• Total voters

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
Okay, I am now in trouble with three guitars:

An UV777BK 2006 in $1500
RG1527 in $800
and finally an Apex1 Custom in $1400

I am more inclined to the Apex since it looks killer to me, however, never played one before... The UV777 I tried slays and is super comfy, the RG1527 is pretty good as well!

However, the Apex, hmm, is just so tasty...

Is there anything I may take in consideration before making a choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning to by my first 7 string guitar. This will also be my second guitar. My first guitar was the ibanez GSA60. I've been playing it for 7 years now.

I created a thread earlier about whether I should go for the RGD7320 or the RG827 premium. I was advised to go for the premium as the RGD will have comparatively poorer craftsmanship.

But I have a feeling the RG827 isnt worth the £700 pounds. It doesnt even have decent pickups. I'm looking at Schecters now.

It would be great if someone who has experience with both ibanez RGs and schecter hellraiser(or loomis 7) answer some questions I have:

Keep in mind, I want a guitar which is great at shredding and sweep picking. Aimed for technical death metal stuff. I know this sounds kinda stupid, I mean I could shred on either guitar, but some are better than others..you know what I mean. Thats why its best people who own both an ibanez and a schecter answer this.

As far as the neck is concerned, how does the RG827 compare with the c-7 Hellraiser? or the loomis 7?

If I were to replace the pickups(e.g DiMarzios) on the RG827, would it be superior for leads?

Thankyou

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
Is the apex and its tastiness worth more than the comfyness, apologies for the misspelling, of the UV777

Well, since I have not played the Apex yet, I am asking about it! So, if you have played one or someone here has played both, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Machva

White Pony
Reaction score
i'm actually an ibanez fan but i think for the price schecters are best !

go with hellraiser 7 or damien elite 7 loomis is also great guitar but i prefer darker fretboards

for the price they have great quality

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
I own a Loomis and an RG827 and they are far too different to really compare with any real conclusive results. Go play both and buy whichever you prefer.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Both guitars are very different playability(neck, frets etc) and tonality wise.

As long as the strings are fresh and the neck/fretboard is clean I've never felt any speed increases in my playing when using my Ibanez or hellraiser. Both of those guitars are more than capable for tech death.

klinic

Reaction score
Necks are wildly different, and the hell raisers pickups are nothing to get excited about. Maybe they'd be okay for tech death, but I just couldn't stand them. Ibanez necks feel a lot better to me.

feilong29

Reaction score
I loved my Hellraiser C-7! I'm not an active pickup guy, but they really did the Hellraiser justice. Playability, sweep picking was easy on the Hellraiser C-7, and my leads were clear. I actually want another one, wish I didn't sell my old one, and, ya! The Loomis is based off the Hellraiser, but, I'm sure with the difference in woods it may sound a bit different. Look up Paul Wardingham on youtube. He recorded most of his Assimilate to Regenerate album with his Jeff Loomis 7. Threat Signal are sponsored by Schecter and exclusively use Hellraiser C-7s, and I heard them live a month ago; needless to say, the Hellraisers still sounded bad ass. You can find Hellraisers cheap on guitarcenter.com in the used section, but are worth every penny. Just my two cents.

TBzington

Reaction score
My problem was apparently serious enough for me to finally join the forum.
Sorry for interrupting the previous post, as well as not being able to focus enough to give any help.

Finally decided to take the leap and purchase my first 8-string, but all of the choices have somewhat overwhelmed me; well, that, and my reservations about purchasing the Agile guitar I really like. I've done a good bit of research on a few guitars, but it all feels in vain as I'm back to square one. As much as I'd love to be able to spring for an RG2228, I haven't found a used one cheap enough for my price range.

I've got about a grand to spend, and absolutely love the more expensive Interceptor 828's, but the neck sort of scares me. Anyone absolutely love the neck? More importantly, how does it compare to the Wizard necks? I've received a lot of conflicting information.

Basically, I'm down to

RGA8
Interceptor Pro 828 w/EMG
Or even the SC608

Long story short....help? :/

Reaction score
I own a Loomis and an RG827 and they are far too different to really compare with any real conclusive results. Go play both and buy whichever you prefer.

I wish I could do that, neither of the two is available in any of the big guitar stores in my city. The only seven string I could test was the RDG.

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
Loomis has so much better natural voice! Hardtail sound's really good and overall its a great instrument!

rx

Reaction score
i'd go with the loomis, but only because of the contruction method

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
My problem was apparently serious enough for me to finally join the forum.
Sorry for interrupting the previous post, as well as not being able to focus enough to give any help.

Finally decided to take the leap and purchase my first 8-string, but all of the choices have somewhat overwhelmed me; well, that, and my reservations about purchasing the Agile guitar I really like. I've done a good bit of research on a few guitars, but it all feels in vain as I'm back to square one. As much as I'd love to be able to spring for an RG2228, I haven't found a used one cheap enough for my price range.

I've got about a grand to spend, and absolutely love the more expensive Interceptor 828's, but the neck sort of scares me. Anyone absolutely love the neck? More importantly, how does it compare to the Wizard necks? I've received a lot of conflicting information.

Basically, I'm down to

RGA8
Interceptor Pro 828 w/EMG
Or even the SC608

Long story short....help? :/

Well i own a Interceptor pro. Never played any other 8 strings, but i must say that it is the best neck i've ever tried. Its better than any of my Ibanezes. Since it is the necktrough model is super easy to get access to the high frets. I really love the neck man, pm me if u have more questions about it :)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that this has been posted here... But its probably deep in the thread so I'll ask anyways. :rofl:

Ibby ARZ307 VS LTD EC-407? Ignore the pickups. They don't matter to me.