Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
No guitar with the strap pin on the back of the body is worth owning, I find they put the body at an awkward angle when playing, nor do they balance well

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
No guitar with the strap pin on the back of the body is worth owning, I find they put the body at an awkward angle when playing, nor do they balance well
Dunlop Flushmount straplocks help big time with that.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
There is only one actually good shape from fender and it's the jazzmaster/jaguar.

More comfortable than a strat or tele- check
More ergonomic than either -check
More aesthetic than either- check

nah, it's the katana (jk)
Screenshot_20240402-133307.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Pickup rings make guitars look cheap.

Not enough to deter me, most of the time still.
Especially on guitars with only 1 pickup ring. You all know the one I’m talking about

While we’re at it, reverse headstocks suck ass. Even if they looked cool, which they do not, I’m not tryna contort my whole hand around to get to the tuning pegs.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Pickup rings make guitars look cheap.

Not enough to deter me, most of the time still.
IDK, it doesn't scream "expensive," cause it ain't, but I think this tuxedo aesthetic is pretty darn classy.

423766338_419746087238666_8078962874744741393_n.jpg

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I thought he was gonna complain about gibson at least (which is still A OK in my book) but taking issue with a strat? gtfo lol

If the joint on an LP or strat is inhibiting your playing, you probably need to practice more or work on your technique. I'll give the benefit of the doubt though, maybe those that complain just have tiny hands

"ergonomic" isn't really catch all either. I can't tell you the number of allegedly "ergonomic" products I've used that absolutely are not for me

I have issues getting past the LP neck joint because I keep my guitars at 90’s Hetfield height. :lol:

That’s why when I started practicing singing/playing my originals I decided I was going to use my Solar as my main guitar, I had to move the LP to a different spot on my body to get up past the neck joint for leads and it’s just not sensible while my face is at a mic.

No amount of working on my technique is going to change the heel on the back of the body from protruding into my palm!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
In this demographic, perhaps. I feel like the TGP blues lawyers would feel different.
The hate for pickup rings is higher here for a very simple reason. 6 and 7 string bodies are the same size, but pickups are not. A 6-string pickup with rings is about the same size of a 7-string pickup without. Add rings to a 7 and you get very bulky-looking pickups and everything looks cluttered. And I'll use my own guitar as an example:

20230916-214903.jpg

Without:

20230904-202955.jpg

I hate pickup rings on 7s I'm fine with them on 6s. There's some guitars where rings are an important part of the global aesthetics and manage to work fine on 7's as well (mostly single and doublecuts).

Last edited:

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I have issues getting past the LP neck joint because I keep my guitars at 90’s Hetfield height. :lol:

That’s why when I started practicing singing/playing my originals I decided I was going to use my Solar as my main guitar, I had to move the LP to a different spot on my body to get up past the neck joint for leads and it’s just not sensible while my face is at a mic.

No amount of working on my technique is going to change the heel on the back of the body from protruding into my palm!

Do the Orville and Edwards have different neck joints at all?

I will say if you are looking for an LP style with an incredible "ergonomic" neck joint the prs 594 is hard to beat

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Fender won't do it. The second they try to do it, the anger of a million boomers will rage upon FMIC headquarters

Fender won't do it!

Only competitors like Charvel, Jackson, and EVH have the balls to do it!

They're gonna deSTROY Fender blegh!