US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This has me concerned you're not aware of what Paul Revere did.
Likewise, I am worried you don’t grasp my meaning when I say “a Paul Revere-like moment.” Maybe I should have added the “like” to my comment above…

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
the powerful must fear the peasantry
What a dumb thing to say. The powerful don't fear the peasantry and they never will. Instead, the general public is who gets to live in fear, mostly of people in - or close to - their own "class", if you must look at it that way. They fear the nutjobs who want civil war over misinformation sourced from a cheeto masquerading as a man who's probably just parroting an internet shit-poster. They fear the literal Nazis who have been emboldened to poke their heads back up again. They fear the people harassing them and disrupting the economy for nonsensical made up reasons like "mandates" that often don't actually exist. They fear the ironic overreach of populists. They fear "patriots venting their frustrations" at the wrong people in the least constructive ways.

So, which is more batshit, the people doing the batshit things, or the people who are calling out the bashit things because they're legitimately batshit?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Because only in a banana republic do opposition parties go after each other in the way Trump is being prosecuted. I don’t have to think about any metaphors — it’s you guys on the left labeling every Trump supporter/conservative a Nazi at every turn, no matter how unsubstantiate.
Oh, not EVERY supporter - I don't think I've heard anyone call Giuliani a Nazi, or for all her other flaws Sidney Powell. And Pence was pretty fucking nuts and fundamental christian, but I don't think I've ever really seen him accused of being an actual Nazi.

Now, all of his alt-right and white supremacist supporters, of course... you don[t get all those confederate flags out of nowhere. I'm not saying EVERYONE at the Unite the Right rally or at January 6th was a Nazi... but I'm pretty sure these gusy were:

white-nationalist-rally-charlottesville-violence-16.jpg

640px-Charlottesville_%27Unite_the_Right%27_Rally_%2835780274914%29_crop.jpg

sub-buzz-28214-1609981633-3.jpg

ErFah-VXcAIvZ4R

ErFamgzVoAIaWNu

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What a dumb thing to say. The powerful don't fear the peasantry and they never will. Instead, the general public is who gets to live in fear, mostly of people in - or close to - their own "class", if you must look at it that way. They fear the nutjobs who want civil war over misinformation sourced from a cheeto masquerading as a man who's probably just parroting an internet shit-poster. They fear the literal Nazis who have been emboldened to poke their heads back up again. They fear the people harassing them and disrupting the economy for nonsensical made up reasons like "mandates" that often don't actually exist. They fear the ironic overreach of populists. They fear "patriots venting their frustrations" at the wrong people in the least constructive ways.

So, which is more batshit, the people doing the batshit things, or the people who are calling out the bashit things because they're legitimately batshit?
I really don’t expect a Canuck to understand. Literal Nazi always = scum of the Earth. Always.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I really don’t expect a Canuck to understand.
Or you could try responding to any of the substance of what I said. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "Obviously I don't support literal Nazis" is the lamest cop-out for supporting or tolerating people who are sympathetic to literal Nazis, despite not being one themselves.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Likewise, I am worried you don’t grasp my meaning when I say “a Paul Revere-like moment.” Maybe I should have added the “like” to my comment above…
Missed this earlier - I too am a little confused by what you mean with a "Paul Revere like moment." Trump was getting shitfaced in a bar, heard the British were coming, and got captured and had his horse confiscated while his buddies went on without him to spread the word? :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Missed this earlier - I too am a little confused by what you mean with a "Paul Revere like moment." Trump was getting shitfaced in a bar, heard the British were coming, and got captured and had his horse confiscated while his buddies went on without him to spread the word? :lol:
I believe that was more of a "Sam Adams like moment"

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jeez you guys are so full of hope! It’s absolutely cute! His supporters — and they are legion — believe these ”legal proceedings” aren’t based on law violations, just political revenge. We’ve become a banana republic thanks to you “dims.” I’ll wager he’s the nominee. Lock him up, I DARE you…

At this point I don’t care if he did anything illegal, it’s all process crime prosecution.

To be fair, none of his followers ever did care, so it's not like you're saying anything revolutionary. We know how "dim" his followers are, but thank you for the reminder. :)

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don’t expect a Canadian to be politically motivated like Americans are. You all can compare conservative Repubs to Nazi’s all you want, but we know we have next to nothing in common with those nut bags. Liberals to commies though? Lots in common…

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I don’t expect a Canadian to be politically motivated like Americans are. You all can compare conservative Repubs to Nazi’s all you want, but we know we have next to nothing in common with those nut bags. Liberals to commies though? Lots in common…
I am literally a communist :lol: That's not the insult you think it is, friend. At least when I show up to political events, we don't have to worry about kicking the swastika flag wavers out :lol:

On a separate amazing note, my lovely home state of Ohio voted to protect abortion rights of our women and also voted for the safety and rights of our citizens for recreational marijuana on issues 1 and 2 yesterday, both passing with at least a 10% lead. Fuck yeah! :partyhat:🎉🥳

Last edited:

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do the betting markets say about a Nov. gov't shutdown? The timing is fantastic: how about a gov't shutdown just in time for the family Thanksgiving gathering. Let's talk about congressional disfunction over cranberry sauce!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Haven't been following the betting markets, but this time around Johnson was evidently pretty clear that we were going to have to pass a continuing resolution to buy more time after all the fallout with McCarthy, so I think the GOP is at least in theory on board with a continuing resolution. Whether or not that prevents a shutdown is going to depend pretty hugely on what the CR looks like - if they try to do another partisan hatchet job like Gaetz was trying to force McCarthy into, then it dies in the Senate. If they pass a clean bill and Gaetz et al is satisfied that they at least have a MAGA-aligned speaker now, then I think we avoid one for another month or two at least. We've got 9 days to go so we should get some clarity soon.

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
I was checking the news to get a short break from work, and I came across this video - it is completely unrelated to the discussion above; but this part really hit me, and could not agree more about the current political situation here in US.

.. are we really going to have one ancient lich vs another that's painted orange.. again?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 2.12.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 2.12.06 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Curious what comes out of that, Randy - he seems an... odd contuit, I guess, for Turkey to want to funnel money into US politics, but I'll listen with an open mind.

In other news, Moody's, the last major ratings agency to give the US their highest rating of Aaa, put the Treasury on creditwatch negative last night, for a potentyial downgrade due to rampant political dysfunction. My guess is they're preparing for a shutdown, and will downgrade if we see one lasting longer than an "we needed a show of token resistance to get the stragglers on board" sort of couple days.