Vik Guitars Domineer FF9 - The NGD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fabeau

Reaction score
This is one of the most beautiful guitar ever built. Truly. Can I ask how is the accessibility on the highest frets-lower strings? Because it looks like the (amazing) shape of your Domineer body could create some discomfort on that area.
By the way - once more: impressive guitar \m/

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
This is one of the most beautiful guitar ever built. Truly. Can I ask how is the accessibility on the highest frets-lower strings? Because it looks like the (amazing) shape of your Domineer body could create some discomfort on that area.
By the way - once more: impressive guitar \m/

Not a problem with the body design at all - it's pretty standard in that area - upper horn starting a few inches forward than lower horn just like most guitars. And the heel (or lack of) is absolutely incredible.
But yes, due to the fan meaning the 24th fret is forward 1.5" on the lowend, the access there isn't great. But I've never found a guitar where playing down there is a comfortable thing for me nor is it something I ever do haha :)
The 18th fret on the standard E string is pretty much the furthest I would go or feel comfortable doing on this guitar.
Much like this picture which is completely unobstructed, apart from where my hand is touching the cutaway.

20120919053351875.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Absolutely haha. It's tiny as you can see! The neck is of course wide having standard string spacing.
It's super cool how adjusting (without realizing - like I said, there was no adjustment period) to this 60something mm neck and almost 30" scale length has made playing my bass a breeze. Despite always loving my bass, I can't say playing it wasn't tricky before!

fabeau

Reaction score
Not a problem with the body design at all - it's pretty standard in that area - upper horn starting a few inches forward than lower horn just like most guitars. And the heel (or lack of) is absolutely incredible.
But yes, due to the fan meaning the 24th fret is forward 1.5" on the lowend, the access there isn't great. But I've never found a guitar where playing down there is a comfortable thing for me nor is it something I ever do haha :)
The 18th fret on the standard E string is pretty much the furthest I would go or feel comfortable doing on this guitar.
Much like this picture which is completely unobstructed, apart from where my hand is touching the cutaway.

Yeah I see :) congrats again man!

shredguitar7690

NEED MORE STRINGS!!
Reaction score
I have been waiting for so long for this NGD!!! I even stopped visiting this site except for checking your build status. I was just bored today so I got on and saw the NGD and I was like "hmm what this, something about FF9.." HOLY SHIT! But seriously happy NGD and I hope youll find the inspiration to make more videos cause then you would be my god. And now I wanna pick up my 9 and play lol. Have fun! :shred:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Here's some lead tone! Nothing special haha just a quick recording of a riff a friend tabbed that I thought should have a little solo :)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^^
Doesn't even look like you could reach the low strings if you wanted to :lol: I love how the neck is wider than your 5 bangers. (Yes I know you obviously can reach it given other pics, but looks like you are touching the boards edge to do it)

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Jesus. That is amazing. Everything is beautiful. Wood choices, shapes, inlay. A true masterpiece from a master artist.

They use Poczta Polska in Belarus? :scratch:

Tango616

7 String Samuri
Reaction score
One of the greatest guitars I've ever seen, gotta start saving for one xD

With such a huge fan, isn't it more difficult for palm muting? Like, can you still make it a full bodied purring chug, or is it basically just always a djent type palm mute since the lowest string is covered more than the other strings, thanks.

Again, stunning guitar man, mad jelly.

Tango616

7 String Samuri
Reaction score
Can you still palm mute normally on it? or is it always a djent sort of palm mute what with the huge fan.

One of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen btw. Enjoy!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, it said error for my first one and didn't see it actually went through.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
They use Poczta Polska in Belarus? :scratch:
Nope ;)

With such a huge fan, isn't it more difficult for palm muting? Like, can you still make it a full bodied purring chug, or is it basically just always a djent type palm mute since the lowest string is covered more than the other strings, thanks.

By more covered, I presume you mean that my hand would be more towards the neck on the bottom strings? Not so, just I keep my hand further back overall. Wanting to get the same position of muting across multiple strings only really becomes an issue if you want to mute more than 4 strings, say. With normal powerchords muting is really not much different at all :)
After lots of time with this guitar however, I do think that the ABM bridges in general make muting a bit different. Even just playing a single string, it is slightly harder than most other guitars I've played to find the 'sweet spot' for growly mutes. Just something to do with how the strings sits, maybe it's height, how your hand sits on the bridge etc..I can't really identify what causes it! I'm more than used to that now, though :)