The Official MMA Thread

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but one of the guys training with my brother at his local MMA/boxing center collapsed during boxing training last wednesday and died at the hospital yesterday. Apparently it was a brain hemorrhage that the doctors had never seen the likes of - NOT caused by the training though, it would have burst at any moment.

It's so tragic, he was only 20 years old :(

That's just tragic man. I hope his family finds comfort

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Apparently they're changing the guidelines for entry to the next season of the Ultimate Fighter, so that the female entrants only need 1 pro fight as opposed to the previous 3. I wish they would have just waited for the female MMA scene to grow further, rather than just undermining the female fighters and making it a laughing stock for a quick cash in. I forsee a shortlived boom and bust in women's UFC.
Shame.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Apparently they're changing the guidelines for entry to the next season of the Ultimate Fighter, so that the female entrants only need 1 pro fight as opposed to the previous 3. I wish they would have just waited for the female MMA scene to grow further, rather than just undermining the female fighters and making it a laughing stock for a quick cash in. I forsee a shortlived boom and bust in women's UFC.
Shame.

Agree, WMMA is way too shallow right now, it needs to develop further

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I have faith in its potential but it's ridiculous for it to be forced to perform at the level of a more established equivalent. Invicta and the like are doing fine to raise it up, they just need time to bolster the abilities of their competitors.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
**sigh** I wish he would stop making excuses. Anyone else would say "Oh well, I lost", or if they won "I beat him in spite of that". 1lb really isn't much difference! They would have allowed the same for him, anyway.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
The outcome of the fight wouldn't have mattered either way, but the weigh-in procedural vagueness reveals the Athletic Commission's incompetence....
Still don't get why they didn't inform Diaz's camp about the 1 pound leniency

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
The way I've interpreted it is that 170.9 is still classed as 170 to them as they don't take into account decimals, just full pounds.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
^ That's what I've always understood as well. Seen a ton of fights where one guy was over by a pound or less. Maybe championship fights are different?
It's not like GSP wouldn't overpower Diaz even if he came in at 160 lol.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
For championship fights it's not meant to allow 1 pound over like with many fights but I interpreted as them classing 170.9 as 170 as they don't heed the decimals.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds right to me.
Bottom line; Diaz is a bitch.

edit; also, how can he gripe on the wrestlers using control when he himself will gladly control an arm or leg for a submission victory?
I like the high action fights more myself too, but for a wrestler to not use his body controling ability to prevent things from getting all BJJ crazy would be foolish.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
For those of you who know him as meathead from TUF season heavyweights;
meathead has truly screwed himself with his mouth, and it'll be a huge hit to his wallet.

Matt Mitrione verbally bashes sex-change recipients. Violates new UFC code of conduct. Gets suspended indefinetly right when he was back in victory lane lol.

Y! SPORTS

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone watch the big show last night?
Kelvin deserved to win IMO.
Effectiveness was a dead-on tie but since Hall is more of a keep the distance and counter-punch guy, and Kelvin is a press forward bull, it just ended up looking like he was the more aggressive one.
Also, the Fabor/Jurgenson fight was a terrific display of grappling 101.

I was impressed with Hall though. He showed some good heart and toughness that I wasn't sure he even had going in. He was physically impressive throughout the season but just hadn't fought a guy as rough and aggressive as Kelvin.

Greegzoid

Reaction score
As much as the Faber-Jorgensen fight was an excellent display, Tate-Zingano was off the fucking chain, they proper went for it

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
As much as the Faber-Jorgensen fight was an excellent display, Tate-Zingano was off the fucking chain, they proper went for it

Indeed they did. The funny thing about the chicks is that they NEVER are able to get along outside the ring :lol:. There's like always bad blood.
With the men it's like only half the time or less that there's bad blood.

I've worked at places where there's almost all women, and where it's basically all men, and even though both scenes can get very juvenile I'd swear that it's worse in the female dominant work environment
And as a man you get treated good by most all the women :lol:.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Is there any update on what actually happened to Jon Jones' toe? The interview while it was being looked at was funny: Jon trying to seem cheerful and concentrate on what he was saying while someone practically tore his foot apart!

In personal news, started Muay Thai lessons 2/3 months ago, which is going pretty well. We started classes in Judo for MMA, as well which is good. The teacher, Iain Feenan, is great: really understands the details of what he's doing and breaks it down perfectly. Takes the time to work on little things you ask about and works the whole class on it, as well. He's fighting in Stirling, Scotland, on June 30th so my lady and I intend to go. Nice excuse to go to an amazing restaurant there, as well.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Gif of Jones' toe breaking below. This is some sick stuff so brace yourselves...........

763357296.gif

His toe seems to be healing up now, he posted this on his twitter a few weeks ago

Jon_Jones_Toe.jpg

And on a slightly unrelated note, some doctors seem to be upset (and righteously so) about the way the injury was handled... UFC 159 results: The medical debate about Jon Jones' toe injury - Bloody Elbow

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Agh, rough! Bizarre way for it to happen!

I saw that article and the direct responses of the physician at the scene. He said something along the lines of 'not life threatening, can be dealt with in a couple of hours time, Jones was happy to do the conference, is grown man and can make his own choices'. While it had popped through and the mat would be pretty gross, it surely wouldn't have had time to let any infection set in. I don't imagine a couple of hours with a toe bone sticking out is likely to lead to any long term harm, especially after a quick fix by the doc.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Incase everyone hasn't heard, Belfort is on the juice for tomorrow night's fight on FX.
Rockhold didn't sound like a big fan of TRT during the press-conference, to put it lightly.
He basically said (with Belfort sitting just on the other side of Dana) that anyone who feels the need to use TRT must have some confidence issues. lol

The funny thing (to me anyways) is that another fighter just lost his fight of the night bonus due to an after-contest THC positive, but Belfort gets to juice just because he's old and naturally diminishing (hormonally speaking).

I'm not against a person having the right to go on TRT, but as far as in the UFC or other professional sports it needs to be officially either all out or all in. (it's already most in I'd say)
They could have the UFC and the UFC Juiced divisions lol.

In other UFC news, did we really think it would take long before more guys followed Matt Mitrione in suspension for mouth running?
Nate Diaz now joins Meathead Matt on the side lines for saying "fag" in a recent interview. I would have actually guessed Nick to be first to screw up in the verbage department.
Now that the conduct clause is much more verbally strict I can see them really using it to help keep the contractual leverage on some of the more "problem" fighters.