What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Just got back from the Machine Head and Fear Factory cover band show :lol: All kidding aside on the member changes over the years, it was a great show overall. MH has always been one of my favorite bands since BME and fun to see live, no matter the lineup. Haven’t seen Fear Factory in a long time but they had an energetic, if short, set. The new singer Milo doesn’t quite replicate the albums live but he was using some sort of theremin pad for textures that was cool and put his own twist to the vocals. Orbit Culture is new to me and will check them out further, while Gates of Hell I think just isn’t my thing. I don’t think the sound guy did them justice either since everything was drowned out by the kicks.

LoG/Mastodon is up next later this year!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I saw the G3 reunion tour earlier this month. I saw Satriani and Vai in 2022 as well and tbh their 2022 performances were better. Can’t really describe why except I can only suspect they’re a little more tired. Satriani’s 2022 performance felt more energetic.

I’ll be seeing Caligula’s Horse on Saturday! Also have tickets for Blind Guardian in April and some band called Soen later this year.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
Went with my buddy to see Periphery on their EU tour back in january. It was the first time in 5 years that they played in Denmark. Super cool show with great energy and a solid setlist. I was just happy to experience the guys live again.

Next thing I've got ticket for is the Copenhell festival, which shapes up to be another year filled with must-see bands, so I'm super looking forward to that.

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Crowbar are here tomorrow, not got a ticket yet, but I'll probably head in & try on the door

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Just saw Pantera, it was a well done tribute show and had an awesome time listening to some songs I never thought I'd get to hear live.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Saw Crosses last week, great show! They played for like an hour and a half too, and Chino did some crazy 90s Deftones sounding screams.

FloridaRolf

Reaction score
Saw Baest last night and they really brought a positive/party vibe I wasn't expecting from a DM band plus witnessing the solo from 'Ecclesia' live was absolutely epic.
somehow they got quite boring on their records after the first one, but they're absolutely killing it live

Might go to Municipal Waste on Sunday since Monday is a holiday, need to check out the openers and see if it's worth it; looks like Symphony X is now coming thru in March, so that'll be a good one to go to.

Then who knows between then and the LOG/Mastodon show in August

seeing Municipal Waste is always worth it man

Obscura & Cynic in a few weeks here
saw Frozen Soul again some days ago, what a great band and great people. really cool they start to get the attention they deserve.

devastone

Reaction score
Marty Friedman and John 5 last night. Marty was great, I like John's country-ish and chord melody stuff best, when he does rock it's like he's on 10 the whole time. Amazing player, just gets to be too much by the end of the night but damn, he's got skills.

I turned my gf on to MF's Scenes album, now it is one of here favorite bedtime ones to put on.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Going to see Periphery this year on their Wildfire tour!~

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay lets go:

some weeks back: Tesseract, unprocessed and the callas dowboys: was nice, unprocessed was sick and tesseract was super tight. Not my favorite bands but was cool!

later that week: Periphery and I forgot the band that opened for them: Periphery was cool, opening act was super forgetable metalcorisch boring shizzl (but guitar player was great)

Some days later: Pain of salvation, Spocks beard, Temic and some other bands: loved Temic and spocks beard. Pain of salavation I really did not like. I was a hugh fan of them when I was younger but man wat a cluster fuck. Looked like they did not play together for quite some time and thougt yeah fuck it lets do a show... anyway the rest of the people seem to like it anyway...

Again some days later: Hypno5e and Persefone: now that was my jam. I really love Hypon5e, it is a truely underrated band and live super good (that drum damn...) also persefone was super good. Two of my favorites of the moment! Also really great athmospher. One of the best shows I have seen in a while...

Some days later I was in Vienna (it means nothing to me) and the also happen to play there in a venue next to my hotel... so I did go again, again great show, persefone guitar player recornezed me from the show in the netherlands and we had a nice chat, super nice guy (and monster player). Was again sick!

Tommorow: Cattle decapition, super looking forward to that!

Next week: again persefone and hypno5e (yeah I am a fan boy) but than with Obscura and Cynic... ,man super looking forward to that as well!

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unexpected holiday time means going to Cattle Decapitation/ Signs of the swarm / 200 stab wounds the day before Judas priest.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Got to see a Boris / Kiyoharu double bill on Friday.

This lineup would've been baffling to most Boris fans since they wouldn't know who Kiyoharu is let alone his connection to the band. Also probably didn't help that Kiyoharu's in his chill phase and bought a percussionist, acoustic guitarist and a saxophone player as his backing band (occasionally jumping on acoustic himself). So I can imagine the look on some of the guys at the show. But I loved his set and the band was on fire despite the minimalist arrangement. And despite not speaking a breath of English and awkwardly getting the stage manager to translate his banter, Kiyoharu himself has a tremendous set of pipes and hit every single note flawlessly. As the set went on he was slowly winning people over, but then he got the members of Boris to join him on his last song then finally tore up the stage showing that Kiyoharu can hit pretty hard when he wants to.

Once Boris started their set then loud chaos ensured. This time they got a live drummer behind the kit leaving Atsuo to stay as a frontman, and he was intense. Got right into the crowd, surfed through the pit and still hit all the notes over all the over the top sludge riffs. Mid way through the set they invited Kiyoharu back onstage and did a Dead End cover. Again another esoteric move that went over the heads of almost everyone bar a selected few (like me :lol:) and it was an absolute treat. It shows that despite the jarring styles of both sets, both acts touring together was not accident and was that point where most of the skeptics got it. My only minor gripe was that because Wata and Takeshi had massive Orange and Ampeg stacks each, it was almost hard for the sound guy to get the drums, or even vocals to keep up with the ridiculous volumes, but then maybe getting right up front wasn't the wisest idea on my end. And despite a chest bruise from the rowdy crowd, I regret nothing.

It may be an odd lineup for most, but a damn unique experience.

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
I checked a couple things off my bucket list this weekend. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit in Fort Wayne after a visit to Sweetwater. The Embassy Theater was cool because our hotel/bar/restaurant were connected to the venue by a tunnel. Isbell gets a lot of credit for his songwriting but he and Sadler don't get nearly enough for their guitar playing. Sadler is a force with a slide and Jason does a great job with their extended versions of the songs. No coordinated lights or fog. Just a rock band playing a show.

Also, getting to see Red Eye and a Dumble being used is pretty neat.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Just a handful of the recent shows I've been to:
D Bloc/You Die First/Violent Nature
Tomb Sentinel/Hanging Fortress
No Graves
Black Christmas Fest (Detroit, MI)
Pain of Truth/Vomit Forth
Harms Way/Fleshwater
Volcano/Bodybox

On the docket:
Conservative Military Image
Snuffed on Sight
Sonic Temple fest
LDB fest
Tied Down fest
This Is Hardcore

Been having a good time getting back into the music scene after a long hiatus through my military career.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Trying to make a decision about which festival to go to next summer. The two I'm deciding between are basically Tuska and Saarihelvetti.

Tuska has a lot of semi-interesting stuff (Dimmu Borgir as #1 if I had to pick one), but nothing super special. Saarihelvetti has Nekrogoblikon plus a few from the semi-interesting tier (less than Tuska though). But, Saarihelvetti has only announced about half of their bands. Apparently there'll be some more announcements tomorrow, so maybe that'll tip the scales.

Besides the festival stuff, I haven't decided whether to go see Dickinson or not. The show in Helsinki sold out in like an hour, but my friend who's a big fan of his solo stuff managed to snag tickets (he'll bring his wife if I decide not to go, but apparently she's not that interested). I'm not that into his solo material (yet?), but I am a fan of Bruce himself, so I don't know what I'm gonna go.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Ima go see Dethklok next month with my brother and sister and my best friend cuz she's never been to a metal show before and she likes Metalocalypse :)

I'm gonna go see Dying Fetus in May also
If you haven't seen 'em before, don't think Dethklok is training wheels for a metal show. I've never seen such rowdy crowds. It's like the cartoon come to life, without quite as much blood.

Latest posts