The Shoegaze Thread

• Thread starter AdamMaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
This album seems to be getting a lot of attention across the web, rightfully so.

If I were to describe it... instrumental Dream Pop/Electronic.

gh0Zt

Reaction score
I might of done a shoegazing song but im not sure XD listen to it and see if it fits into the genre.. and if you like subscribe

Cryogene - Desolate Forest - YouTube

i love Deftones ''shoegazing'' music like digital bath and others.. i love this music but the actual name of this genre is a bit silly (the way someone stands when plying this particular genre... is the name of the genre) but hey that doesnt meen the music is!

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
I always wondered what shoegaze was, and now I know! Sounds a lot like Britpop to my ears, is that a fair assessment?

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I usually think of it as being The Smiths with more punk influence and a lot of sound experimentation.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Slowdive are touring come October/November!

10-22 Washington, DC – 9:30 Club
10-23 Philadelphia, PA – Union Transfer
10-25 New York, NY – Terminal 5
10-26 Boston, MA – Royale
10-27 Montreal, Quebec – Le National
10-28 Toronto, Ontario – Opera House
10-30 Chicago, IL – The Vic
10-31 Minneapolis, MN – Fine Line
11-03 Vancouver, British Columbia – Commodore
11-04 Seattle, WA – Neptune
11-05 Portland, OR – Crystal Ballroom
11-07 San Francisco, CA – Warfield
11-08 Los Angeles, CA – The Theatre at Ace Hotel

Tickets on sale Friday!

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
This thread is great! I have a question though. What would you guys recommend as easy stuff to get into playing-wise. I've made some upgrades to my rig and I can now handle effects-heavy tones and was looking to finally get the ball rolling into shoegaze but I'm at a loss as to what or how to play it as noob-ish as that sounds.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I always thought most of it would be easy to play since a lot of it is either simple power chord rhythms or simple alternate picking patterns and that it came down mostly to how you use your effect pedals? Maybe the classics such as Ride or Chapterhouse... they didn't use too many effects and the production is clean for when you're listening to the playing by ear.

Regarding Slowdive tickets for those curious as to price, I paid 40$ CND for a single ticket, very comfortable paying that to see them.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
HurrDurr said:
This thread is great! I have a question though. What would you guys recommend as easy stuff to get into playing-wise. I've made some upgrades to my rig and I can now handle effects-heavy tones and was looking to finally get the ball rolling into shoegaze but I'm at a loss as to what or how to play it as noob-ish as that sounds.

What specific bands do you dig, i'd suggest playing some of their tunes to get a feel of the style.

And everyone else what slowdrive album do I start with?

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

AdamMaz

Reaction score
They have 3 LPs and a bunch of EPs.

The only work of theirs I don't care for is the last LP Pygmalion. Souvlaki is widely considered their best work, although personally I prefer the debut Just For A Day. The early EPs are phenomenal, the self-titled EP and Morningrise EP come to mind right away :yesway:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
They have 3 LPs and a bunch of EPs.

The only work of theirs I don't care for is the last LP Pygmalion. Souvlaki is widely considered their best work, although personally I prefer the debut Just For A Day. The early EPs are phenomenal, the self-titled EP and Morningrise EP come to mind right away :yesway:

So out of their LPs then which one has the best bass lines?

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
What specific bands do you dig, i'd suggest playing some of their tunes to get a feel of the style.

And everyone else what slowdrive album do I start with?

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

I'm really into the grittier atmospheric stuff with a lot of distorted effects and droning like Nothing, Deafheaven, Junius, My Bloody Valentine, Have A Nice Life, etc. I'm also into cleaner ambient stuff akin to Slowdive, Pity Sex, and later/more recent Alcest, among others. I'm gonna take your advice and start learning some of their stuff, but I've also been looking up technique tutorials to get the hang of swells, drones, and figuring out my effects chains. All that good stuff :yesway:

Oh, and I'd also highly recommend Souvlaki by Slowdive!

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Slowdive are touring come October/November!

10-22 Washington, DC – 9:30 Club
10-23 Philadelphia, PA – Union Transfer
10-25 New York, NY – Terminal 5
10-26 Boston, MA – Royale
10-27 Montreal, Quebec – Le National
10-28 Toronto, Ontario – Opera House
10-30 Chicago, IL – The Vic
10-31 Minneapolis, MN – Fine Line
11-03 Vancouver, British Columbia – Commodore
11-04 Seattle, WA – Neptune
11-05 Portland, OR – Crystal Ballroom
11-07 San Francisco, CA – Warfield
11-08 Los Angeles, CA – The Theatre at Ace Hotel

Tickets on sale Friday!

Oh yes, i will be at the NYC show for sure!

The band is sounding as good as ever:

Latest posts