Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

soliloquy

Reaction score
This is completely different, and I get that. Its like comparing Apples to a bicycle. Not even close, so just curious what your thoughts are on this:

a NEW LTD ED-401/1000 vs a USED E-II Eclipse VS PRS S2 Singlecut (most likely a standard/satin finish)?
they are roughly coming to the same price, give or take a few hundred.

I do have an edwards, which, may be the best guitar I have. I dont play live, and rarely ever plug in my guitars (couch player, mostly), so pickups make no difference to me. Dont care if its 22 or 24 frets. Dont really care if the tuners are locking or not. for roughly $900-$1600ish, all three guitars are around the same price range, with the PRS s2 probably being the cheapest.

I totally admit that this is a 100% aesthetics thing. I want a white singlecut with an ebony board, similar to a les paul custom. Not really happy with what Epiphone has to offer. Have considered a Jackson Monarkh, but the few I've played, I wasn't too blown away with them.

Have only played a few LTD ec-1000's, 400s, and 256s many years ago (maybe around 2010 or 2012? they aren't too common where I live. Have played 2 S2s and thought they were fun. NEVER played an ESP. I'm guessing that my Edwards is between the LTD and ESP?

I do prefer chunky necks though.

Possibly open for other guitars, if they have certain specs I'm looking for.

any input in this would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thorshammer1980

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying either a Schecter C7 Apocalypse or a C1 Hellraiser 30'' scale. I'm not that great at soloing but I'm a hell of a death metal rhythm guitarist (also play bass). So, I'm not sure if I really need the extra string on the 7, or just go with the 30" scale 6 string so I can play in B standard and Drop A.

binz

Reaction score
You don't need 30" to play A or B standard (or are we talking about bass guitar B (5 string standard)?) folks do that on standard 25.5", I guess 26.5" could be more comfortable tension wise

Thorshammer1980

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You don't need 30" to play A or B standard (or are we talking about bass guitar B (5 string standard)?) folks do that on standard 25.5", I guess 26.5" could be more comfortable tension wise

Yes. I know I don't need a 30" scale to play B and Drop A. I play in both tunings on my main 6 string guitar, but I prefer a lighter gauge string. say a .56 or a .58, so having a longer scale I think would have better tension on my low B/A string? Honestly, I really just want to buy the C7 Apocalypse because its fucking sexy as hell. But, I thought I run this question by some people first.

Restarted

Reaction score
B or A tuning is way too high for a 30" scale. 25.5 is good for B. 30 is pushing it too far. What would you use for the high E? A 0.008 would have around 16lbs of tension, and on a string this tiny, it will break so easy.
I use 60 for B and 64 for A on a 26.5" scale. Strings aren't huge, and tension is good. You can go thinner if you pick lighter

Thorshammer1980

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A 0.008 would have around 16lbs of tension, and on a string this tiny, it will break so easy.

I normally use .10 on the high E. But you have a good point. That was something I didn't think about. I'm going to go with the 26.5 scale C7 Apocalypse. I've been mulling it over since I posted this and I really want that C7. Thanks for the input.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Schecter C-7 MS SLS Elite (natural) VS Schecter KM-7 Mk III Hybrid (Telesto Gray)

I havent really bought any gear in over 10 years. Not sure what the common knowledge is about things these days, so keep that in mind. The multi scale, the Fishmans, and the expensive Korean guitars, are a new thing to me. Also who the heck is Keith Merrow?

Features I like:
  • Active pickups
  • neck thru
  • superstrat
  • Extended scale length
  • Stainless steel frets
  • Pickups on both of these are "standard", so I can swap out them out for other standard pickups for each of these guitars. No weird offset pickups.
Features I dont like:
  • Whats with the strap button on the back of the horn for the KM-7? Seems like it would promote neck heaviness and imbalance, and seems like it would just be annoying just to have the guitar strapped on. Can anyone verify that this is a non-issue?
  • Would prefer more interesting colors. I love the black cherry schecters.
  • How good are Korean guitars these days? I havent bought a guitar in over 10 years.
  • How do Fishman pickups compare to EMG 81's? I LOVE EMG-81's for my metal tones. I know some guys hate them, but they're definitely my jam. Not sure how Fishman Fluence pickups, or how EMG 808s or 707's compare to 81's. I may be a Fishman convert, but I was curious what the other EMG 81 lovers thought of Fishmans.
  • What is the resale value of these relative to each other? Seems like the KM-7's are worth nothing used (Several on reverb for $500+ less than new), and the MS SLS Elite doesn't really turn up often, so I cant figure out what they're worth. This only matters since I've never owned a 7, hard to tell if it's just going to be a phase or not. And who knows how I feel about the multi scale. It's not a big spread, and people say its easy to adjust, but honestly Im just not going into a guitar store during a pandemic to demo guitars.

Currently my everyday setup is an Ibanez RG3120 with EMG's into a Peavey 5150 (FJA modded if those are well known around here) and I absolutely love the tone of the EMG 81. I've tried an 85, 60, and a Duncan blackout and a few different Duncans I dont remember. I always go back to the EMG 81. The chug is absolutely crushing. However, trying to get my two RG's to sound good in B-standard has always been a challenge. I just never really find a happy balance between tone, string gauge, and tension. It always ends up in C-standard or Db. Thats why Im excited to try an extended scale length.

I play music

Reaction score
Schecter C-7 MS SLS Elite (natural) VS Schecter KM-7 Mk III Hybrid (Telesto Gray)

I havent really bought any gear in over 10 years. Not sure what the common knowledge is about things these days, so keep that in mind. The multi scale, the Fishmans, and the expensive Korean guitars, are a new thing to me. Also who the heck is Keith Merrow?

Features I like:
  • Active pickups
  • neck thru
  • superstrat
  • Extended scale length
  • Stainless steel frets
  • Pickups on both of these are "standard", so I can swap out them out for other standard pickups for each of these guitars. No weird offset pickups.
Features I dont like:
  • Whats with the strap button on the back of the horn for the KM-7? Seems like it would promote neck heaviness and imbalance, and seems like it would just be annoying just to have the guitar strapped on. Can anyone verify that this is a non-issue?
  • How good are Korean guitars these days? I havent bought a guitar in over 10 years.
  • How do Fishman pickups compare to EMG 81's? I LOVE EMG-81's for my metal tones. I know some guys hate them, but they're definitely my jam. Not sure how Fishman Fluence pickups, or how EMG 808s or 707's compare to 81's. I may be a Fishman convert, but I was curious what the other EMG 81 lovers thought of Fishmans.
  • What is the resale value of these relative to each other? Seems like the KM-7's are worth nothing used (Several on reverb for $500+ less than new), and the MS SLS Elite doesn't really turn up often, so I cant figure out what they're worth. This only matters since I've never owned a 7, hard to tell if it's just going to be a phase or not. And who knows how I feel about the multi scale. It's not a big spread, and people say its easy to adjust, but honestly Im just not going into a guitar store during a pandemic to demo guitars.

Currently my everyday setup is an Ibanez RG3120 with EMG's into a Peavey 5150 (FJA modded if those are well known around here) and I absolutely love the tone of the EMG 81. I've tried an 85, 60, and a Duncan blackout and a few different Duncans I dont remember. I always go back to the EMG 81. The chug is absolutely crushing. However, trying to get my two RG's to sound good in B-standard has always been a challenge. I just never really find a happy balance between tone, string gauge, and tension. It always ends up in C-standard or Db. Thats why Im excited to try an extended scale length.
I'd go Schecter C-7 MS SLS Elite because multiscale, strap button at normal place, no stupid Ernie Ball nut, prefer the look.

MaritimeNewt

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Schechter Damien 8 VS Agile Chiral Nirvana 82528 EB Mod SS

I put up another thread which got me some recommendations, and I've been alerted to the existence of Agile guitars. I'm now stuck between these two, as the Schecter is a brand I've played before and liked, while also being 150$ cheaper, but the agile has Fishman Fluence pickups, which I know are supposed to be some of the best 8-string pickups around. As for the difference between fanned and standard frets, I like to play a lot of bars, which I've heard can be difficult with fanned frets, so I'm not taking that part into as much consideration as the pickups and overall tuning stability.

Teh_Je5ter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey folks!

Gonna treat myself to my first 8 string guitar! I'm looking at a Jackson SLATX8Q MS vs an Ibanez RGMS8BK.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ended up getting a Schecter C-7 SLS Elite. Demo model in the gray fade color at sweetwater caught my attention. No regrets. Do kinda wonder about the multi scale thing, though.

Features I like:
  • Active pickups
  • neck thru
  • superstrat
  • Extended scale length
  • Stainless steel frets
Features I dont like:

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When I was researching multi-scale, there was a lot of whinging about the parallel frets on the Ibanez being at the 12th fret. Apparently it's a lot better to have the parallel fret in the 7-10 range. Keeps chords at the bottom from being too weird and some other things. I couldnt tell you why, but I saw that a lot. Schecters have the parallel frets in the "right place". The Jackson did as well if I recall.

Hey folks!

Gonna treat myself to my first 8 string guitar! I'm looking at a Jackson SLATX8Q MS vs an Ibanez RGMS8BK.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting one of the PRS SE Mira guitars as I can see one on sale pretty cheap. I do see a few of the older S2 models still for sale though and wonder if anyone has played both and comment on the quality difference. I played the S2 Mira years ago and was very impressed but haven't tried the 2020 SE model for obvious reasons. For reference the S2 B-stock model I can see is £900 and the SE clearance model is £450.

IAO

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was mostly set on getting an Ibanez RG2027XL (if anyone ever stocks one again).

But the new ESP E-II M-II 7B is really tempting.

I was looking to spend around $2K USD, and the ESP is a bit of a stretch beyond that. I could swing the cash for the Ibanez at the moment; the ESP would have me putting off getting a re-fret on my old ‘94 Strat for another year or so (but what’s another year when it’s gone this long?).

I am much more familiar with Ibanez than I am with ESPs. I’ve never owned either, but I’ve only held an ESP for a couple of minutes. I know that I feel comfortable with most wizard necks, but I’ve never really played a 7-string Ibanez either.

I’m not a big trem guy. They don’t bother me, but I tend to like the feel of fixed bridges slightly more (with TOMs being my preference). I’m fairly adaptable though. I like the idea of an Evertune, but I’ve never had one under my hands.

I like the DTB color on the Ibanez, but I really frigging love the Granite sparkle finish in the ESP.

Neither one has stainless frets, which would be my preference. Luminlays would be nice, but it’s not like I’m playing darkened stages these days.

I know I want a 7 (don’t have one) and at least 27” scale (currently have a 26.75” baritone that I struggle to get into drop A without issue— it gets buzzy and just sloppy feeling even with a 68 on the low string.)

I’ve always wanted a quality MIJ guitar.

I like bolt ons, hate set necks, never really tried a neck-through like the ESP.

I like passive pickups and the switching scheme on the Ibanez. I think the Fusion Edges sound pretty good in the 2027XL but they sound like crap in other guitars (RGDs). I almost always go for a single coil sound in the neck/mid position, and then go full bridge humbucker for higher gain stuff.

I don’t really have experience with Fluence Moderns. They sound ok in demos for high gain, but I’m not sure if they can do a clean sound as well as the passive pickups and the 5 way Ibanez switching.

I’m still sort of leaning to the XL, but if the ESP is a significant step up in quality, I could swing it. And I really love that granite sparkle, dammit.

This guitar is basically going to be a 40th birthday present to myself in a few months. I want to get it right and curb the GAS (I’ve got enough digestive issues now that I’m getting old as shit).

Any advice is appreciated.
p_region_RG2027XL_DTB_00_01.png

original.png

Last edited:

I play music

Reaction score
I was mostly set on getting an Ibanez RG2027XL (if anyone ever stocks one again).

I was looking to spend around $2K USD, and the ESP is a bit of a stretch beyond that. I could swing the cash for the Ibanez at the moment; the ESP would have me putting off getting a re-fret on my old ‘94 Strat for another year or so (but what’s another year when it’s gone this long?).

I am much more familiar with Ibanez than I am with ESPs. I’ve never owned either, but I’ve only held an ESP for a couple of minutes. I know that I feel comfortable with most wizard necks, but I’ve never really played a 7-string Ibanez either.

I’m not a big trem guy. They don’t bother me, but I tend to like the feel of fixed bridges slightly more (with TOMs being my preference). I’m fairly adaptable though. I like the idea of an Evertune, but I’ve never had one under my hands.

I like the DTB color on the Ibanez, but I really frigging love the Granite sparkle finish in the ESP.

Neither one has stainless frets, which would be my preference. Luminlays would be nice, but it’s not like I’m playing darkened stages these days.

I know I want a 7 (don’t have one) and at least 27” scale (currently have a 26.75” baritone that I struggle to get into drop A without issue— it gets buzzy and just sloppy feeling even with a 68 on the low string.)

I like bolt ons, hate set necks, never really tried a neck-through like the ESP.

I like passive pickups and the switching scheme on the Ibanez. I think the Fusion Edges sound pretty good in the 2027XL but they sound like crap in other guitars (RGDs). I almost always go for a single coil sound in the neck/mid position, and then go full bridge humbucker for higher gain stuff.

I don’t really have experience with Fluence Moderns. They sound ok in demos for high gain, but I’m not sure if they can do a clean sound as well as the passive pickups and the 5 way Ibanez switching.

I’m still sort of leaning to the XL, but if the ESP is a significant step up in quality, I could swing it. And I really love that granite sparkle, dammit.

This guitar is basically going to be a 40th birthday present to myself in a few months. I want to get it right and curb the GAS (I’ve got enough digestive issues now that I’m getting old as shit).

original.png
If you're looking at ESP, look at this maybe:
ltd-m7arc-1.png

Otherwise I wouldn't buy an Evertune without trying one before. Feels akward to me.

Reactions: IAO

nightlight

Reaction score

original.png

I think the Ibanez and ESP necks are close enough that you won't have an issue, though a LTD I had was a bit rounder.

I'd say your choice really boils down to your choice of bridge here. The Floyd Rose and the Evertune are really different.

Good luck on the hunt, I love buying guitars for birthdays (my own)!

Reactions: IAO

IAO

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the Ibanez and ESP necks are close enough that you won't have an issue, though a LTD I had was a bit rounder.

I'd say your choice really boils down to your choice of bridge here. The Floyd Rose and the Evertune are really different.

Good luck on the hunt, I love buying guitars for birthdays (my own)!

Thanks! After going back and forth between something 27" and something 26.5" (but "shreddier" than my current baritone) I bit the bullet and decided to put in an order for an Aristides (my wife talked me into it). I really just wanted a simple hardtail, something like a hipshot. And stainless frets. And nothing muddying up the fretboard. And passive pickups. And luminlays. Once I managed to justify the price of the ESP, it wasn't much of a jump for an 070r with the exact specs I'd want. Fortunately for my wallet, my "customized" taste list is pretty close to bog standard for Aristides builds.

I played around with some Aristides at NAMM pre-pandemic, so I'm not going in totally blind, which helps.

(TL;DR: my wife talked me into it)

Chabo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jackson SLAT8Q vs Ibanez RGIM8MH

These are both multiscale, but the Jackson is way cheaper,. YET the Jackson has neckthru where as the Ibanez is bolt on (& Jackson is not wired for actives). I would think the Jackson superior but the Ibby price point makes me wonder if they'd really more valuable.