The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I actually don't mind the production either. I'm talking about content

Reaction score
Just my two cents, Eclipse was disappointing beyond any amount of expectation. Whenever a band you really love releases a new album, there's always this possibility that it won't be as good as the albums preceding it. I realize that. I take that into consideration. And I was still just incredibly surprised by how sub-par it is. I try to make myself like it and I still don't. Vicious Circles is actually the only song on it. I hope to god the new EP just blows it out of the water. It really freaks me out when people say that it was good... it makes me think: how could they have really appreciated CMC and id if they think Eclipse is quality material? but I guess the same thing could be spun around and put on me by people who are fans of the album. Yes, I realize this post isn't very constructive. I just needed to say it as I've been thinking it since Eclipse came out. And for the record I consider Veil Of Maya to be one of my most very favorite bands. That's why Eclipse hurts me so much.

If I could kiss you through the Internet and not have it be weird I'd totally do it, you summed up my entire opinion on eclipse:yesway:

Khoi

Reaction score
I love Eclipse, and I think the mix is great minus the drums. The drums didn't do it for me on that album, the kick just sounds so "clicky"

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
if you actually like the mix on this album , what other mixes do you enjoy? what do you use as a reference when you mix your own stuff?

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Funny this got bumped. I got something to show you guys later today ;)

Anyway, I still stand firm to my opinion of [id] > TCMC > Eclipse. [id] was a masterpiece and Eclipse was good the first half, bleh the second. The production makes it very forgettable in my mind too. I liked Keene's production on TCMC and [id] cause it sounded a lot more raw and unique.

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
Funny this got bumped. I got something to show you guys later today ;)

Anyway, I still stand firm to my opinion of [id] > TCMC > Eclipse. [id] was a masterpiece and Eclipse was good the first half, bleh the second. The production makes it very forgettable in my mind too. I liked Keene's production on TCMC and [id] cause it sounded a lot more raw and unique.

:yesway: times like 15 my good sir

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
if you actually like the mix on this album , what other mixes do you enjoy? what do you use as a reference when you mix your own stuff?

I enjoy anything drum heavy with tons of clarity.

I also enjoy the more "raw" style of high production. Sounds like an oxymoron these days, but Soilwork's "The Living Infinite" is a good example of my opinion on that.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

I don't think it's a matter of taste in Mixes, it just doesn't sound bad. Of course the production on [id] and TCMC are more raw and powerful, Eclipse is just carrying a modern more processed sound to it.

I don't think it's weird to enjoy the Mix on Eclipse, I only think it's weird to call it beyond terrible when it's actually good. It's just different from what you expected it to be, but some of my favorite album Mixes have been Coheed's The Afterman - Acension, Between The Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect.

But that's just me, taste in Mixes are just like EQ's on an amp, it's all different from one person to another,

isispelican

Reaction score
The mix is great but it doesn't quite fit the band like the previous mixes do.

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
I actually enjoy the mix off of eclipse, despite how different, or "modern" it is compared to their previous efforts. With that said, I just couldn't get into the album. I really don't have anything negative to say about it, but after first listen and thinking "this is awesome," I never really played it again.

I enjoy the combo of Bulb and VoM. I think if they did another album together, you'd see their original intentions evolve and become something epic.

anomynous

Reaction score
1379612_10152010887841214_538213963_n.jpg

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
well Brandon said they were working hard to stay relevant and not fall off

so I'm putting it 20/200 that the new song sounds like the Born of Osiris dubstep metal stuff

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
If I could kiss you through the Internet and not have it be weird I'd totally do it, you summed up my entire opinion on eclipse:yesway:

Mine too.

Wait I forgot I already said my piece on this.
My bad.

Cautiously optimistic for the NEW EP :yesway:

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
That artwork is really...really bad :ugh:. I realize it is only a digital art piece for the single, but I feel like every piece of the puzzle has to work together when it comes to a really amazing band presentation/effort/release etc. This to me looks like 'hey lets throw the logo on a stock background we have & use a bunch of random clip art & blend modes/filters to make it shine...& that is one dull shine baby :flame:
So I am looking forward to the new song highly but I am hoping the C level effort on the art isn't indicative of the recording/writing quality of the new tune(s)
Just my two-cents

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
That artwork is really...really bad :ugh:. I realize it is only a digital art piece for the single, but I feel like every piece of the puzzle has to work together when it comes to a really amazing band presentation/effort/release etc. This to me looks like 'hey lets throw the logo on a stock background we have & use a bunch of random clip art & blend modes/filters to make it shine...& that is one dull shine baby :flame:
So I am looking forward to the new song highly but I am hoping the C level effort on the art isn't indicative of the recording/writing quality of the new tune(s)
Just my two-cents

Sumerian isn't my first choice top notch cover art in all honesty

Forgiving a Future Self anyone?

DEFAULT PHOTOSHOP LEAF BRUSH ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW

Wait nevermind Sumerian didn't even release that one

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
THESE SORTS OF BANDS NEVER HAVE GOOD ARTWORK

THE FANS AREN'T THE TYPE OF PEOPLE THAT LIKE VISUAL ART THAT ISN'T PICTURES OF NEBULAS AND WEIRD CGI ALIENS

I AGREE, BUT THAT LAST SENTENCE DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.
Meaning I hope it sounds better than it looks ;)