US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Felony convictions don't preclude anyone from running for federal office. :shrug:
the GA election case will put the nail in that coffin. It's all the evidence needed to bar him from office (assuming that secretaries of state, and the supreme court fall in line)

there is a chance that when this colorado case to keep trump off the ballot maaaay be all that's needed. It'll no doubt go to the supreme court, and it's hard to say which way that might go. A couple of the conservative judges sometime surprise me when they do go with the hardliners.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the GA election case will put the nail in that coffin. It's all the evidence needed to bar him from office (assuming that secretaries of state, and the supreme court fall in line)

Yeah, but the election is about a year away and they haven't even gone to trial, and could be rendered moot if moved to federal court.

I think it's more practical to assume that none of these trials will reach the point where they'll stop him from being on the ballot.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not expecting him to be convicted by election day, but I do think the gag orders either become effective and he has to shut up or he's going to jail for contempt. Even if briefly.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Jeez you guys are so full of hope! It’s absolutely cute! His supporters — and they are legion — believe these ”legal proceedings” aren’t based on law violations, just political revenge. We’ve become a banana republic thanks to you “dims.” I’ll wager he’s the nominee. Lock him up, I DARE you…

At this point I don’t care if he did anything illegal, it’s all process crime prosecution.
Last time legion voted, they only managed 46.9%.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Last time legion voted, they only managed 46.9%.
Correction, in 2022 they got 50.6% and took over the House. :ugh: Those blessed lobotomites at 2020 election time may have kicked TFG out before, but it just takes some bullshit "scandals" on the incumbent and thinking that getting pissed on isn't so bad after all, for him to get back into power next year.

narad

Reaction score
Correction, in 2022 they got 50.6% and took over the House. :ugh: Those blessed lobotomites at 2020 election time may have kicked TFG out before, but it just takes some bullshit "scandals" on the incumbent and thinking that getting pissed on isn't so bad after all, for him to get back into power next year.
I don't want to get too serious -- I was mostly just commenting about how dumb it is to refer to anyone as "legion". It was cringey when anonymous did it, and it's not any less cringey now in using it to refer to Trump supporters. It's supposed to read like Leonidas in 300, but it reads more like that fat cheetos guy slouched back at his computer from South Park.

And it's hard to carry any sort of argument over to republicans more generally a different election when Trump isn't even on the ticket.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If he sees a jail cell I'll give you a pallet of beer. No joke. :lol:

I don't doubt that he'll get found guilty, and I don't doubt that he'd run, but the guy is like 80 and the system is glacial on a good day.

It's not like this is a murder or even assault and battery. It's white collar shit. Rich old white guys don't usually see jail time for this stuff when they're not a former president.

Even if we're some sort of "half way through the process" on any of the cases it's still years to go. Heck, the first criminal trial isn't even scheduled to begin until March of next year.
You're on. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jeez you guys are so full of hope! It’s absolutely cute! His supporters — and they are legion — believe these ”legal proceedings” aren’t based on law violations, just political revenge. We’ve become a banana republic thanks to you “dims.” I’ll wager he’s the nominee. Lock him up, I DARE you…

At this point I don’t care if he did anything illegal, it’s all process crime prosecution.
I'm actually kind of counting on Trump being the nominee. :lol:

But, one thing I want to nit-pick here - why this focus on prosecuting Trump for his crimes making the US a "banana republic"? Isn't that sort of... missing the point? The US is one of the very few first-world countries I can think of where political leaders have generally been given a pass (largely thanks to the pardoning of Nixon, who had the good sense to shut up and fade away to obscurity after he resigned and was pardoned). The UK, Italy, France... all have had pretty high profile trials involving high level politicians in recent years. Developed nations, with constitutions based on the rule of law, can and do charge politicians with crimes when they occur.

Meanwhile, "banana republic" is a term for a country with an oligopoly that dominates the economy and is by and large above the law - not trying Trump for breaking the law would make us more like a banana republic, than would holding him accountable for his crimes.

I mean... maybe think about your metaphors a little here. :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
You're on. :lol:

Aside from wanting Max to lose because it'd mean, y'know JUSTICE WAS SERVED and all that for the nation (bit hyperbolic but sue me), I now also want to see Max justify having to send a pallet of beer to ONE MAN and not a company.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’ll throw Max some freight coverage if Trump gets sent to a cell as a result of his convictions and not violating gag orders.

Only because I can see a judge making him spend a night in jail as some half-ass attempt at getting the citizens to believe we’re equal under law/justice is blind, yada yada.

My overall prediction for Trump is a shitload of fines his base will happily cover via donations and they put him on some internet/social media restriction like they do to the kid touchers. Then he’ll just dictate his bullshit to someone running a sock puppet account for him and remain the martyr .

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm actually kind of counting on Trump being the nominee. :lol:

But, one thing I want to nit-pick here - why this focus on prosecuting Trump for his crimes making the US a "banana republic"? Isn't that sort of... missing the point? The US is one of the very few first-world countries I can think of where political leaders have generally been given a pass (largely thanks to the pardoning of Nixon, who had the good sense to shut up and fade away to obscurity after he resigned and was pardoned). The UK, Italy, France... all have had pretty high profile trials involving high level politicians in recent years. Developed nations, with constitutions based on the rule of law, can and do charge politicians with crimes when they occur.

Meanwhile, "banana republic" is a term for a country with an oligopoly that dominates the economy and is by and large above the law - not trying Trump for breaking the law would make us more like a banana republic, than would holding him accountable for his crimes.

I mean... maybe think about your metaphors a little here. :lol:
Because only in a banana republic do opposition parties go after each other in the way Trump is being prosecuted. I don’t have to think about any metaphors — it’s you guys on the left labeling every Trump supporter/conservative a Nazi at every turn, no matter how unsubstantiate.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because all the media, neverTrumpers and left ever did was go 100% batshait insane over his candidacy, election and post-office existence. Badger him until he slipped; he could personally execute someone on his front lawn and 30% of the country would be A-OK with his actions — which is insane, but I digress.

narad

Reaction score
Because all the media, neverTrumpers and left ever did was go 100% batshait insane over his candidacy, election and post-office existence. Badger him until he slipped; he could personally execute someone on his front lawn and 30% of the country would be A-OK with his actions — which is insane, but I digress.

Counterpoint: the left never went so "batshait insane" as to storm the capital in an effort to prevent a peaceful transfer of power and the core principles of democracy.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Counterpoint: the left never went so "batshait insane" as to storm the capital in an effort to prevent a peaceful transfer of power and the core principles of democracy.
Oh please, those were a bunch of disgruntled, unorganized Patriots just venting their frustrations — no different than any of the 2020 “summer gatherings of peace” that preceded it. A “Paul Revere” moment. Remember, in our Constitutional Republic, the powerful must fear the peasantry, not the other way around.

narad

Reaction score
Oh please, those were a bunch of disgruntled, unorganized Patriots just venting their frustrations — no different than any of the 2020 “summer gatherings of peace” that preceded it. A “Paul Revere” moment. Remember, in our Constitutional Republic, the powerful must fear the peasantry, not the other way around.

This has me concerned you're not aware of what Paul Revere did.

Latest posts