US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
They get thrown overboard or something?
AliceinChainsTheDevilPutDinosaursHere.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
$10k fine for violating the gag order. Give me a fucking break. My net worth is in the six figure range. Trump claims to be a billionaire, so ten figures. So, they hit him with a fine proportional to fining me like $1.
First was $5k. I'll be curious if the next is $15k or $20k, and if the judge plans on increasing these linearly or exponentially. But, at some point, they'll also involve contempt of court and jail time, and for now they'll piss Trump off and make him think he can violate the order to his heart's content, so I'm ok with it.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First was $5k. I'll be curious if the next is $15k or $20k, and if the judge plans on increasing these linearly or exponentially. But, at some point, they'll also involve contempt of court and jail time, and for now they'll piss Trump off and make him think he can violate the order to his heart's content, so I'm ok with it.
I mean the judge spoke very heavily about the fact it's a 'life and death' matter and mentioned at least once that contempt and throwing him in jail is an option. Also, when Trump's lawyer tried to use the fact he's campaigning as both an excuse for attacks and an appeal for being an "exceptional case", the judge said "anyone can run for president". So he's make clear he's not particularly impressed by any arguments claiming the rules don't apply to Trump.

I don't think he gets another fine, I think he goes to jail.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I mean the judge spoke very heavily about the fact it's a 'life and death' matter and mentioned at least once that contempt and throwing him in jail is an option. Also, when Trump's lawyer tried to use the fact he's campaigning as both an excuse for attacks and an appeal for being an "exceptional case", the judge said "anyone can run for president". So he's make clear he's not particularly impressed by any arguments claiming the rules don't apply to Trump.

I don't think he gets another fine, I think he goes to jail.
I mean, yeah, I wouldn't hate that either. :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our system was designed to punish poor people.

Trump isn't as wealthy as he says, but he's definitely not poor.

He'll do as he pleases as the system freaks out because every punitive step is built to crush normal folks.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Our system was designed to punish poor people.

Trump isn't as wealthy as he says, but he's definitely not poor.

He'll do as he pleases as the system freaks out because every punitive step is built to crush normal folks.
I'll wager you a beer we either see him in jail, or fleeing the country to evade arrest, before the 2024 election. Settle up over Venmo unless you end up in Boston or I end up in Racine.

I think he's fucked. I think he's fucked for having total, rampant disregard for rule of law and the judiciary finally catching up with him, but if you prefer to see it as he's fucked for breaking too much of the power structure and the powers that be deciding he needs to be eliminated, then whatever; all the MAGA-alternatives seem to be imploding in the primary so it's not like we're under any REAL risk of getting a "Trump, but more effective" candidate.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll wager you a beer we either see him in jail, or fleeing the country to evade arrest, before the 2024 election. Settle up over Venmo unless you end up in Boston or I end up in Racine.

I think he's fucked. I think he's fucked for having total, rampant disregard for rule of law and the judiciary finally catching up with him, but if you prefer to see it as he's fucked for breaking too much of the power structure and the powers that be deciding he needs to be eliminated, then whatever; all the MAGA-alternatives seem to be imploding in the primary so it's not like we're under any REAL risk of getting a "Trump, but more effective" candidate.
Part of this is that, I agree with Max that a system to protect the rich and powerful exists *except* when the rest of the rich and powerful turn on their own.

Lot of these guys look bulletproof until they become a liability and they become radioactive (see: Epstein, Weinstein, etc). At this point, Trump's support is on the fringes and even the "powerful" (politicians) that support him only do it because of the Frankenstein's Monster base they've created, which they now openly satiate out of fear.

I don't think the establishment has any interest in protecting Trump.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

If he sees a jail cell I'll give you a pallet of beer. No joke. :lol:

I don't doubt that he'll get found guilty, and I don't doubt that he'd run, but the guy is like 80 and the system is glacial on a good day.

It's not like this is a murder or even assault and battery. It's white collar shit. Rich old white guys don't usually see jail time for this stuff when they're not a former president.

Even if we're some sort of "half way through the process" on any of the cases it's still years to go. Heck, the first criminal trial isn't even scheduled to begin until March of next year.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Part of me thinks he'll take a plea at the last minute if he's facing any jail time, and the gov will let him serve no jail time in exchange for guilty please (especially in the election case since that will bar him from office for trying to overthrow the government)

I doubt he'll serve any jail time though. They won't let a former President ever set foot in a jail cell.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with Max, jail before the 2024 election seems VERY fast for all the shit involved with him. Guilty verdict? Sure, but I'd put some Mike's Roast Beef on the line if that actually happened.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A rich, white, famous, almost octogenarian who's convicted of a non-violent crime for the first time?

Yeah, I'm thinking a combo of house arrest, probation, community service, promising not to do it again, etc.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking a combo of house arrest, probation, community service, promising not to do it again, etc.
...none of which he will actually do, and I'll see a news article a year or two later "exposing" that fact. People will be up in arms about for half a week until the next Christofascist shoots a bunch of minorities/kids/concert goers and everyone forgets that no justice ever came for Donald Trump.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A rich, white, famous, almost octogenarian who's convicted of a non-violent crime for the first time?

yeah the main goal of this isn't to put him in jail. It's to take away his ability to run for office. Once that's done then they'll call it a day

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jeez you guys are so full of hope! It’s absolutely cute! His supporters — and they are legion — believe these ”legal proceedings” aren’t based on law violations, just political revenge. We’ve become a banana republic thanks to you “dims.” I’ll wager he’s the nominee. Lock him up, I DARE you…

At this point I don’t care if he did anything illegal, it’s all process crime prosecution.