Tonex One leaked?

• Thread starter aWoodenShip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Seems really hard to control with no MIDI. I sorta don’t like this trend of having pedals with complex functionality, but also think it’s a good idea to have no screens or reasonable way to adjust them.

Sure the normal pedal knobs make it something a guitar player can understand, but it’s a pretty shitty interface. “Ya see when the ring turns blue that means you are adjusting bass, when it’s yellow that is your noise gate.”
I have always had a stance that I refuse to buy units that could not be adjusted without an editor.

This stuff will be paperweights in 5 years when the software is no longer supported.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have always had a stance that I refuse to buy units that could not be adjusted without an editor.

This stuff will be paperweights in 5 years when the software is no longer supported.
A single Tubescreamer clone or preamp pedal will sell for sometimes $299 or more. The tonex one can profile two/three of them and if you were stuck with those profiles "forever" that is still a better deal. You also get a bundled in Tuner.

I do agree needing some software to load new stuff is annoying, but at this price I don't think that will stop many people from buying. People buy $1800 cell phones that will be paperweights in 5 years as well.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
If they would've made it the size of a Boss pedal with at least 1/8 TRS midi I'd be on board. But I'm just gonna grab a used ToneX Pedal or get a Zzounds payment deal when my interface is paid down. It's impressive if you're only switching it or using it for mid gain then pouring on the boost for heavy. More options are good, but this one not for me.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
This seems to be basically what people have been asking for, for years.... a teeny tiny modeler / profiler.

Which reminds me, I am surprised you dont hear more about the Mooer preamp pedals these days.
I recently picked up the Tonex and after comparing it to my Mooer Preamp Live,I honestly like the Tonex more. It could be because the Tonex has more 'tone shaping' options, I don't know but even though I do still really like the Mooer, it's now the 'backup unit'.
That aside, I'd still rather have the full Tonex unit vs the new small one just because (much like the PAL that I have) with the small one, there's no display to tell you what amp sim is currently loaded and you just kind of have to remember which ones you saved in which memory slots.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I think this is a great direction for ToneX & IK Multimedia. The price is ridiculously good for everything you can do with it. You get a pedal that can be an interface to record or be used as a pedal or an amp rig. Honestly, I was about to order it until I found that it only does 44.1Khz and all my stuff is in 48Khz these days. If I were using it for a backup or main rig for DI-ing or playing through a poweramp then I would grab it anyways, but since I just record these days the 44.1Khz killed it for me.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, teenage guitarists these days are truly blessed.

This toy makes me wish any of my nephews played guitar 😅

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score

I mean, you can still run MS DOS games on modern windows PC’s. Why do you think you won’t be able to run a simple piece of software for a piece of guitar gear?

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, you can still run MS DOS games on modern windows PC’s. Why do you think you won’t be able to run a simple piece of software for a piece of guitar gear?
I suspect that you will always be able to launch the Tonex amp. The question is how functional is the app when the Tone.net servers are offline? As long as you can save your profiles to files on your hard drive and the app still works you should be able to program this pedal indefinitely.

Shask

Reaction score
Tell that to my rack units that haven't had working editors since Windows 95, lol.

There have been several guitar and synth software that has been killed over the years that no longer work on modern Windows.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
You're not going to care about tonex in 5 years. My Zoom pedal still works. I don't care that it does. It's been technologically completely superseded by other things.

Shask

Reaction score
A single Tubescreamer clone or preamp pedal will sell for sometimes $299 or more. The tonex one can profile two/three of them and if you were stuck with those profiles "forever" that is still a better deal. You also get a bundled in Tuner.

I do agree needing some software to load new stuff is annoying, but at this price I don't think that will stop many people from buying. People buy $1800 cell phones that will be paperweights in 5 years as well.
Oh, they will sell a ton of these. It is a very cool unit. I am just personally leery of units that depend on other technology. How many people still have sounds loaded into those Digitech IStomp pedals you can't load into anymore?

Yeah, but many people are dumb and keep themselves trapped in the consumerism circle where they voluntarily agree to chain themselves to debt their entire lives.

Shask

Reaction score
You're not going to care about tonex in 5 years. My Zoom pedal still works. I don't care that it does. It's been technologically completely superseded by other things.
I have rack units that are nearly 40 years old that I still use. Anything good will still be worth using years from now, as long as it is not prematurely obsoleted.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I have rack units that are nearly 40 years old that I still use. Anything good will still be worth using years from now, as long as it is not prematurely obsoleted.

Is your 40 year old rack unit a profiler?