The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Clean vocals are rarely a bad thing in my book as long as the songwriting is up to par. Albums that are just straight up br00tz from start to finish can almost get pretty exhausting to listen to some times. Some calm interludes with clean vocals would be straight up my alley but that would almost push them in a more prog metal-y direction.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
After seeing the Knotfest videos, am I the only one that thinks this new guy wasn't a good choice? His vocals don't sound all that unique, and frankly, he doesn't seem to have that much control over them live. Brandon killed it live, and this guy doesn't seem to be doing nearly as well as Brandon did any time I've seen VoM.

metalvince333

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Decent voice but nothing unique.Very disappointed to see how he acts live but that's something that can easily get better. By the looks of it, his previous band wasn't huge so it may simply be related to inexperience for now. I think that if he is the guy, he will surely make a difference in the studio but for now, he needs to work on stage presence. I don't know for you guys but I know that every time they play in Montreal, when the intro kicks in, the whole floor usually goes nuts and I mean...who wouldn't when you see Brandon headbanging his freakin head off right away?!? I hope it doesn't change.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
If anyones interested in hearing how the new vocalist sounds in the studio, I found his previous band's material on Bandcamp.
https://armsofempire.bandcamp.com/album/energy

Not sure how I feel about him replacing Brandon, he's not bad but I'm not sure how well I'll like him in Veil. I'm just glad I saw them before Brandon left.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
He's definitely not bad but I'm still bummed that Chaney didn't get the gig. I thought her audition was so spot on and she looked like she would have an insane stage presence.

Maybe it does have something to do with Lukas being able to do clean vocals though cause we don't know if Chaney could.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Not sure how i feel about this guy, IMO brandon just suited the bill perfectly, his vocals had this raw grittiness to them that suited with marcs raw thrashy gritty guitar tones.

anomynous

Reaction score
Because there wasn't even a full month between announcement and first show, and they said absolutely nothing about holding auditions. Just a vague "the hunt for a new vocalist is now on." Everybody just started making videos.

Plus the new vocalists mom said she had to keep this secret for a few weeks :squint::squint:

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
If anyones interested in hearing how the new vocalist sounds in the studio, I found his previous band's material on Bandcamp.
https://armsofempire.bandcamp.com/album/energy

Not sure how I feel about him replacing Brandon, he's not bad but I'm not sure how well I'll like him in Veil. I'm just glad I saw them before Brandon left.
I like this guy less as Brandon's replacement after hearing him in the studio. I hope this guy is just a fill-in, because his vocals are mediocre at best.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Definitely not feeling this guy as Brandon's replacement. I agree with saying he's simply mediocre. His vocals don't have the same power that Brandon's do, and as far as his cleans go, unless the music is super adapted to suit them I do not believe they'll fit.

Veil of Maya is one of my all-time favorite bands. Brandon Butler was who I modeled my vocal sound after for a time. This guy, in my opinion, is lacking in individual style and vocal strength. I'm also a bit worried about the chemistry in the band. BUT TIME WILL TELL. AND I'M HOPING ALL OF MY CONCERNS WILL BE SILENCED. Truly.

I am hoping for the best.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I can't hear this new guy because there's no speakers on my work computer, but I've always felt that veil of maya's vocals were kinda weak. His lows were good but his highs were just so generic sounding (though I guess this band probably was a huge influence on the billions of generic bands who copied the style) .
But from what you guys are saying it seems like the new guy is pretty generic sounding too. I guess that's better than some big change.

I'm not really sure what kind of vocals I'd like to hear in VoM

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what kind of vocals I'd like to hear in VoM
I don't know what I would want in terms of highs, but I know it's not the "late 90s hardcore yell" that the new guy does. As for lows, I would want something with a lot of power, which this guy's lows completely lack. I don't know, I just want them to have a vocalist with powerful and unique vocals, not a guy who sounds like every generic metalcore vocalist. Maybe Phil Bozeman should just ditch Whitechapel and come do vocals for Veil of Maya. Lord knows Phil doesn't use his full vocal talent in Whitechapel these days :lol:

Wildebeest

Reaction score
I swear I heard this song on the last Within The Ruins record.