ViK Duality 7 QM

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Considering Methlab was told in March his guitar would be shipped in a week I'd imagine he doesn't give half a turd what vikyvik thinks; don't let me put words in his mouth though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asfeir

Reaction score
Any idea what's behind the "VIK guitars USA" name on his NAMM invitation?
Is he relocating to the US?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Add that to him wanting to be paid in USD, I'd suggest so.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
id personally rather be paid in euro, stronger currency,

ultimately vik is leaving a bad taste in the mouths of his customers. push came to shove, id sell a guitar that has such a bad aura to me personally. everytime i play that guitar, im gonna remember all of this. mehtab odviously buys/sells but he is also washing his hands clean of a shitty situation.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
id personally rather be paid in euro, stronger currency,

ultimately vik is leaving a bad taste in the mouths of his customers. push came to shove, id sell a guitar that has such a bad aura to me personally. everytime i play that guitar, im gonna remember all of this. mehtab odviously buys/sells but he is also washing his hands clean of a shitty situation.

Who are you kidding, he's doing what he's been doing, grabbing a rare / sought after guitar and trying to flip it for a massive profit. Or have you missed his other Viks, UV swirl, early Suhr, etc he's done the same thing with.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
Who are you kidding, he's doing what he's been doing, grabbing a rare / sought after guitar and trying to flip it for a massive profit. Or have you missed his other Viks, UV swirl, early Suhr, etc he's done the same thing with.

28 months ago, when he organized his run, i don't believe that was his intentions back then, since then though, buying/selling has what he has become. i completely agree with you. i dont recall him doing all that shit back then.

Negav

Reaction score
Reading all of this thread all I could think of was "Vik Rico Jr.?". I used to want a Vik, but with all these events I think I'd rather just appreciate their beauty.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
28 months ago, when he organized his run, i don't believe that was his intentions back then, since then though, buying/selling has what he has become. i completely agree with you. i dont recall him doing all that shit back then.

Oh I don't think he set up the run with the intention to do this. Listing it for a ridiculous price was definitely not out of character though, and I really doubt it had anything to do with "washing his hands clean of a shitty situation." Keep in mind he bought that last Vik a couple months ago and was hyping it up and had it listed BEFORE HE EVEN RECEIVED THE GUITAR. It's plain and simple profiteering.

Gilbertsgotbrootz

Reaction score
Mehtab ordered that guitar years ago i am sure little 18yo mehtab was like i am gonna spend 3k on a guitar and list it for 10k in the year i was quoted . I personally wouldnt want it either after waiting as long as he did . Oh Yeah i also forgot, you guys have magical powers that let you skip a 4 year wait and pay old pricing? Hmmmm that's right you can't . So it doesn't matter what viks used to sell for it matters what they sell for now. The past couple viks have been well over 5k he's sold . No different than doug his guitars use to be a couple grand ...... I know of people who have been offered 15k for there and 17k but because they just bought them from doug last year that means they arent worth it right ? I also know of people that have been waiting on dougs list for years for a guitar. Its just the kinda shit you don't hear about because everyone is trying to hype them up.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
I also know of people that have been waiting on dougs list for years for a guitar. Its just the kinda shit you don't hear about because everyone is trying to hype them up.

Have they been waiting *after* paying a >$1000.00 deposit?

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but why does it matter that the wood was air-dried for 8 years? Does that make it more stable than drying it conventionally, or are people just amazed that he held on to it for 8 years and then put it on a guitar? :scratch:

A few other people have answered, but air drying in a stable atmosphere is the conventional/traditional method unless you have access to a kiln. The longer an air-dried piece of timber dries, the more stable it will generally be. You want some kick-ass rosewood or mahogany? Dismantle an 1800s piece of furniture for it!

8 years isn't an unusually long time to dry a piece of timber. Most, if not all, good luthiers will have a private stash of wood that's waiting for the right project, and they may keep hold of these for decades.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but why does it matter that the wood was air-dried for 8 years? Does that make it more stable than drying it conventionally, or are people just amazed that he held on to it for 8 years and then put it on a guitar? :scratch:

Dried wood is lighter weight and a more clear sound. Nobody does this other than some custom luthiers or companies like PRS that do it for their Private Stock guitars which will get you up in to the 10k+ range depending on specs. Wood that has been dried for that long is going to be superior in tone, stability, and weight.

Reading all of this thread all I could think of was "Vik Rico Jr.?". I used to want a Vik, but with all these events I think I'd rather just appreciate their beauty.

It can definitely come to mind but ViK Guitars and Rico Jr should not be used in the same sentence. Thats an absurd notion. ViK is taking longer than originally quoted but he's not some older been in the business for ages burnt out dude with an addiction problem who is running with peoples money. Putting the two side by side is just inappropriate :lol:

ViK is going to be at NAMM this year under the name ViK Guitars USA. Thats a hint of where things are headed for his company. It does suck that some of you guys who truly are really great guys have had a bad experience and for those of you not wanting to give him your business, don't do it if you don't want to. But he's going to come though. Id say just have patience. Maybe Im just desensitized after waiting 6 years in Feb for my Sherman. Waiting 3 years when quoted 2 or less is not unheard of. It doesn't mean that the guy is going to turn in to a Sherman or Rico Jr at all. Builds are coming and they are going to be the best guitars you have ever had. He's been building for ten years but is still new to the game. There will be a day when we will be glad that we got our orders in when we did. I believe that and I know that I already am.

I didn't even know that a guitar could be so nice until I got my ViK. This is after owning and/or playing exceptional guitars such as PRS Private Stock, Schecter CS, Jackson CS, ESP CS, J Custom, LACS, Daemoness, KxK, Suhr, Blackmachine...

And his pickups, my GOD they are so responsive and clear sounding.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Oh Yeah i also forgot, you guys have magical powers that let you skip a 4 year wait and pay old pricing? Hmmmm that's right you can't

That's actually a good example of shady business:

- Have the customer make an early deposit to 'bind' him to the contract
- Have him wait for too long for the finished product and in the meanwhile push the prices up beyond the ones agreed upon because it's the 'new standard'.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
My Duality slays every single guitar I have ever played. I swear it really does. It looks like my Saviour 8FF is going to be on display at NAMM, as is Lorcan's and a few others. Mine has a super rare Sabah Ebony top with Black Limba body and rosewood neck and ebony board. Look for it if your there. :yesway:

That's actually a good example of shady business:

- Have the customer make an early deposit to 'bind' him to the contract
- Have him wait for too long for the finished product and in the meanwhile push the prices up beyond the ones agreed upon because it's the 'new standard'.

I think that was a misunderstanding. ViK never changed the price on anyone who paid a deposit and had specs agreed upon when they did so. That never happened. Its a rumor.

By the way, for anyone who thinks that PRS Private Stock sell for less than 10K, check this one out:

PRS Private Stock Brazilian - Modern Eagle, Purple Mist | Sweetwater.com

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
My Duality slays every single guitar I have ever played. I swear it really does. It looks like my Saviour 8FF is going to be on display at NAMM, as is Lorcan's and a few others. Mine has a super rare Sabah Ebony top with Black Limba body and rosewood neck and ebony board. Look for it if your there. :yesway:

I think that was a misunderstanding. ViK never changed the price on anyone who paid a deposit and had specs agreed upon when they did so. That never happened.

By the way, for anyone who thinks that PRS Private Stock sell for less than 10K, check this one out:

PRS Private Stock Brazilian - Modern Eagle, Purple Mist | Sweetwater.com

PRS Private Stocks can (and do, I know from experience) sell for under $10K.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
PRS Private Stocks can (and do, I know from experience) sell for under $10K.

Is it possible that they have gone up in price considerably then? This one is going for $11,500! Maybe cause of the Brazilian Rosewood then? I think its the same batch as that one on ebay

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Is it possible that they have gone up in price considerably then? This one is going for $11,500! Maybe cause of the Brazilian Rosewood then? I think its the same batch as that one on ebay

Much lower than $10k on Ebay all day long, even new / unplayed examples.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score

Brazillian rosewood is available on PRODUCTION guitars now, let alone Private Stocks. I know someone who just ordered a Brazilian rosewood TOP and yes, for under 10k. Sweetwater is a great company but their not very competitive with Private Stock guitars at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.