapping?

Awake77

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been considering an 8 string for quite some time now, and when i saw this on rondo's site:

Agile Septor Elite 827 EB DNC Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

I'm thinking it may be time. A few questions:

-is 27" scale enough to keep that low F# nice and defined? I'm coming from an Ibanez RG1077XL, which is also 27". I'm really used to the longer scale, and wouldn't mind going to a 28" if it meant better tone.

-I've never owned a set neck guitar. I've read that bolt on necks have a more defined tone in the lower registers - is this bs? Anyone have any problems with set neck Agiles? How's the access to the upper frets?

-I was planning on getting a fixed bridge, but I see some of the other 8's with Khaler trems. What's the deal with these? Is this a full trem like Floyd? Is it just as big of a pain in the ass? I am always changing my tuning and have a Tremel-No on my Ibby. Can that Khaler 8 be locked to a fixed bridge? A trem on an 8 string sounds like a bad idea, but I'm curious.

-Finally, the neck's feel. For those of you Ibanez 7 guys who went with Agile for an 8, how was the transition? I love the neck on my 7, but also like playing my Dean which feels like a chunk of firewood in comparison.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-A77

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
-is 27" scale enough to keep that low F# nice and defined? I'm coming from an Ibanez RG1077XL, which is also 27". I'm really used to the longer scale, and wouldn't mind going to a 28" if it meant better tone.

I own a Septor Elite 827, and I really like the 27" scale. The tension is great, but I'd recommend increasing the stock gauges. I use an .080 for my F#/E and a .062 for my B. If your already use to a 27" scale, and if you don't like thick strings, going to the 28.825" scale would be a good choice IMO. But chords might to start get quite annoying...

-I've never owned a set neck guitar. I've read that bolt on necks have a more defined tone in the lower registers - is this bs? Anyone have any problems with set neck Agiles? How's the access to the upper frets?

Its a 5 piece neck thru design, not a set neck :p but I call BS on the lower registers bit, my guitar is super clear and defined on every string, even distorted. (Your going to love those blackouts btw, I hate actives and I love these) The ebony strips really improve the sustain, and the weight of the guitar is very evenly distributed. Its a slim D profile btw, which you'll love coming from an Ibby. :)

-I was planning on getting a fixed bridge, but I see some of the other 8's with Khaler trems. What's the deal with these? Is this a full trem like Floyd? Is it just as big of a pain in the ass? I am always changing my tuning and have a Tremel-No on my Ibby. Can that Khaler 8 be locked to a fixed bridge? A trem on an 8 string sounds like a bad idea, but I'm curious.

This is a matter of personal opinion and someone else please chim in with theirs but... I feel that unless your going to use the trem alot I wouldn't go for it. As someone who has 2 guitars with floyds and 2 with a standard trem, the tone out and sustain out of fixed bridges is much fuller sounding. Tuning is a hell of alot more stable, especially if your using multiple tuning all the time, if you dont use a trem. Even if it is stable its still a pain in the ass to change.

On that note, the kahler trems are top notch. I think the hybrid in the name means it can be locked but don't quote me on that.

-Finally, the neck's feel. For those of you Ibanez 7 guys who went with Agile for an 8, how was the transition? I love the neck on my 7, but also like playing my Dean which feels like a chunk of firewood in comparison.

I absolutly love the neck on this guitar. I don't own an Ibanez 7, but my friend owns a Ibby Prestige 6 which I jam with all the time. The Agile neck is extremely slender for an 8, I went from a 6 string to an 8 and the transfer wasn't difficult at all, if that says anything haha. Its not as thin as a wizard neck, but I think you wont have a problem playing it at all. It has a very heavy gloss feel, which took getting use to but I think its a really fast playing neck and is extremely comfortable.

That's just my 2 cents though:2c:

Let me know what you decide. Buying my agile 8 was the best purchase I've made in my 8 years of playing guitar. Great price, even greater guitar.

Subz

Reaction score
I have a 827 in the same model as the one posted and it is a amazing guitar. I also use a .80 on the low F# but i tune it down to E and im happy with the tension. The metal tones are awesome and when i play a clean tone with my fingers it is equally impressive. I highly recommend this guitar.

geofreesun

Reaction score
that's definitely a well-made guitar. one thing i would like to point out is, having a neck-thru means that the dominant wood will be maple for this guitar and it affects the tone accordingly. personally i prefer a bolt-on just because it's easier to adjust the neck and break angles.

Perplexed-Perception

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been considering an 8 string for quite some time now, and when i saw this on rondo's site:

Agile Septor Elite 827 EB DNC Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

I'm thinking it may be time. A few questions:

Thanks in advance for the help!

-A77

i have a 28 intrepid and found that the longer the scale the harder it is to djent:lol: im thinking lighter strings will be in order but if it is not what your going to use it for then you don't need to worry about it:yesway:

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I agree with CRG entirely. I think you'd be safer going 828. It gives you a bit more variety on what strings you can use. Mine is tuned down to F on a 70 but I'm going back 80s as I like heavy strings with lots of tension.

As stated: best decision of my guitar playing life. Great guitars, great prices.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
NONE of the guitar shops within 100 miles have an 8 string in stock, or fanned frets. I really would like to play the different scale lengths,
so i appeal to those of you who have played on these guitars

1) Headstock tuners better to have 8 per side or 4 per side?
2) is it just for looks, or does it effect sustain?

3) any advantage to playing on fanned frets for two hand tapping?

I can pretty much see it being a disadvantage in every way for all the techniques you know on a regular scale guitar ... I can imagine sweep picking patterns being the most fucked up.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
I actually had a question about one of these. I realize that what's on the site, isn't exactly a direct representation of all of his guitars, just what's in stock. But I'm looking for something specific and was just wondering if anyone knows if it's even an option from him.

I'm interested in this guitar, Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 830 MN NA at RondoMusic.com, but in a 28" scale. I've been checking every now and then to see if it comes up, but nothing yet.

Poparad

Street Theorist
Reaction score
I actually had a question about one of these. I realize that what's on the site, isn't exactly a direct representation of all of his guitars, just what's in stock. But I'm looking for something specific and was just wondering if anyone knows if it's even an option from him.

I'm interested in this guitar, Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 830 MN NA at RondoMusic.com, but in a 28" scale. I've been checking every now and then to see if it comes up, but nothing yet.

You might be best off placing a custom order. I have a 9 string coming in a few days that's dual passive with 28" scale like you're looking at.

AnarchyDivine88

Reaction score
The 27" scale would be no problem as long as you get different strings, as crg123 already pointed out. It would be comfortable to you to since you already have a 27". But if you like a more tight sound and feel or you plan on doing some really low tunings than 28" would be the way to go. However, if you do a lot of wide stretching chords on the lower end of the neck than the 28 might be a little difficult for that.

bolt on or neck thru either way you'll have a well defined low end. It's just that with bolt on you'll have a nice sort of percussive bite that sounds good for those low strings, where as neck thru has a smoother tone and increased sustain. geofreesun made a good point though. If you prefer the tone of mahogany than go with the bolt on, but if you like maple than go with the neck thru, because most of the tone will come from the maple/ebony. I have an Agile Septor 827 and the upper fret access isn't bad, but it's not by any means an AANJ. The joint of the body is carved well but the actual neck joint isn't sculpted like an Ibanez neck. However the neck thru guitars Agile makes have excellent access to the upper frets and for that reason I would suggest the neck thru.

The Kahler 72228K Hybrid that Agile uses is a locking/floating bridge so you can lock at as a fixed bridge which gives you more options. If you use your tremolo a lot than I would recommend the Kahler.

I don't think you'll have a problem transitioning from an Ibanez 7 to an Agile 8 neck. I went from a Prestige 6 with a Wizard neck to an Agile 8 and obviously it's not as thin, but it's about as thin a neck as you're going to get for an 8 string and its a very comfortable D contour much like your Ibanez.

Well that's my take on it anyway! Good luck with your new axe if you get it! :shred: