Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
You wont be happy with that JP7 long term if its so stripped down... however youre getting the full package with the RG1527. Plus you can buy another guitar with the 800 :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nealios

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm kinda new to seven strings and I've been playing an Ibanez six string for almost 4 years now. So, as the title implies, I'm stuck between the Schecter Damien Elite 7 and the LTD MH-417. I play mostly metal and progressive stuff.

I was able to get my hands on the Damien at a local guitar center and it was pretty solid. The neck felt a little fat for my preference but nothing i cant get used too. It was loaded with active EMGs and sounded terrific. On the other hand, i couldn't find the MH-417 anywhere so i can't really sit down and play it. It is also loaded with active EMGs. Wood wise, both have mahogany bodies, maple necks, and rosewood fretboards. Both also have TOM bridges and Grover tuners. The main differences between these two are

Damien 7 Elite

1. 26.5" Scale
  2. Bolt-On construction
MH-417

1. 25.5" Scale
  2. Neck-thru construction

What do you guys think? Also, how are ESP necks compared to Schecters?
I am also open to other guitar suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!!

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm kinda new to seven strings and I've been playing an Ibanez six string for almost 4 years now. So, as the title implies, I'm stuck between the Schecter Damien Elite 7 and the LTD MH-417. I play mostly metal and progressive stuff.

I was able to get my hands on the Damien at a local guitar center and it was pretty solid. The neck felt a little fat for my preference but nothing i cant get used too. It was loaded with active EMGs and sounded terrific. On the other hand, i couldn't find the MH-417 anywhere so i can't really sit down and play it. It is also loaded with active EMGs. Wood wise, both have mahogany bodies, maple necks, and rosewood fretboards. Both also have TOM bridges and Grover tuners. The main differences between these two are

Damien 7 Elite

1. 26.5" Scale
  2. Bolt-On construction
MH-417

1. 25.5" Scale
  2. Neck-thru construction

What do you guys think? Also, how are ESP necks compared to Schecters?
I am also open to other guitar suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!!

Idk what to say about ESP necks, but as for bolt-on vs. neck-thru, they can both be good. People tend to think of bolt-ons as being lower quality because that's what entry level guitars have. The Ibanez RG1527 (just for example) is a bolt-on, and it's an outstanding guitar. What's common in the music industry is that you get what you pay for, sometimes better (like my $270 bass with a bolt-on neck), sometimes worse (like Behringer products).
The 26.5" neck is plus on that Schecter.
Welcome to the forum! My name happens to be Neal!

Nealios

Reaction score
Thanks man. I did a lot of "research" stuff on sevens after i posted this. I think I might just end up on getting an Agile Interceptor Pro 727. It's loaded w/EMG 707s, it has a Floyd rose, and its a 27" scale guitar. It might take while for me to get used to but I'm fine with that. Thanks for your reply Zebov.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
alright max i got one for you

im looking into these right here

ESP Standard Eclipse II Guitar | ESP Electric Guitars at zZounds

or

Gibson Les Paul Standard Guitar at zZounds

or

Gibson Les Paul Studio Guitar at zZounds

im sure u can see im looking into getting a les paul but with the "hit or miss bull shit" gibsons been doing im not sure if i shoul go with the gibson. id love to get a 59 reissue but if the build ends up being shit, fuck that.

maybe u can school me on gibson a lil with your first hand experience. i personally think gibsons kick ass but from what ive been reading their quality control is shit. if thats tru, do u think im better off with the esp?

i'll be going on a "GAS" shopping spree soon cuz a landed a pretty good job so cash is no issue.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look into picking up a Heritage H150. They are easily some of the best LP style guitars I've ever laid my hands on. You can find them for $1800 (sometimes less) and will easily be on par with, or better than all three guitars you've listed (along with most other LP-style guitars).

Heritage Guitar, Inc. of Kalamazoo - Solid Body Guitars - H 150

Heritage itself is, to some, the "real" Gibson. Heritage was started up by a group of Gibson employees in 80's. The factory they make the guitars at (including a lot of the original machinery) is the original Kalamazoo factory that some of the best Gibson guitars ever made were built at.

Heritage Guitar Inc. of Kalamazoo - The History of Heritage Guitar, Inc. of Kalamazoo

Of the three you've chosen, I'd lean towards the ESP. That being said, the LP Standard is an amazing guitar if you find a "good one". You simply can't beat the feel of the binding on the fret ends, it's both unique and awesome.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This:
Peavey.com

Vs.

This:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/cart/cart.php

^I wish there was a picture pf that. The best anyone can do is to go through this: BUILD YOUR XB76
to have an idea of what it looks like.

If you need 24 frets, then the Peavey wins. Though, besides that, the Cirrus series are some phenomenal basses for the money. The stock electronics are actually pretty darn good.

Though, if you don't mine he lack of 24 frets, then the Carvin would be the way to go. The amount of available options alone guarantee the bass will be better tailored to you as a player.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
If you need 24 frets, then the Peavey wins. Though, besides that, the Cirrus series are some phenomenal basses for the money. The stock electronics are actually pretty darn good.

Though, if you don't mine he lack of 24 frets, then the Carvin would be the way to go. The amount of available options alone guarantee the bass will be better tailored to you as a player.

Honestly, how often does a bass player use the 24th fret on a 6 string bass? I only need to reach the 23rd on my 5 string for just one song, and that's only because I never change my tuning from ADGCF and use a capo for higher keys.
I'll own both of those basses someday. I just want to decide which should come first.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, how often does a bass player use the 24th fret on a 6 string bass?

As someone who doubles guitar parts with bass parts, including leads, I use it fairly often. The same goes for tapping, as having a full two octaves is key to certain harmonies.

Though, I see where you're coming from. :yesway:

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
As someone who doubles guitar parts with bass parts, including leads, I use it fairly often. The same goes for tapping, as having a full two octaves is key to certain harmonies.

Though, I see where you're coming from. :yesway:

I THINK I see where I'm coming from.
Flaw is a major influence in what I do and is pretty much why I'm eventually moving to 6 strings. It's kind of a pain to reach the 23rd fret on my 5 string, so with me being the lazy person I am, I want to make it easier.
Is that where you saw me coming from? :scratch:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I simply understand why one would not often use the 23rd or 24th fret on a 6-string bass, thus it would be a non-issue in deciding what instrument to choose. :shrug:

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Musicman guitars are quite expensive here in Japan... so it's kinda hard to get anything cheaper than $2000 used.

Btw, will the EBMM sound the same or at least similar with an RG1527 with CL/LFs in it, given the woods used are the same? I'm trying to get close to the Petrucci sound with it. Using a lowly Line 6 PodxT tho :p

Kstring

SCHECTER
Reaction score
ok guys i need you help. I will have a considerable amount of money coming my way by christmas time, and i want another sixer. I was looking at Vs mainly, like jackson,bc rich. Now heres my problem, should i keep the money and save to get a custom or get the guitar now. Oh and specks:

neck: has to be medium to thick, no ibbys
wood: i would love mahogany
joint: bolt on or set neck, really doesn't matter
7-6: i think im happy with my current 7s but you know a 7 has a 6 built in

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
ok guys i need you help. I will have a considerable amount of money coming my way by christmas time, and i want another sixer. I was looking at Vs mainly, like jackson,bc rich. Now heres my problem, should i keep the money and save to get a custom or get the guitar now. Oh and specks:

neck: has to be medium to thick, no ibbys
wood: i would love mahogany
joint: bolt on or set neck, really doesn't matter
7-6: i think im happy with my current 7s but you know a 7 has a 6 built in

the best advice i've ever received is to hold on to your cash until you *know* what you want. So when in doubt, wait and save the cash. :yesway: