Votes: 20 51.3%

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score

As far as quality goes the Edge Pro is on par with the Lo-Pro, it just has quite different feel to it. It's even lower profile, with a flat baseplate. It also tends to have a stiffer feel. It's not any better or worse, just different. They're also both made by Gotoh in the same facility.

Ah, ha. I was under the impression that the Edge Pro was crap compared to the Lo Pro. I guess that's just people around here being picky :rolleyes: Major thanks.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, ha. I was under the impression that the Edge Pro was crap compared to the Lo Pro. I guess that's just people around here being picky :rolleyes: Major thanks.

Look at it this way, the Lo-Pro Edge was the 7-string Ibanez trem for about 15 solid years, then they rather abruptly changed it.

It has more to do with people being used to a certain design, with a certain feel, then it does anything else.

Abhimanyu

Reaction score
Id like to know at this point if the old/new UVs having a basswood body really matters a lot when it comes to the tone .. .?

Does the K7 with the mahogany body have a solid, more 'alive' tone..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I think the K-7 sounds thicker and a bit darker, it's definitely a "bigger" tone imo, but thats not to say that UVs don't sound amazing. Both of them are top shelf guitars that you could take into a studio and get grade A tones with.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the K-7 sounds thicker and a bit darker, it's definitely a "bigger" tone imo, but thats not to say that UVs don't sound amazing. Both of them are top shelf guitars that you could take into a studio and get grade A tones with.

:agreed:

They're just different really.

I would say though, that the UV with it's Basswood body and Blaze pickups lends itself more to lead playing. While the K-7 with it's Mahogany body and PAF7's, lends itself to getting some better rhythm tones. Though, I'm only talking about stock examples.

Abhimanyu

Reaction score
This mite seem stupid but . . . is the pickguard on the UV a problem for Extensive picking ..as compared to the plain K7?!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This mite seem stupid but . . . is the pickguard on the UV a problem for Extensive picking ..as compared to the plain K7?!

Not really. The pickguards on my UV's have small scratches on them, but nothing serious. Though, my guitars are real players, not collectors. My RG7's, which don't have a pickguard (like the K-7) don't have any more or less wear on them.

Though, it really depends on your style of picking. To be honest I don't even notice the difference most of the time.

MorbidTravis

Banned
Reaction score
i played a uv7 today at guitarcenter, after playing my rc7x so much the pickups on the uv sound very weak and i actually find it harder to press down on the uv, ironically.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i played a uv7 today at guitarcenter, after playing my rc7x so much the pickups on the uv sound very weak and i actually find it harder to press down on the uv, ironically.

Not surprising as EMG's have FAR higher output than Blazes. Also, something tells me the UV had the standard shitty factory/GC set-up.

Abhimanyu

Reaction score
Not surprising as EMG's have FAR higher output than Blazes. Also, something tells me the UV had the standard shitty factory/GC set-up.

Ah! Surprised to know wot id been dreading all along .. Blazes lacking in comparison with the EMGs .. ! damn! :mad:

..the K7 I'm buying has a Dimarzio DropSonic 7 and an Air Norton 7 in the neck .. with a 5-way superswitch! .. guess it should solve these problems. . ! :evil:

Anyways, which of the two- K7 or the UV777, would have a longer natural sustain?! *(as in, acoustically) .. m guessing it falls in favor of mahogany, or does it..?! :scratch:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just like the title implies, if you're having trouble choosing between two guitars, from now on, post it in here.

How do I choose what guitar to buy?

Neck
All guitar necks are different. Some are baseball bat thick, and others are near paper thin. Some are flat as boards, while others are round and bulbous. As the neck is going to be, easily, the most touched part of the guitar by your hands, it's important to find a neck that suits you. There is no "good" or "bad" as far as neck shapes, just different. Typically, a given company will make most of their guitar necks similar in execution, for instance Ibanez tends to put very thin, flat necks on most of their guitars, while brands such as Gibson tend to put thicker, rounder necks on their guitars. Then there is the fretboard itself, and the frets in them. Fretboards are more often than not given a radius, a curvature of the front surface. Like the back of the neck, people's preference for radius can vary greatly. The lower the radius (measured in inches or millimeters) the rounder the fretboard, the higher the radius, the flatter the board. As for frets, they to come in many different sizes. Is the neck/fretboard everything? Of course not. Is it an important factor with a lot of thought? Definitely.

Bridge
Just like necks, there are many different types of guitar bridge out there. Bridges can be broken down into two main categories: Fixed and Tremolo, which can be further broken down into four categories: Hardtail, TOM, and Locking, Non-Locking.

Fixed bridges, like the name imply are fixed in place and do not move. They typically easier to change strings on, and alter tuning on the fly. The two main types are the Hardtail which is essentially a flat plate with saddles affixed to it with the string ends either being held by the flat plate, or strung through the guitar's body, and the TOM (short for Tune-O-Matic) which is a rod, raised on posts, which hold saddles, the string ends are then anchored either through the guitar's body, or on a separate bridge piece known as a Stop Tail, a good example of this would be the setup on a Gibson Les Paul.

A Tremolo (which really works as a Vibrato), is a moving bridge that can be used to alter the pitch of the strings in real time. Unlike the fixed bridges, these can often take more time to restring and tune. Though, with the proper technique it can be done very quickly. The first type of Trem, Locking, has a system in which bolts and pressure pads are used to lock the string in place at both the bridge and nut. This can significantly increase tuning stability, even with extreme trem use. The second type, the Non-Locking, works along the same principles and pitch shifting abilities, but does not lock the strings in place. The trade off in tuning/functional stability is made in the name of quicker and easier setups.

There is no "right" or "wrong" with choosing a bridge, like anything else, it'll come down to your own use for it as well as preferences.

Woods
There's a good amount of debate on what guitar woods really do to tone. What it really comes down to is every board of wood is different, even those cut from the same tree. So it's best to look at woods with a grain of salt, as not every piece of Mahogany will sound one way, and not every piece of Alder, Ash, or Basswood will sound another. They are but a single part of a guitars tonal makeup.

Neck Joint
Modern guitars tend to have one of three different neck joints: Bolt-On, Set-Neck, and Neck-Thru. All three have different attributes, but more often than not the execution in applying the method on a given guitar is what will stand out, not the method itself. There are plenty of myths out there, such as Bolt-On joints lacking sustain, or that Neck-Thru is indestructible, or even that Set-Neck is superior to all, but really, it depends on the instrument at hand.

Electronics
Guitar electronics can vary greatly, which is why, when choosing a guitar, it's important to know what aspects you'll need, which ones you won't, and how you might be able to modify the guitar in the future. For instance, if you know that you need a neck pickup, getting a guitar without one would be ill advised, and so forth.

Price
Lets face it, not all of us have the luxury of buying any guitar we want as if money is not an object. As such, and unfortunately, it's something to consider when buying a guitar. Something to consider though, is it's often cheaper in the long run to save up for your dream guitar, than it is to buy countless "intermediate" guitars.

That's just the basics.

dunno

Reaction score
Yo everyone!
Christmass is getting near and I thought to myself that maybe I will not pay my health and social insurance yet (again) and could get me a new guitar instead, to grow up my little collection :D After loooong period of changing GAS-es my mind is set to 4 guitars.
I currently own Ibanez K-7 and wanted to try something different.
These are the contestants:
Schecter Jeff Loomis with floyd rose
Schecter Hellraiser C-8 or Schecter ATX Blackjack 8
Schecter Damien 8
I was always saying that I won`t get an 8-string guitar, because I really can`t imagine the use of that extra low string, but after time at first i found that 8s are incredibly sexy and than started wondering that it may open new realms in my music, now I am quite sure that it would definetely find its place in creating new tunes. And in the worst case I still have 7-strings I am used to play involved there. There`s also one sevenstring so I think about getting 8 just because I want to try something really different, but if Loomis is much better tonally, than I won`t mind another 7.
I will play the guitar through Mesa Triple Recto.
What interests me most about this guitars is most importantly their tone and maybe how would they sound through my triple recto, if they would be a kickass match.
Second thing is fretwork and fretboard comformity (I don`t mind wide necks, I have long fingers...I had no problem with 6 string guitars, no problem witch schecter omen 7 neck and no problem with ibanez necks, so that is not an issue)
Now to the guitars themselves I will try to write a summary of what I like about them and what I am searching for.
Let`s write them in order of my interest:
1. Loomis: I really love quite untraditional woods used on this one, I also heard that it`s a really good match with EMGz, I also absolutely dig every Nevermore tone from DHIADW till now so if Loomis chose it to be this way it must nail it no problem, the look of the guitar is absolutely awesome. I think it would be cool addition next to my mahagony K-7 ibanez with low output pickups, something completely different. Maybe the only turnout is that I heard it`s freaking heavy.
2. Hellraiser 8, Blackjack 8: I put these two together because the only difference seems to be the pickups, ebony fretboard on atx and finish. I like finish of both so the main deciding point is pickups and maybe weight. I would like a lighter one. I heard that dimarzios blackouts on blackjack are meanier sounding. But on the other hand everytime I heard emgz I liked them. Also I have to note that I am not a djent player, so the low F# will be used differently, most probably on some low groove. So these two have 50/50 chances, but Hellraiser has a little small bit of more sympathies from me.
3. Damien 8: Seems like the Hellraiser to me. Differences are bolt on neck and most probably fretwork will be worse. But is the Hellraiser really 400 euro better?
I`m going for really pissed off hi-gain tone this time with thunderous punchy palm mutes. something Nevermore-ish really.
So that`s it. I`d be happy if anyone could share their opinion, or personal experiencies or the best comparisons of the actual models and help me choose. I really am not settled on which one to choose and some opinions may completely change my "most sympathies list". I woudn`t bother you guys, because I know that best way would be sit and try every model one after another and choose the one that fits me the best, but as I live in a craphole like Slovakia there`s no place where I could possibly try one of these guitars...not a single one of them I think. So if anyone will volunteer I will appreciate it :hbang:

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
1. The Loomis really isn't that heavey, my RG7321 weighs more than one, so no worries there.

2. See if you can try different guitars with either 707's or Blackouts so you can get a rough idea what the sound is like, and then decide which you like the sound of best. Also its Seymour Duncan that makes Blackouts not Dimarzio.

3. Also a great guitar, the main difference between it and the Hellraiser is that the Damien has a maple neck and the Hellraiser is mahogany, however on a bolt on guitar that isn't going to immact your tone too much.

Overall it really depends if you want another 7 or an 8. Personally I'd go for an 8 since you already have an incredibly fucking awesome 7 :lol:
Also keep in mind that if you don't like the sound of the stock pup's you can always change them down the road :agreed:

emperor_black

Reaction score
Considering

BC Rich Mark Rizzo VS Ibanez XPT707 (neck-wise)

I've played lot of Ibanez's and while I do think Wizard II necks are a bit too thin, I've never played any BC rich guitar except for probably some low-end BC rich in a guitar center. If the neck profile on the Rizzo is somewhat similar to my Schecter blackjack, I'd be sold on that one. :)

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
I found a used EBMM JP7 at a shop here which costs like around $2000, and I'm contemplating to buy it. The catch is that it seems to be a special order model without the piezo and it has normal inlays.

I'm also thinking to get a new RG1527RB (with the Edge Pro) which costs like around $1200 after changing the pickups to the LF/CL set. How does the RG compare with the JP7 after the pickup change? Is the JP7 really worth $800 more?

I tried both and I'm okay with how both feels and plays. Can anyone drop some advice or opinions? Thanks

Varjo

ss.org frenulum
Reaction score
If they both feel fine, I'd pick the RG1527. Of course if money isn't that big an issue, the JP7's quality is always better, but - do you really need that quality difference for 800 bucks? It's alot of money. The RG1527 is a solid piece anyhow.

Personally, if I'd find them both good to play, I'd propably think about their visual style, which one suits me better, and if I would still be inclined to the Jp7, I'd think if the aestethics are really worth the 800 bucks.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
2000 is a little too much for no inlays/no piezo, but if it's MD finish(big up charge) its a "kinda" fair price.
Mine JP7 was 2200 with everything except inlays in MD finish.

Both guitars will sound similar if you put the dimarzios in the rg7 so the real question comes down to whether you like the JP7 enough to justify spending 800 more.

I personally would look around for another JP7, as i think you could find lower prices.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Theres some White jp7s for around 1600usd on eBay right now, no shield inlays or piezo.