The Official MMA Thread

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Agreed on all counts. TRT seems counter to the whole point of the sport, IMO. the point is to prove your superiority over someone taller, rangier, stronger, faster, more flexible and those all have some relation to natural physiology. I see testosterone levels as part of that. They'll naturally vary. Work with what you have. If you can gain it by working or from natural ingestion fair enough but other than that, you may as well give everyone surgery to give them equal length arms and such. Give an old fighter a heart transplant as their cardio is suffering? It's stupid.

I would have expected Nick to slip up first, as well. I think his manager is an idiot for trying to argue that his use of the word is fine. No matter how Nate intended it, it means what it means. You can't just use offensive terms and expect to get away with it because "where I live we use it differently." Foreign athletes don't get away with that despite language difficulties; they have to apologise for what try said as they didn't actually understand the implications of the language, not just make excuses. Hopefully such bans and fines will push the knuckleheads out and enforce honorablr competition over people who just wanna scrap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Not a fan of TRT. When your power begins to decline in your later years, your experience should take it's place. When you have 16 years experience of fighting in the cage AND you're getting juiced to have the body comparable to the guy that you're fighting, who has less experience than you and almost 10 years younger than you, you're getting an unfair advantage.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I guess Anderson Silva needs some TRT, because he just got his ass beat.

Chris Weidman is the new middle-weight champ of the UFC, and I just ended my streak of being wrong on these main event fights (like the last half-dozen or so lol).

Cnev

Reaction score
I guess Anderson Silva needs some TRT, because he just got his ass beat.

Chris Weidman is the new middle-weight champ of the UFC, and I just ended my streak of being wrong on these main event fights (like the last half-dozen or so lol).

Honestly, I think Anderson knew exactly what he was doing. I don't think he was intentionally letting Weidman take his belt, but I certainly do feel as though his priorities going into this fight were to make it as exciting as possible for the fans and from what I gathered during his post-fight speech, moving out of the way for a new champion in his division. I mean, throughout the entire fight he was trying to get the fans on their feet and Weidman on his game, and with the kiss between round 1 and two and taunting during the same, I couldn't help but feel as though Anderson knew he was done and just wanted to make sure his exit was epic and Weidman's entrance was deserved.

I'm still in shock at the result, but I really like Weidman and Anderson both. I just think it's time for some new talent and I really think Anderson felt the same given the way in which he handled this fight.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Not surprised at all. Anderson Silva was showboating more than usual, against an opponent with KO power.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I loved it! About damn time he got knocked out. I hate that showboating stuff. You're a fighter so fight. I don't want to see you in there being goofy. I want to see a entertaining FIGHT!!! Props to Weidman for keeping his game tight and not playing into the dumbness of Silvas cage antics.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Anderson Silva has done this clowning this time and time before. A lot of people feel it's disrespectful, and maybe to an extent it is, but it's still a strategy. When you're constantly swinging and trying hard to hit your opponent and completely fail, that will crumble a fighter's confidence. It worked with Griffin and Bonnar.

Silva is very aware of his legacy, and how he strikes fear into his opponents. A lot of people get beat before they even step into the cage. He knows this. The problem was none of that mattered to Weidman. Even while he was clowning, Weidman stayed focused. It was pretty amazing to watch. I think Silva was less trying to be exciting and more trying to intimidate Weidman; let him know that he was in the big leagues now, and that he didn't belong there.

This fight reminded me a lot of GSP/Serra, where GSP didn't respect Serra. Except in this fight, Weidman deserved to be respected, and Silva paid for not giving it to him.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
I've always been a Silva fan, but seeing him get caught like that was well deserved. I'm happy for Weidman. That's always going to be a milestone moment in his career, whether he remains champion for long or not.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
It would be in Silva's best interest to shoot for a rematch next year same time, and let Weidman defend once or twice against Munoz/Belfort.

Obviously Silva doesn't want to wait too long given his age, but having a full year lead up to concentrate on a single fighter could only help his cause
and make for an even bigger fight draw.

I'd like to see Weidman vs Belfort next, maybe in the fall.
And since Bisping is back in winning ways, let's see if he's able to make the big step up again (like he never quite can) by defeating Mark Munoz (I don't think so).

Cnev

Reaction score
Now that Anderson is no longer the champ, I'm really interested to see if Machida will drop down and fight Weidman. He's getting up there in age, and I for one would love to see him hold the belt again.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
That would be a very in-shape Machida at 185, but I can't see him wanting to do that and I also don't think he could stay away from Weidman like he did with Dan Henderson.
So IMO it'd be a huge gamble for Machida that would likely backfire.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
To be honest, I was very glad to see Anderson knocked out. I was so tired of watching him disrespect other fighters and dance around. I watched the KO a dozen times and smiled every time.

blanco

Reaction score
I can't stop watching it, i don't think anyone expect it to happen that way. I like watching both fighters but Silva just got that little bit too cocky for my liking. Watching him get tagged on the chin in the first round and acting like it was nothing and actually egging Weidman to have another go made me wonder if Weidman was holding a little back for like an opportune moment.

Silva's talked about fighting Bisping before and i felt like Bispings fight with Sonnen was an on the fence fight were the call could have gone anyway.

As for Weidman... well lets just see who they throw at him cause i'm sure a fair few people have their sights on that belt now.

Cnev

Reaction score
That would be a very in-shape Machida at 185, but I can't see him wanting to do that and I also don't think he could stay away from Weidman like he did with Dan Henderson.
So IMO it'd be a huge gamble for Machida that would likely backfire.

Yeah, but he has talked about it before and his only reservation at the time was the fact Anderson was the champion and he refused to fight him. He has fought below 205 before in his career so i don't think it will be a big deal for him at all to drop down. He said his walk around weight is around 205.

Weidman showed a pretty intelligent striking game against Silva, no doubt, but Machida is one of the most creative and skilled strikers in the UFC and his TDD is top-notch.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, but he has talked about it before and his only reservation at the time was the fact Anderson was the champion and he refused to fight him. He has fought below 205 before in his career so i don't think it will be a big deal for him at all to drop down. He said his walk around weight is around 205.

Weidman showed a pretty intelligent striking game against Silva, no doubt, but Machida is one of the most creative and skilled strikers in the UFC and his TDD is top-notch.

True, and I wouldn't mind watching that one either.
I wouldn't really mind seeing Bisping get his shot, and the U.S.A. vs Britian would make for some good hypability.

blanco

Reaction score
Thats a really good article the way he breaks it down frame by frame and talks about the pattern Weidman through his punches and how it forces Silva's body back behind his centre of gravity because of the way he evades/showboats.

The gif was brilliant as well.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I'd like to see Weidman vs Belfort next, maybe in the fall.
And since Bisping is back in winning ways, let's see if he's able to make the big step up again (like he never quite can) by defeating Mark Munoz (I don't think so).

Well I got my wish!!!!

It's going to be Bisping vs Munoz on October 26 as the main event on a FOX Fight Night.

Cormier vs Nelson could be good if it stays on the feet.

I don't believe D.C. will ever make the 205 class, and I'm really not convinced he ever wants to even though he has talked about it.
Nelson should definitely be fighting at 205.