The Tube Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
Help me!
Kt88/kt66 combo in a dual rectifier?

Opinions Opinions Opinions PLZ!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
In my 2 channel dual rec (if I remember correctly):

A quad of JJ E34Ls

high gain JJ ECC83S's for V1, V2, V3, a standard ECC83S for V4 and a balanced ECC83S for V5.

Gz34 rec tubes

I got the "High Gain Option with E34L's" from euro tubes.

The thing slayssss

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Retubed both my Dark Terror and Traynor Bassmaster, Preferred Series and JJ KT77 comes from here: www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for audio tubes.

Amp: Orange Dark Terror 15w

Preamp:
V1, V2 and V3: Preferred Series 7025/12AX7
V4: Electro Harmonix 12AU7

Poweramp:
V5 and V6: Preferred Series 7189/EL84

Review: Tried it quickly using my Telecaster, got a little more "roar" and fuzz in the sound, have to check with another guitar as I feel like I lost some bottom end, but the Tele is so bright that it might be its fault lol

­­­­­­___________________________________________

Amp: 1972 Traynor Bassmaster

Preamp:
V1, V2 and V3 changed to the Engl ECC83 that were in my Engl Thunder 50

Poweramp:
V4 and V5: JJs KT77

Review: I plan to use this amp to play doom metal using various pedal. As for now, I still have to mod it because the amount of bass in it is overwhelming, but the KT77 and ECC83 did gave a little more natural gain.

KingOfTheRotten

Reaction score
I am playing a triamp mk1 with 6l6s and the standard tubes. I am thinking of changing at least the tubes in the third amp section (higain) because i use that The most and Want an even better Sound of. I just don't know what tubes i should get

jmeezle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got a new Carvin TS100 delivered today. They come stock with EL34's and since this is my first tube amp I know zero about tubes. I've heard that 6L6's are the way to go, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have a simple question regarding 2 preamps equiped with 12AX7's. Last time I was using them I had a power outage which lasted miliseconds; like if someone had turned it off and on suddently. I checked things next day and they seem to keep working fine, but I was wondering that if the 12AX7 tubes I have in both preamps could have got damaged from that situation, added that one of them was providing phantom power to one of my condensers. I'm worried about that too, but the condenser seems to work fine. Both microphone preamps are low voltage, meaning the power going into them is 9v.

I'm worried because I replaced stock tubes from those preamps and I could say they are good tubes to my taste and really hard to get in my town. One of them is a Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissue and the other one is a Sovtek 12AX7WB.

Thanks in advance guys.

vick1000

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have a simple question regarding 2 preamps equiped with 12AX7's. Last time I was using them I had a power outage which lasted miliseconds; like if someone had turned it off and on suddently. I checked things next day and they seem to keep working fine, but I was wondering that if the 12AX7 tubes I have in both preamps could have got damaged from that situation, added that one of them was providing phantom power to one of my condensers. I'm worried about that too, but the condenser seems to work fine. Both microphone preamps are low voltage, meaning the power going into them is 9v.

I'm worried because I replaced stock tubes from those preamps and I could say they are good tubes to my taste and really hard to get in my town. One of them is a Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissue and the other one is a Sovtek 12AX7WB.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hard to believe a surge from a 9v DC source would hurt a 12AX7 much. Unless it was a direct strike and you see smoke damage on the sockets.

Carver

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Reaction score
1965 fender bassman amp

2 6l6 EHX in the power section - Preamps are all Tung sol

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
VHT Pitbull 100 w eq

JJ E34L for power

V1 mesa
V2 GT ax7-c
V3 JJ ecc 83 s
V4 (pi) china ax7-b

Sounds great with passives and a maxon 808.

Would like to try different power tubes but the JJ have served me well for quite a while.

MildlyMoist

Reaction score
Jet City JCA22H

5x Electro Harmonix 12AX7
2x Electro Harmonix EL84

Far too much gain all over the place. Any ideas ?

Got the OD (Soldano designed) channel on 1-2 and it's already gain city up in here.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Jet City JCA22H

5x Electro Harmonix 12AX7
2x Electro Harmonix EL84

Far too much gain all over the place. Any ideas ?

Got the OD (Soldano designed) channel on 1-2 and it's already gain city up in here.

You could experiment with replacing the V1 with a 12AT7 (ECC81) or an old long plate 12AX7 (RCA, Brimax, Hammond, etc) for starters. Also could try mixing in a normal JJ (not a higain spec one) in V2 and a GT in V3. You could also experiment with a 12AT7, 7551 or other lower gain tubes in V3 / V4.

In a final nod, an 12AT7 / ECC81 with balanced triodes could be used in V5 (that's the phase inverter slot I think) to lower the overall gain. It has the effect of lowering the overall volume of the preamp but also cleans up the saturation of the overall preamp sound before it goes into the power amp. I have a JJ ECC81 with that config that I use just for such occasions.

MildlyMoist

Reaction score
You could experiment with replacing the V1 with a 12AT7 (ECC81) or an old long plate 12AX7 (RCA, Brimax, Hammond, etc) for starters. Also could try mixing in a normal JJ (not a higain spec one) in V2 and a GT in V3. You could also experiment with a 12AT7, 7551 or other lower gain tubes in V3 / V4.

In a final nod, an 12AT7 / ECC81 with balanced triodes could be used in V5 (that's the phase inverter slot I think) to lower the overall gain. It has the effect of lowering the overall volume of the preamp but also cleans up the saturation of the overall preamp sound before it goes into the power amp. I have a JJ ECC81 with that config that I use just for such occasions.

Thanks for the tips man i'll definitely take these into serious consideration.
Gotta bust that fizz.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips man i'll definitely take these into serious consideration.
Gotta bust that fizz.

Well, if you just need to tame fizz, then different 12AX7 varieties can typically do that. Tung-Sols in my experience have the same amount of gain as EH but without the fizzy, grainy sound in the gain structure.

I reference JJs a couple times but know that those should be used sparingly in my experience. They can be helpful in some positions to smooth out the overall tone but they are really dark so full retube jobs consisting of nothing but JJs sound overly dark and a bit too compressed in my experience.

dominic252

Reaction score
Looking for some advice

I have a Peavey Ultra Plus that I'm looking to get a little darker of a sound, more like a 5150, out of it. A little too bright for me. I have no idea what kind of tubes are in it, but maybe you guys can give me some advice as to which tubes could give me a darker sound?

Thanks!

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Looking for some advice

I have a Peavey Ultra Plus that I'm looking to get a little darker of a sound, more like a 5150, out of it. A little too bright for me. I have no idea what kind of tubes are in it, but maybe you guys can give me some advice as to which tubes could give me a darker sound?

Thanks!

I've got an Ultra Plus as well. JJ's helped tame it down. However, mine is also modded with three resistor/caps now. They were a BITCH to do. Evened out the honky mids and harsh highs. Added a little more "umph"...lol. However, I'm still not getting the sound I want. So ready to "trash" it.

mesaboogie6l6

Reaction score
Looking for some advice

Thanks!
https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=93

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I've noticed some things after i changed the tubes in my dual rec. the amp is harder to control now, i have to turn down the volume pot on the guitar to activate the noise gate properly.

What can signs can i expect just after changing power tubes?