The Tube Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
A post of mine from the EVH owners thread:

I changed out the stock JJ power tubes for a set of Mesa's I got from taliababa on here. The JJ's didn't die or anything; I just wanted to try something new, plus I can keep the JJ's around for spares since I didn't have any before this. They've made a pretty noticeable difference in feel, though the sound wasn't very greatly impacted. Compared to the JJ's, these have a slightly flatter response with deeper/punchier lows and slightly more highs compared to a slightly rolled off top end response of the JJ set. I feel like the presence and resonance knobs are a little bit more responsive as well. A new pair of Mesa 6l6's can be kind of pricey (mine were used), but they are just rebranded Sovteks, which can be found a good bit cheaper online :yesway:

I swapped the V1 preamp tube for a Tung-Sol. I have mixed feelings about it, honestly, so I may put the original JJ back in or try some Mesa's I have laying around (rebranded JJ's, right?) I personally wouldn't recommend the Tung-Sol if you're running your 5153 through a 1x12 or 2x12 cab since it adds a good bit of high end/clarity to an already bright amp, but if you're running a 4x12 it helps give low notes better definition. I'm running a Mesa 4x12 Traditional and/or a 2x12 Rectifier horizontal, so you may have different results if you use a cab with darker speakers.

I like to run both the 4x12 and 2x12 together with my setup, so I'll be looking for a V1 tube that lies somewhere between the brightness of the Tung-Sol and the darker JJ. Any suggestions for this?

Since then, I've taken to only running one cab at a time because I feel like there's better punch and body when the amp is only driving one cab. Maybe it's all in my head though :shrug:

Anyway, the Tung Sol in V1 and JJ's in the rest of the preamp is what I'm still running and I like it a lot, though I'm still open to trying other tubes in that position (EHX perhaps?) I'm also still running the Mesa 6l6 pair in the power section.

I'm thinking of ordering a matched pair of Sovtek 6l6WXT+ next time I need to swap out the power tubes. From what I've read, Mesa 6l6's are rebranded Sovtek 6l6WXT tubes, and both the extra output/headroom and *advertised* better tone of the + version sound appealing. Has anyone used the 6l6WXT+ in a 5153, 6505, or similar amp for a comparison?

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
With you on this. But, digital > tube amp played NOT loud

Easy fix for that. I run my KT-77 modded Peavey 3120 with the master volume set at about 3 o'clock and the channel volumes turned down. Makes the power amp section kick in, but I still get bedroom volumes. :yesway:

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
Just joined the Tube ranks. Blackheart Little Giant, all stock. Will have to wait to upgrade the tubes since I spent all my budget on the amp itself for a few months, if not a year. I love the single channel cranks though. Got some awesome crunch tones while jamming with various family members playing the drum set. and it was only on the 3 watt setting!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sonofabias

Reaction score
:wavey: At this time I'm using a rack rigg as my main live' system .

Power : Engl e920 w/ Quad Siemans EL 34 ( came with the amp ! ) JJ 12ax7
Pre : Peavey Rockmaster ( modded ) w/ jj and Mesa 12ax7a

I really like the Siemans power tubes in this amp , but I'd like to try a KT77 or 6CA7 for a little different tonal color and keep the siemans 34's for a really special occasion , they sound amazing and cost just as much , perhaps I should just save my $ until I've enough for another quad ( 275 to 500 ! ) , but I need something I can count on for gigging and recording , I'm in three bands so whatever brand I choose has to be dependable . My tech ( Harry Kolbe protege' ) swears by jj's , but I curious if anyone can suggest alternative KT77 or 6CA7 ? :hbang:

vick1000

Reaction score
I loved the JJ 6CA7s in my JSX, but they were a matched Cryoset treated quad, totally worth it though. The EHX 6CA7s are supposed to be bulletproof too, just brighter overall than the JJs.

Didn't like KT77s as much, E34Ls were nice though, but they are tough on grid resistors since they draw more heater current.

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
I put TAD 6L6GC-STR in my IRT60H. Way better than the stock Ruby's.

In the preamp here's my config:

V1: JJ ECC83S
V2: Ruby stock (chinese)
V3: Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissue
V4: Sovtek 12AX7-LPS

Sweet sounding!!!

Did you bias the IRT60H when you replaced the tubes? Thanks

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
A post of mine from the EVH owners thread:

Since then, I've taken to only running one cab at a time because I feel like there's better punch and body when the amp is only driving one cab. Maybe it's all in my head though :shrug:

Anyway, the Tung Sol in V1 and JJ's in the rest of the preamp is what I'm still running and I like it a lot, though I'm still open to trying other tubes in that position (EHX perhaps?) I'm also still running the Mesa 6l6 pair in the power section.

I'm thinking of ordering a matched pair of Sovtek 6l6WXT+ next time I need to swap out the power tubes. From what I've read, Mesa 6l6's are rebranded Sovtek 6l6WXT tubes, and both the extra output/headroom and *advertised* better tone of the + version sound appealing. Has anyone used the 6l6WXT+ in a 5153, 6505, or similar amp for a comparison?

I've been reading around to tame the brightness and gain of channel 3. A user on one forum said a Sovtek LPS in v2 helped and fattened it up a bit but didn't reduce gain and tamed highs as well as making EQ and Pres/Res more responsive. A user on here said a 5751 in v4 did a lot for reducing gain. Also read that having your gain up to noon on this channel fattens it up because channel thins out with it at 9 o'clock. Currently running the gain at noon is impossible. Think I'm gonna do both. LPS in v2 and 5751 in v4. As of now my presence is always at zero and my highs at noon (at least on the red channel). My desired result obviously taming highs and gain and making the eq more responsive, as its pretty subtle now. Will report back on it if I can afford this week lol.

DanOates1

Reaction score
I've bought myself a rockerverb mkII 50 watt head and an orange 2x12 cab to go along with it. However the dirty channel isn't quite there in terms of a PHAT hardcore/metal/gainy tone like an EVH or 5150.
So what pedals should I get to try and get as close as I can to these awesome gainy and metal tones these other amps seem to achieve?

p4vl

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here has tried an E34L amp in a high-gain EL34-loaded amp like a Peavey 6534+ or 3120? The specs for an E34L sound like they're too my liking.

Well, the 3120 is basically the XXX, so yeah. I switch between JJ KT77 and JJ E34L's in my XXX. E34L's are my favorite EL-34 variation; a little more low end and headroom than most EL34's.

Peavey XXX 120w 2x12 used as head:
V1: RFT ECC83 (much better for smoothing out the gain than ECC82/81's/etc. as it still sounds punchy)
V2: JJ ECC83 HG
V3: JJ ECC83
V4: Sovtek 12ax7LPS

Ampeg VL-503 used as head:

Power: 2 x NOS GE 6550's.
Preamp: Mix of Chinese 12ax7's and Tung Sol RI's and a Sovtek LPS in the PI. In spite of the Tung Sol's and Shuguang's, channel 3 is muddy, dark and lacking gain :(

Both amps run into a Lopo 2x12 w/Eminence Legend V128's (love these speakers).

Would a 1x12 with a brighter speaker (ie. Eminence Wizard) help to tighten and brighten up the Ampeg's tone?

lewis

Reaction score
I can't believe that people actually play digital. You wouldn't catch me playing digital unless I was homeless.

ouch, thats harsh. Yet digital guys are willing to play tube amps and vice versa. Tube purists are short sighted, yet the digital guys they put down are open to trying anything out.

If you havent already, go and try a Kemper and compare A - B at loud volumes and see if you notice a difference. Because most do not, including small people like Andy Sneap lol

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Anyone know the benefits of having a tube with matched diodes in the phase inverter spot? Looking to retube my Mark V soon and stumbled on this topic

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
Anyone know the benefits of having a tube with matched diodes in the phase inverter spot? Looking to retube my Mark V soon and stumbled on this topic

You mean triodes, right? I would imagine, less crossover distortion and less even-order harmonics. In musicianspeak, it will clean up the sound a bit.

lewis

Reaction score
for live use Im using a tube preamp (Engl E530) with digital effects processing for effects and Cab sounds (HD Pro and Torpedo CAB respectively) and soon I will be running a Tube OD/Preamp pedal into the front of it in the way of the Laney Pulse Pedal (used as a clean boost)

I just prefer the sound/tone/power of loud guitar tones when they are Tube.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Question for XXX users... What power tubes do you use in your amps? I'm trying to decide between JJ 6L6s, EL34s, or 6CA7s.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
You mean triodes, right? I would imagine, less crossover distortion and less even-order harmonics. In musicianspeak, it will clean up the sound a bit.

Thanks man. I'm thinking about retubing soon and was wondering what is a go to set of pre amp tubes for the Mark V. I know the tube store suggests Tung-sol or their Preferred series. Any one have specific tubes they like in certain spots? Mainly playing metal, but wouldnt mind something different for channel 1 and 2.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Quick question regarding preamp tubes...

For those who like a brighter and tighter attack with their amps, what do you prefer in V1 of a preamp? Tung-sol, EHX, or Shuguang? When I see people trying to clean up muddy amps, I usually see those recommended since they tend to have less low end and more high end/mids.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I prefer Tung Sol for V1 in pretty much every case except for using a 5751 to reduce gain slightly. I've never tried an EHX in V1, but I feel like it would be a nice middle ground between the smoothness/mids of a JJ and the clarity/attack of a Tung Sol and would work well in an already bright amp.

I'm planning on doing some tube swapping in my EVH soon, so I'll try and report back with a comparison of a JJ, Chinese, EHX, 5751, and Tung Sol in the V1 spot :yesway:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That sounds good to me. I was gonna try doing a Tung in V1 to tighten up the input, while using JJs in everything else to smoothen and thicken the overall sound. Seems like it would be the best option for what I'm looking for. :agreed:

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Quick question regarding preamp tubes...

For those who like a brighter and tighter attack with their amps, what do you prefer in V1 of a preamp? Tung-sol, EHX, or Shuguang? When I see people trying to clean up muddy amps, I usually see those recommended since they tend to have less low end and more high end/mids.

I can't tell you exactly who made the tube but I ended up with a Mesa branded ax7 in V1 of my old 100CL and brighter and tighter is exactly what it did and it was a night and day difference from any of the other tubes I tried which were Groove Tubes, JJ and Chinese.

That is V1 specifically though, I had better sounds in the other slots with some of the GT's.

WhiskeyPickleJake

Reaction score
Amp: Line6 Spider Valve MkI/Bogner
Preamp: Tung-Sol 12ax7 (2)
Power: Tung-Sol 6L6gc STR (2)

Original equipment on this amp used Sovtek 5881's. I wanted higher quality softer tubes that could handle the 450+ volts I've read about on the Spider Valve, hence the STR version 6L6's. The factory spec for bias is 36.5mv, but when I retubed they were reading around 40mv. Not sure if that's normal as tubes age or not. For the record, the amp still sounded pretty good considering the factory tubes were 7 years old haha.