The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^that's the key thing in my opinion, it's part of the process, and I'm sure Ola's accounts for it.

If I were in Ola's position and someone couldn't cough up, I'd give them one do-over and allow them a second try in 10 slots time or just tell them to get a new slot and move on. I really don't think he's going to mind people passing on their slots as it means he can come back to people further up his list sooner. I think I even have an email from him saying something to that end.

Can we go back to talking about guitars? :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I'll post my specs to start off the return of the guitar talk :lol:

7 String
Bolt On
Swamp Ash Body
Walnut Top w/ F Hole
3 Piece Maple with Carbon Fiber Laminates
Natural Finish
Conventional Neck Shaping, a Low D would be nice (May consider one of the others, but for now I've just got this until I can make some mockups and talk to ola about it)
Birds Eye Maple Fretboard
20-22" Radius
Luminlay Side Markers
24 Jumbo Frets
27 - 25.5" Fan / Neutral 7th Fret
ColdSweat Pickups
Black Hardware

I've always been a fan of natural guitars, and ever since I laid eyes on a swamp ash body I've wanted one for their insane grain, and the tonality seems to be fairly broad and right up my alley. I'm going for a nice subtle fan, to help with the B whilst maintaining the feel I'm already used to on the higher strings. Maple board for a nice bright snappy tone, I've always preferred the sound of maple compared to rosewood and ebony, and birds eye because it gives me shivers in private places :lol:

Lirtle

Reaction score
8-string
bolt on
Arm bevel
Swamp Ash
Top from stock (will decide when build starts)
Rosewood/Purple Heart Neck
Rosewood board
27.5-26 fan
Stainless Frets
Face inlays
Endurneck
Hopefully slanted bkps
Leather gig bag

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Actually I will add, I'm going for Coldsweats if the slanted pickups, uh, pick up. If not, I'll look at Lace Bars or find other alternatives.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as pickups are concerned, I'm going for an 8-string with a pretty large (relatively speaking) fan, so I'm DEFINITELY going with soapbar pickups of some sort, likely Lace as they sound good and are included in the price.

The fact of the matter is, even though I've played and owned several guitars with the wood combo I'm looking to use, I still haven't played this particular guitar, so I'm going to hold off on extra pricey, custom pickups just quite yet. As tempting as it may be to get a set of custom Nordstrand or Vintage Vibe pickups, I just wouldn't know what to ask for.

As for passive sized pickups, been there, done that. I have a fanned 8-string with passive sized pickups and it's just been a pain to try and look for options for replacement that don't cost an arm and a leg. Everything has to be custom, and once you get them you still run the risk of them not sounding as good as you hoped, not to mention you're now stuck with pickups that only fit your guitar (or others with the EXACT same fan, perpendicular fret, string spacing, things that are VERY far from from being standardized at this time). In fact, down the road, I'm probably going to route my current 8-string for soapbars.

I'd rather be open to using three or four decades worth of bass pickup options, as well as some great guitar oriented bars.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^See I was thinking that, which is why I went with a couple of safe options - I.e stock fan size and some pickups I'm very familiar with. I want to try new stuff, just not on somethin I'll have waited this long for and spent this much on.

Loving the swamp ash fan base here, it's quickly become my favourite body wood.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^See I was thinking that, which is why I went with a couple of safe options - I.e stock fan size and some pickups I'm very familiar with. I want to try new stuff, just not on somethin I'll have waited this long for and spent this much on.

Loving the swamp ash fan base here, it's quickly become my favourite body wood.

I've been doing a lot of tinkering with foam blocks, FretFind2D print outs, etc. and I'm 90% sure I'm going to like the specs I'm choosing. I'm going with woods that I'm pretty familiar with, and having them chosen not only by Ola but by an independent wood shop known for supplying high quality guitar woods, with an onsite luthier.

I could just go the "safe" route, but I'd rather get something very unique. Said and done, it's only another $1k or so between getting something safe and getting something truly different, even more different than anything Ola has made up to this point.

Worse case scenario I have Ola build me a new neck, though I do have a second build slot so I could "fix" any issues there. I've already budgeted every cent I'll need for this build, even if his build times do magically shrink down to a few months (which I just plainly don't see happening). I have plenty of time till my build starts. There are close to 40 ahead of me. Even if all but 20 back out, I'll have (if he still sticks to five at a time) I'll still have well over a year before my build even starts. Though, I have a couple grand waiting in my PayPal ready to go for him.

The fact of the matter is, you're ALWAYS running a risk buying a guitar in this manner, as in before it even exists.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
That's very fair.

I'm glad I have a lot of time to think about this, and I have a BRJ arriving in the meantime with a few options I've not had before (rosewood neck and ss frets for example, though they're least of my worried). The specs i'm buying a Strandberg for; lightweight, fan, DAT BRIDGE, swamp ash, rosewood, Endurneck, purple hardware etc I'm sticking with, the rest is just a case of do I stick to a formula I know works (DS7 and AN7 with 3 way and vol) or do it push it - was considering the Cold Sweats which I could get skewed to fit the fanned bridge pickup route, getting a bigger fan, an 8th string.

I also considered a solid/metallic paint finish at one point but I'm kinda loving the wood.

Lirtle

Reaction score
I was thinking about a burst for awhile. Might still do one depending on the top wood I choose.
In other news, I contacted ola today to make sure the number "30" would be engraved on my guitar despite demos and changes that have affected the order of production.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^not likely, my number's gone up a couple of times now.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Just emailed Ola regarding payment. One thing I didn't keep in mind was that if you wanted to pay as you go as the build commences, each time you deposit money into his account the international transfer fee or paypal fees will apply each time. Just left this here in case anyone was considering how they would pay for it.

Lirtle

Reaction score
I think he's saying buyers have the option of paying as the build progresses as opposed to first deposit and final deposit. I think that's what he meant.

Lirtle

Reaction score
Is anyone else here doing the baritone hybrid? I'm curious to hear what people think about it. I'm sort of on the fence because it seems like a great idea but also seems like it might be obtrusive when playing.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is anyone else here doing the baritone hybrid? I'm curious to hear what people think about it. I'm sort of on the fence because it seems like a great idea but also seems like it might be obtrusive when playing.

I thought about it, but at the end of the day I rather add 1" to the fan, and then just have the full frets. Nothing would be stopping my from down tuning the lower string or two and then capo'ing the entire fretboard.

Perhaps if Ola had a design similar to what Rick Toone is doing, and Phil Kubicki already did, regarding an "instant capo" design I'd be more open to it.

Perhaps, if by the time my second build slot comes around and there still isn't a suitable fanned trem design (still crossing my fingers) I'll go for a parallel fretted 7-string with a trem.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Just emailed Ola regarding payment. One thing I didn't keep in mind was that if you wanted to pay as you go as the build commences, each time you deposit money into his account the international transfer fee or paypal fees will apply each time. Just left this here in case anyone was considering how they would pay for it.

Isn't the fee just a percentage though? If so, it doesn't matter how many times you pay, the fee totals will still just end up adding to the same as a single transfer.

3%*(2+3+5)= 0.3

3%*(10)= 0.3

Lirtle

Reaction score
Isn't the fee just a percentage though? If so, it doesn't matter how many times you pay, the fee totals will still just end up adding to the same as a single transfer.

3%*(2+3+5)= 0.3

3%*(10)= 0.3

Yeah, It doesn't make any difference