VHT Sig:X vs Mark IV?

• Thread starter newfinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nick, I was trying to make a point with a bit of humor and good natured ribbing so I wouldn't have to come out and say it point blank, but since you're taking a bit of kidding personally, I guess I have to be a shade more direct...

Even before you were a dealer you weren't exactly an unbiased source of gear reviews - you took a lot of crap when you first signed up here for talking up whatever it was you were planning on selling next week. Now that you're a dealer, officially, well, it does sort of shed the appearance of slight professional bias. Your Bareknuckle review read exactly like one of those Musicians Friend "reviews" that they toss in every couple pages to drum up interest in a new peice of gear.

And now in this thread you're pimping the hell out of an amp you sell, and getting a little upset that the topic, with the blessing of the original poster, has drifted over to one you don't. I mean, maybe it's time to rethink a little how you interact in a discussion forum. You can't just say things like "Of course it can, dude, it's a VHT" when at some level you're open to the charge that you're solely motivated by profit margin, you know?

We're talking about how a Rectifier handles low gain because the original poster wanted a high gain amp that could also handle low gain, and thought (incorrectly) that a Recto couldn't do it. Hell, I didn't even bring it up in this thread. I'm sorry it's intefering with a chance for you to get free advertizing for VHT, but honestly if you want to go that route I'm going to have to direct you to the Dealer forum.

Also, nit-picking point - the Road King and Roadster ARE part of the Rectifier line.

Anyway, don't take this the wrong way, dude - I like you, I'm glad to see you've got this shop on its way off the ground, but at the same time, it seriously hampers your ability to give unbiased advice, and since you seem to take it personally when anyone disagrees with you, it's something you need to think about, you know...?

matt7

Irish Guy
Reaction score
I wa acutally thinking about the whole roadster vs sig x thing yesterday and for me I think the roadster wins in terms of features. The lack of midi in the sig x is real turn off. I think I'd go for a framus over the roadster just because its so damn expensive over here, maybe you should check them out?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Let’s say, hypothetically, there’s a guy who’s not brand loyal and wants the ability to produce sounds from his gear that can cover the likes of Alan Holdsworth, George Lynch, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Koko Loureiro and more modern rhythm tones. He knows it’s unrealistic to find all that in a single amp but wants to try. Which direction do you send him?

I'd grab a Stiletto II or a Splawn. It really sounds like you're looking for more of that hotrod Marshall tone.

matt7

Irish Guy
Reaction score
To be completely fair, the Roadster doesn't support MIDI, either. I use a dedicated amp function switcher to control my amp via MIDI.

Wow thats news to me, kinda weird that it doesn't but my JVM does and its less than half the price lol. I would imagine the roadster sounds better though :lol:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow thats news to me, kinda weird that it doesn't but my JVM does and its less than half the price lol. I would imagine the roadster sounds better though :lol:

Your JVM only costs less because you live in Ireland. Over here, they are about $300 more. Mesa doesn't put MIDI on their amps, because they don't like adding a bunch of onboard electronics that aren't part of the preamp or power amp.

matt7

Irish Guy
Reaction score
:O Why would anyone buy it over a Boogie, I love the marshall sound and I wouldn't do that. I'd go for a stiletto.

Thats kinda crazy

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Because Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Slash all used Marshalls, and everyone knows "real" tone comes from a Marshall and a Les Paul. Clearly. :agreed:

[action=Drew]kind of wants a JCM800 all the same. :lol:[/action]

matt7

Irish Guy
Reaction score
There was a jcm800 for sale locally here for £350. I guess we get something good. I'd rather have the cheap boogies though=/

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
JCM800s are fucking epic. I plug into the one at GC everytime I am in there. That, and an OD-1, is the sound of thrash.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That, stock, with a high output bridge humbucker and a fuckload of volume to drive the poweramp into clipping, is THE sound of lead guitar. :agreed:

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the replys.

The ENGL Invader certainly sounds good on paper and I've read good reviews but, like the VHT, nobody anywhere near me sells them so I have no chance to try them out. I'd be buying on faith and hoping I never needed service but that's the way it goes I guess.

I tried the Stiletto once and thought it was pretty good. It kind of reminded me of my Legacy but with more gain and clarity. I think if I replaced the Legacy I'd likely go with A Stiletto. I think I was looking for more of a departure from what I currently have as I am still keeping the 5150 and the Legacy. Maybe that's why I was initially thinking Road King or Mark IV. They're just different enough.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you absolutely, positively MUST have the need to mix EL-34s and 6L6s, then skip the Road King and grab the Roadster. It's a whole lot less scratch for the same four channels.

Ch2/Brit on the Roadster/RK is actually a really usable Plexi-like sound. It is not as Marshall as a Stiletto, but for what it is, it is a great channel, and a wonderful way to get usable Marshall tones out of one amp at a gig.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Unless you absolutely, positively MUST have the need to mix EL-34s and 6L6s, then skip the Road King and grab the Roadster. It's a whole lot less scratch for the same four channels.

Ch2/Brit on the Roadster/RK is actually a really usable Plexi-like sound. It is not as Marshall as a Stiletto, but for what it is, it is a great channel, and a wonderful way to get usable Marshall tones out of one amp at a gig.

With either the Road King or Roadster can you dial out the stereotypical recto fuzz, if you know what I mean? Mind you, maybe you can even on a regular dual recto. I never spent enough time on one to find out.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I hated Rectos for that reason right up until the day I bought one. The problem is the way to dial them in is pretty unintuitive, and then they still sound fizzy and flubby until the poweramp gets moving. A Tung-sol and a Tube Screamer help loads, too.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
What Drew said. Low volumes is the main source of the fuzz, and it goes away as you turn it up. Plus, they really benefit from a tube swap, and speakers that are not V30s.

matt7

Irish Guy
Reaction score
Your JVM only costs less because you live in Ireland. Over here, they are about $300 more. Mesa doesn't put MIDI on their amps, because they don't like adding a bunch of onboard electronics that aren't part of the preamp or power amp.

So yeah, if anyone has a roadster and wants a JVM without paying the insane price you americans get charged. Feel free to hop on a plane to Belfast and I'll sort you out ;)

*Ahh blind optimism :lol:

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
What Drew said. Low volumes is the main source of the fuzz, and it goes away as you turn it up. Plus, they really benefit from a tube swap, and speakers that are not V30s.

That's odd being the recto cabs are loaded with V30s. Did mesa get it that wrong?