Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Why's Vik want more customers when he's so far behind on custom builds and runs?

He might be trying to undercut the replica builders. I don't think anyone enjoys to have their designs copied, but certainly that struck a nerve. And imagine how different things would be now if blackmachine had created this type of arrangement back in ~2011, before replicas started outnumbering legit builds.

Khoi

Reaction score
Call me interested, I would love to have a "production" Duality, but I still see these being ~$3000.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
*can't even adequately control his personal business*
*decides now is the time to "expand" into a commercial setting*

What could ever go wrong?!

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
He might be trying to undercut the replica builders. I don't think anyone enjoys to have their designs copied, but certainly that struck a nerve. And imagine how different things would be now if blackmachine had created this type of arrangement back in ~2011, before replicas started outnumbering legit builds.

To my knowledge, there's only ever been two, and the luthier who built them refused to build more. Plus, they would have only recently come to his attention, likely long after he put these plans in motion.

Edit: 3, with the one currently under construction in the luthiery section...

Last edited:

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how this turns out. I'd love to own a Duality or even getting a chance to play one would be great. Of course I'm gonna wait though. If something happens like Strictly 7, I don't want to be a part of it.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
It's nice to see that people finally, after Sims and Chris Woods and Roter and BRJ and god knows how many other luthiers/small shops, are starting to exercise discretion and healthy skepticism when it comes to these sorts of things.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how this turns out. I'd love to own a Duality or even getting a chance to play one would be great. Of course I'm gonna wait though. If something happens like Strictly 7, I don't want to be a part of it.

Its gonna be a legit well known major USA based manufacturer

asfeir

Reaction score
What are the possibilities? Schecter, Dean or even washburn (why not)?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't see this really capturing my GAS. Franchising a product or service is easy. Franchising a skill is not. If Vik's guitars are really all-that, in terms of quality of construction and set up, then the USA line cannot be. If it's possible that there is a US manufacturer that can turn out instruments as high quality as a Vik, then Vik isn't building at a quality level beyond other's reach. So really, we'll just end up with a Vik body shape being made by someone else, but with a high price tag since the profits will have to be split. I think it works for Strandberg because the shape is so unusual people want to get one, and aren't super concerned if Ola himself builds one. But I'm less likely to get an expensive Vik knockoff just because it's "official." Now, if these come in of decent quality and $2000 or less, maybe. But I also think they're likely to be around $2500-$3000.

narad

Reaction score
What are the possibilities? Schecter, Dean or even washburn (why not)?

Ha, Dean. Finally I can get a Duality with flaming skulls painted on it. And then the inevitable Dimebag Darrel signature Duality.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I think it works for Strandberg because the shape is so unusual people want to get one, and aren't super concerned if Ola himself builds one.

Precisely this, Ola is a luthier who innovated and leveraged that innovation into a business outside his own shop.

Vik.....is a luthier.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
... Ola is a luthier who innovated and leveraged that innovation into a business outside his own shop.

Vik.....is a luthier.

The reason I bought a Boden was that I was attracted to the design and the innovations involved. These things didn't require Ola's hands to be involved.

The reason I was about to buy one of Vik's spots (from a forum member) was that I'm attracted to Vik's craftsmanship.

In any case, I'm curious. Lets see what happens.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
I don't see this really capturing my GAS. Franchising a product or service is easy. Franchising a skill is not. If Vik's guitars are really all-that, in terms of quality of construction and set up, then the USA line cannot be. If it's possible that there is a US manufacturer that can turn out instruments as high quality as a Vik, then Vik isn't building at a quality level beyond other's reach. So really, we'll just end up with a Vik body shape being made by someone else, but with a high price tag since the profits will have to be split. I think it works for Strandberg because the shape is so unusual people want to get one, and aren't super concerned if Ola himself builds one. But I'm less likely to get an expensive Vik knockoff just because it's "official." Now, if these come in of decent quality and $2000 or less, maybe. But I also think they're likely to be around $2500-$3000.

well said

narad

Reaction score

Yup, and I have a hard time thinking a production model run would even attempt to imitate all the binding and flare that is characteristic of these guitars. This may shine some light on the recent quilt maple Vik - it had no body binding and a thick, single ply flamed maple neck and headstock binding. That's downright spartan compared to things like that redwood burl Duality. Perhaps it was a prototype?

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Colour me interested. Of course, we don't really have any information yet. And I am likely to want to get an actual ViK but seeing a small lutherire make the job to big business is always cool.

Also, maybe he wil be able to get his designs patented now so he can sue people when they rip his work off.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Also, maybe he wil be able to get his designs patented now so he can sue people when they rip his work off.

Would this before or after he's served the same dish by the likes of Suhr et al? I believe the revised moniker for his presence in the states would protect his personal venture, but I don't know if he'd necessarily start hunting down folks for it given his past proclivities...

AxeHappy

Reaction score
If Shur Et all want to they should go for it. One man's evils don't excuse anothers.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score

Definitely well said and totally makes sense. I actually thought about that before you posted, I just didnt really know how to put it in to words and you did it quite well. Its possible that they could play the same or similar to the customs but just not be quite as impressive in luxury maybe. A few things that stand out for me regarding the Duality in particular is the way it sits when you play it. Its well balanced. I also really like the wide, slightly on the thinner side maybe, flat D type profile of the neck. The body is not too thin and not big either. The carves are brilliant. Not to mention that his pickups are probably the least muddy pickups Ive ever played, and the neck pickup is sweet and airy. Excellent mid response and extremely clear sounding pickups with amazing attack. I also dont believe that there is a 16"-22" compound fretboard radius out there on a production is there? I dont know what the radius will actually be on these but I do know that for me personally, the flatter the better. Nothing plays as nice as an 18"+ radius, particularly a 16"-22" compound. Just sayin.

As far as price, it is going to be a USA built high quality instrument after all. I really don't know anything about the specs etc yet but Im extremely curious to compare it to the real thing eventually. Its likely that these will be built a lot faster than the customs so it definitely will serve a purpose in getting the shape, feel and maybe some characteristic in tone via pickups in to peoples hands.