The Official Agile ERG Thread

AmishRefugee

Reaction score
I see, thanks for the info

I guess I'll end up with the 30 then. And as for tuning, I don't think I'll do much other than standard or drop E for Tosin goodness (like I'm anywhere near good enough to play AAL songs :rolleyes:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
So guys, I was thinking of picking up an Agile 8 because of the extra scale length on those babies ... do you think I could achieve somewhat low action and no fret buzz with the bigger scale? Cause right now on my Schecter Hellraiser C-8 26.5 I can't ...

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
So, I pulled the trigger on my first 8-string on Tuesday. It's an Agile semi-custom (lefty, had to if I wanted a nice one) Septor Elite 828 with Blackouts, a maple fretboard, a flametop and the oceanburst finish. My first seven was an Agile too, so I'm not worried about the quality, I love my Agile, but should I worry about making the jump from an Interceptor 725 to a Septor 828? Or should the three inches and extra string not be too big of an issue?

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Just noticed that there's 2 different Interceptor Pros ... one with a 27" scale and one with a 28.625" scale ...

So which one do I get?

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
27" should be fine, but if you plan on going lower, I'd get the 28.625".

sadicus

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am doing research on 8 string guitars (this will be my first purchase)
any users that can answer a few questions.

Agile
1) besides price, What is the difference in the Pro models vs the others?
2) What are the advantages of EMG (or any actives recommended)

3) Anyone using a HEX pickup with an 8 string? (Ghost hexpander or Roland Gk3) ~ yes, i realize MIDI controllers only go to 6
4) Opinions / experience with Neck thru vs bolt on

thanks for any help with this!

RockerAlex

Reaction score
You can use lower gauge strings to achieve low tunings. I hear the high end on 28-30" scales sounds more bell or piano-like, if you're into that.

The difference between the 2 is literally only fret dots, scale length and $100 ... I've had problems with other 8s F# being far too floppy (26.5" scale), so I assume 28.625" is the way to go to fix that?

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Greetings,
I am doing research on 8 string guitars (this will be my first purchase)
any users that can answer a few questions.

Agile
1) besides price, What is the difference in the Pro models vs the others?
2) What are the advantages of EMG (or any actives recommended)

3) Anyone using a HEX pickup with an 8 string? (Ghost hexpander or Roland Gk3) ~ yes, i realize MIDI controllers only go to 6
4) Opinions / experience with Neck thru vs bolt on

thanks for any help with this!

I own an Agile seven-string, and have an eight on preorder, and use EMGs in all my guitars (got Blackouts with the eight though), so I can help you on all with question three.

1) Pro models are neck-thru, and come with active pickups (usually EMG-808s, or Duncan Blackouts).
2) Active pickups give a lot more clarity (which is an advantage to a very clean player, but it's a double-edged blade if you're sloppy, you'll hear all your mistakes, but you'll strive harder to improve them), a very even response across all the strings (good when you've got more than six), and I personally just really like the tone.
4) Agile's neck-thrus have a pretty big heel, and a lot of people say that you might as well just get a bolt-on, but I love the neck on my Interceptor Pro. Looks better than set or bold-on, and I think it's super comfortable.

Overall, I would recommend the pro models. My seven-string is a Pro, and my eight-string is an Elite (same thing, but with a Hipshot fixed bridge).

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
The difference between the 2 is literally only fret dots, scale length and $100 ... I've had problems with other 8s F# being far too floppy (26.5" scale), so I assume 28.625" is the way to go to fix that?
I don't have my 8-string yet, but it all depends on what gauge string you'd use. May I see links to the two, just out of curiosity?

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I don't have my 8-string yet, but it all depends on what gauge string you'd use. May I see links to the two, just out of curiosity?

Agile Interceptor Pro 828 EB Black Flame DOT at RondoMusic.com

Agile Interceptor Pro 827 RN Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

I'd probably stick with the La Bella crazy 8s set ... but I don't want any flop at all, that's why I'm taking my Schecter Hellraiser C-8 back, because even up at 0.80 gauge, the F# flops around like crazy and buzzes off everything.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Agile Interceptor Pro 828 EB Black Flame DOT at RondoMusic.com

Agile Interceptor Pro 827 RN Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

I'd probably stick with the La Bella crazy 8s set ... but I don't want any flop at all, that's why I'm taking my Schecter Hellraiser C-8 back, because even up at 0.80 gauge, the F# flops around like crazy and buzzes off everything.
Personally, I'd get the 28.625", because I like to tune down, and I despise rosewood fretboards. Not sure, but I think you'd be fine at 0.72 at F# on 27" though.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Personally, I'd get the 28.625", because I like to tune down, and I despise rosewood fretboards. Not sure, but I think you'd be fine at 0.72 at F# on 27" though.

I'm curious, what is it about the rosewood necks you don't like?

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I'm curious, what is it about the rosewood necks you don't like?
The three six-strings I have all have rosewood, and I just don't like the feel of it. It sounds fantastic, but I prefer the smoother, closed-grain feel of maple and ebony.