VHT Sig:X vs Mark IV?

• Thread starter newfinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Flexibility wise there's no comparison, the VHT Sig:X is exponentially more flexible. Tonewise? That's definitely up to the individual's taste. I like Mark IVs, but I'm a huge VHT fan. I think they make the best amps in the world.

It really depends on specifically the kind of tone and response you're looking for. The Mark IV sounds great, but in terms of metal it's pretty much a one trick pony. It has 'a sound'. You either love it or you don't. The VHT is capable of many diverse tones, you can sculpt almost anything - in terms of both tone and the playability/response of the amp.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I think that anyone remotely interested in the Mark IV should wait until the Mark V comes out, because you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you like the Mark V better, then buy that. If not, buy one of the cheap and plentiful Mark IVs, which will drop in price like a rock when the V comes out.

The original Road Kings routinely go for $1600 on E-bay, and Mesa only made a few small changes to that amp. Imagine the difference in price when a completely redesigned amp comes out.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there actually some real word on the Mark V? I keep waiting for one of those..

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Is there actually some real word on the Mark V? I keep waiting for one of those..

Nothing official yet but lots of talk and miscellaneous quotes from Dealers and Mesa staff to imply that something new is to be released with in a month or two. I think it's not coincidence though that the Mark IV is, apparently, being discontinued.

I have an order placed for a Mark IV but am now rethinking. Mind you, there's no guarantee that I'd even get what I ordered. I had also initially considered a Road King II but, though I haven't had a chance to try one, I'm under the impression that it doesn't produce a nice warm lead tone like I'm used to from the Legacy. So, basically I'm kind of looking around again. I'd say price wise that the Road King pretty much tops out what I want to spend.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
there's gonna be a mark V?!?!?? lol

no chance of testing out said RKII or anything, eh? :(

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Flexibility wise there's no comparison, the VHT Sig:X is exponentially more flexible. Tonewise? That's definitely up to the individual's taste. I like Mark IVs, but I'm a huge VHT fan. I think they make the best amps in the world.

It really depends on specifically the kind of tone and response you're looking for. The Mark IV sounds great, but in terms of metal it's pretty much a one trick pony. It has 'a sound'. You either love it or you don't. The VHT is capable of many diverse tones, you can sculpt almost anything - in terms of both tone and the playability/response of the amp.

So, can the Sig:X, by your estimation, produce nice thick organic leads? I ask because most clips I've heard seem to be closer to a modern mid scooped kinda thing.

I'm not a die hard, hard code medal guy, though I certainly play some. I play reasonably heavy stuff from the 80's to now and want to cover that wide range. Something that would be limited like a 5150, dual recto or similar probably wouldn't do it for me. Which explains why my 5150 sits quietly a lot. Any suggestions?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
the hell makes you think a recto/5150 cant do softer tones?

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
the hell makes you think a recto/5150 cant do softer tones?

I can't speak to the recto but I've had a 5150 for ten years and have pretty much dialed it every way possible. I've had somewhat better success with tube swaps and cabinet/speaker changes but the basic character, to my ears, doesn't lend itself to thick organic leads. It seems to really want to scoop and have thin hollow sounding pinch harmonics no matter what I do. The Legacy goes a bit far to the opposite side of the spectrum and loves to thicken everything up, but perhaps a bit too much sometimes.

Like everyone else I want the amp that does it all, which perhaps doesn't exist but I figured I could find something in the middle if not.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
an amp that does most things damn well is always good to have handy hehe.

out of curiosity, do you have any guitars handy that arent basswood to see if the 5150 is entirely incapable of thick lead tones?

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
I want to try out a Sig:X so badly now!

Especially since that one guy here got one and was unimpressed with it.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
an amp that does most things damn well is always good to have handy hehe.

out of curiosity, do you have any guitars handy that arent basswood to see if the 5150 is entirely incapable of thick lead tones?
Ya, I have some that are maple, poplar and alder and it makes no significant difference to my ears as far as leads are concerned on the 5150. It's probably just that my ears or taste has changed from playing the Legacy so much. That bugger is creamy.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Ever thought about getting an amp switcher and using the 5150 for rhythm and the Legacy for leads? That would probably be pretty kickass!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Rectos are seriously underrated for softer stuff. Give me a few minutes to put together a clip or two for you.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Rectos are seriously underrated for softer stuff. Give me a few minutes to put together a clip or two for you.

Indeed. The first time I played a recto, I was totally floored by the awesome crunch sounds :agreed:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i for one would like to hear a clip of that, if you could :)

hehe when i tried out a triple rec.. couldnt figure out how to change channels (no glaringly obvious switch), so i noodled on the clean channel and its modes.

the crunch setting on the clean channel with the gain dimed is probably enough gain for me, then i'd boost it.

i lol'd

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ok, ignore the shitty playing, I drank my ass off last night, and the muscles never seem to cooperate the next morning, lol. This is the Raw mode of the Recto, and I didn't notice but I probably had my TS9 on out front for an ever-so-slight clean boost.

[media]http://www.drewpeterson.org/recto.mp3[/media]

That's the Recto for the bass too, BTW. Anyone who says these aren't versatile just hasn't spent enough time with one.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
damn you drew, just damn you.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Ok, ignore the shitty playing, I drank my ass off last night, and the muscles never seem to cooperate the next morning, lol. This is the Raw mode of the Recto, and I didn't notice but I probably had my TS9 on out front for an ever-so-slight clean boost.

[media]http://www.drewpeterson.org/recto.mp3[/media]

That's the Recto for the bass too, BTW. Anyone who says these aren't versatile just hasn't spent enough time with one.

Very cool. Not what I expected. Thanks

Latest posts