The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
I believe Ola himself used to make the M2M guitars, I wouldn't be surprised if he still was very much hands on with that line, while the custom shop is done by his workers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
I believe Ola himself used to make the M2M guitars, I wouldn't be surprised if he still was very much hands on with that line, while the custom shop is done by his workers.

I'm pretty sure when it got to mine(#67), alot of the guitar was already built by his team and not him personally. It was in the build album on facebook. Frets, body sanding, cutting the body blank was done by his team.

I reckon Ola's probably more involved in expanding the business, R&D and probably QC work here and there. Wish they would post more progress shots of M2Ms.

olejason

Reaction score
Deposits should be required in order to vote on specs because it proves who is serious about purchasing, and it will ensure that the actual buyers get specs that they want while still making compromises for everyone involved. (The issue with this is that people aren't going to want to put down money on something that they know nothing about. Not one single spec until they vote.)

I agree with you but I also see the other side of it. I'd never put down a deposit for fear of the Keisel/Ormsby type people jumping in and voting for a bunch of ridiculous looking specs. I guess I have a hard time getting excited for the 'vote for specs' guitars no matter how you do it.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Well I'd recommend dividing the group run into two, and you could vote within each partition if you wanted something generally "classy" or "hot mess".

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Well I'd recommend dividing the group run into two, and you could vote within each partition if you wanted something generally "classy" or "hot mess".

And what about people ordering their own custom shop Strandberg?! I really don't get the purpose of these run...

Do we really need WG for this? Just to get some free upgrades on 50 or 100 buck options?

:noplease:

Inceptic

Reaction score
Actually, the WG specs weren't determined by voting. On the surface, it looks that way, but if you pay attention, it's not.

1. Mehtab chose the Varberg shape in spite of poll results.

2. If you look at the second round of voting, the survey doc, the choices they want you to make are always #1, with the words "free upgrade" in parenthesis. (This is akin to a how magicians/mentalists deal out cards to give you the illusion of choice.)

3. There was no voting on the colors at all.

narad

Reaction score
Ha, you're nuts, man. The Varberg was in the lead at the time that the decision was made, by the early voters who reflect more of the reliable buyer pool than the randoms. And #2 is just total nutso -- those are the options that Ola agreed to do without charge for a run, not the options necessary for the Illuminati to break the 7th seal.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Ha, you're nuts, man. The Varberg was in the lead at the time that the decision was made, by the early voters who reflect more of the reliable buyer pool than the randoms. And #2 is just total nutso -- those are the options that Ola agreed to do without charge for a run, not the options necessary for the Illuminati to break the 7th seal.

lmao I was waiting for you to go after him :yesway:

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Gawdy choices aside, I wouldn't get conspiratorial about WG's run. It's not exactly in their interest to screw over paying customers.

Despite my personal objections, I'll be happy to see these proliferate after the run. I'd like to see these be very well made. I feel like I always see some sort of caveat to Strandberg NGDs. Some sloppy routing, finish marks, etc. I know they've done a lot of shuffling around so I hope they finally get all the kinks ironed out.

Inceptic

Reaction score
No one is getting screwed because no one is owed a Varberg, and no one is being coerced into joining the run.

It's just naive to think that the Varbergs ended up looking that way because "kids voted on them". Everyone knows that the value of a run is determined by the free upgrades, so the free upgrades get chosen. The options offered as free upgrades are determined by WG and Strandberg, and there was only one free upgrade option per category.

Thus, there's no conspiracy nor rocket science involved here.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight, but I don't think you can say that the early voting was more likely to be paying customers. If anything, people with jobs may not have been able to log into FB immediately to do the voting. I don't think we can glean much from the time of voting. I doubt Mehtab cared which won, but in theory he could have stopped the voting whenever the voting matched the result he wanted. For myself, if I were in charge (or Ola) I'd have pushed for a Varberg just to get it into the wild, and try to reproduce the business the boden did.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score

I knew you were part of the conspiracy!

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Mehtab did say early on he wanted the varberg to win since there aren't a ton of them floating around out there, which is a sentiment I agree with.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Mehtab did say early on he wanted the varberg to win since there aren't a ton of them floating around out there, which is a sentiment I agree with.

To be honest, that alone is good business. What will have better resale value? A boden or a varberg? The customer get something unique and the buyers get a safety net. If they don't care for the neck/shape it will be easy to sell at minimal loss.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'm still shocked that a guitar "run" can cost $4000 or more for the instrument. Apparently I'm not the baller I thought I was! That is waaaaaaay out of my price range.

narad

Reaction score
I'm still shocked that a guitar "run" can cost $4000 or more for the instrument. Apparently I'm not the baller I thought I was! That is waaaaaaay out of my price range.

Nah, totally agree. $4k there's no reason to compromise at all, because that's full-on custom money. It's a win for those guys who were just waiting to place a vividly-stained burl top + ziricote board order, as soon as they pawned their Ed Hardy shirt collections.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Nah, totally agree. $4k there's no reason to compromise at all, because that's full-on custom money. It's a win for those guys who were just waiting to place a vividly-stained burl top + ziricote board order, as soon as they pawned their Ed Hardy shirt collections.
My morning just started off on the right foot when I checked this thread and read that. :lol: