Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
For the record, I have no issue with him charging $5k base. Total credit to him being able to do it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blanco

Reaction score
What actually is his base spec?
Everyone has on opinion on the 5k tag but that could make a huge difference to whether someone feels its worth it.

I actually think the price rise was a bit of both that people are willing to pay the cost and it could give an obvious price/quality divide between the USA models and his custom shop.

asfeir

Reaction score
What actually is his base spec?
Everyone has on opinion on the 5k tag but that could make a huge difference to whether someone feels its worth it.

I actually think the price rise was a bit of both that people are willing to pay the cost and it could give an obvious price/quality divide between the USA models and his custom shop.

I think base is a choice of mahogany/swamp ash with a AAA maple top for the body and a maple neck. also plastic binding and pickup rings. This is according to the base price in the runs he's done here.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I too am interested. Despite his ranting on facebook about design theft, there's no denying that the man makes some out-freakin-standing guitars. I drool every time I see a NGD with a duality.

That being said, I hope he doesn't fall into the same traps that have been mentioned, namely letting go of custom production in order to support the roll-out of assembly-line production.

What these luthiers need is an actual manager, that way they can continue making their instruments and let someone with some business savvy handle the business side of things.

tmfrank

Reaction score
I was really disheartened when he told me that his new base price was 5k...I was planning on saving a good amount for a custom guitar, and after doing a bunch of research, I really felt as if his track record could more than attest for his authenticity as a luthier. I was more than willing to invest 3.5-4k on a new guitar, but a BASE PRICE of 1,000 more than I intended to pay...

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
^Thats how supply and demand works unfortunately. I only know of one luthier who has a massive waiting list but has kept his prices the same over the last 3-4 years and thats because he firmly believes in getting a hi-end guitar into a players hands for a manageable cost. Vik has a family to support and workshop to keep stocked/supplied. Raising his prices isn't going to affect his business with the amount of people interested in his guitars.

What do you think the a US spec would be?

My guess is the Duality Shape with Mahogany Body, Flame or Quilt Maple top, Rosewood or maple neck and Ebony Fretboard. Ebony pickups wound to Vik's specs. HipsHot Bridge, gotoh locking tuners, stainless steel frets and Gloss body with satin or oiled neck.

I don't see Black Limba being an option since most luthiers are saying its getting harder and harder to find good pieces. Offering exotic tops/necks and fretboards would deter business from his CS depending on the prices.

tmfrank

Reaction score
^Thats how supply and demand works unfortunately. I only know of one luthier who has a massive waiting list but has kept his prices the same over the last 3-4 years and thats because he firmly believes in getting a hi-end guitar into a players hands for a manageable cost. Vik has a family to support and workshop to keep stocked/supplied. Raising his prices isn't going to affect his business with the amount of people interested in his guitars.

My guess is the Duality Shape with Mahogany Body, Flame or Quilt Maple top, Rosewood or maple neck and Ebony Fretboard. Ebony pickups wound to Vik's specs. HipsHot Bridge, gotoh locking tuners, stainless steel frets and Gloss body with satin or oiled neck.

I don't see Black Limba being an option since most luthiers are saying its getting harder and harder to find good pieces. Offering exotic tops/necks and fretboards would deter business from his CS depending on the prices.

I would gladly buy the guitar you just described, but I PRAY that he offers it in a 6 string as well. A black limba body would be nice, but I'd take anything if it meant I could have a 6 string Vik :lol: If it's right around the 3k price point, I will be way more than interested. Waiting til this year's NAMM might be the death of me :scream: But for what it's worth, after going through his website's gallery a dozen times, I'm sure anything he puts out as a production model will be worth our time.

blanco

Reaction score

Pretty much my thoughts on the specs. Not sure about a rosewood neck, would push the price up but i can easily see them being maple. Could see it having an swamp ash body and rosewood fretboard as well. Pickup wise i'd happily have some dimarzio or seymour duncans. Might be cheaper than setting up and winding to his specs although i'd love to have the wood bobbins matching the guitar. Not bothered about ss frets but if the price is as high as we think it might be i'd sort of expect them.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Not quite on topic...

XzDWk6Y.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
congrats...everyday that goes by and every new pic is just another day of me getting shitted on

Well, Vik's build queue might not be a proper first-in/first-out queue, but it is queue-like, so every new build brings us a little closer. Still waiting on my progress pics from 3 weeks ago though.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Pretty much my thoughts on the specs. Not sure about a rosewood neck, would push the price up but i can easily see them being maple. Could see it having an swamp ash body and rosewood fretboard as well. Pickup wise i'd happily have some dimarzio or seymour duncans. Might be cheaper than setting up and winding to his specs although i'd love to have the wood bobbins matching the guitar. Not bothered about ss frets but if the price is as high as we think it might be i'd sort of expect them.

Strandberg Washburn are pushing out lots of guitars with rosewood and cocobolo necks so I don't think it would be a problem. They just released there new catalogue and they come in around $3,150 - 3,550 not including stains or true temperament. SS frets is becoming the norm for a lot of companies so you can expect them. Regular white Korina would be a good substitute for Black Limba.

Not quite on topic...

Nice!!!! Well with all the talk about USA series and NAMM seeing your guitar completed couldn't be more on topic. Just Ryan Ferguson's Saviour to go right? It must be extra nice seeing a left handed hi-end custom shop guitar too.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
"We are please to announce that we will be presenting a brand new ViK guitars model at NAMM in January. No one has seen it yet and we can't share details right now but it is going to be epic, stay tuned!"

1476068_689802504393562_1465040050_n.jpg

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Lol'd.

Edit: You could have trolled even harder and said it almost looked like my custom, what with that grain pattern.

Edit2: Wonder if he's actually going to wait until NAMM to release at least who's going to be building it.....wasn't there that "factory" that was taking boutique luthiers' designs and making them as production models? I think I recall seeing that somewhere on youtube and figured it might work out well for him.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Edit2: Wonder if he's actually going to wait until NAMM to release at least who's going to be building it.....wasn't there that "factory" that was taking boutique luthiers' designs and making them as production models? I think I recall seeing that somewhere on youtube and figured it might work out well for him.

I think you mean Premier Builder's Guild (PBG)? I think that mostly counts as a failed endeavor - their biggest client was probably Johan Gustavsson, and he cut ties with them a year or two in. So did Jason Schroeder. I guess they still do Saul Koll's models, and I do love Saul's work, but I'm hoping it's another Washburn co-op.