What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wildebeest

Reaction score
I saw The Darkness on their Permission To Land 20th anniversary tour. They sound better than ever and are in great shape. Justin still hits the notes, and he even brought back the spandex.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw the Carnifex tour last night and I went mostly for Signs of the Swarm and To The Grave. The venue was tiny, no barricade, small stage and barely any security. Beer sucked and was super expensive even though they set themselves up as having a craft brewery onsite. TLTSOL was up first and killed but I missed most everything besides the last 2 songs.

To The Grave had people stage diving by the second song and sounded huge but you couldn't really hear guitar over the bass and drums. The vocalist was a monster and I actually ran into him after the show. Really nice guy and I was half concussed so it was kind of awkward but it seemed like he was a little shocked that I was such a big fan and happy to hear from fans in the US since they're Australian. They got bonus points for the pig mask on stage and the fucking SICK RG2228A the guitarist had.

Signs of the Swarm was easily the best, mostly bc they played all of their popular stuff and a lot from the new record. To The Grave only played 2 songs I listened to a lot but they did play my favorite and it crushed. I was shocked how heavy SotS sounded with just one guitarist, but they had some overdubs on a backing track so that helped a little. He had by far the best tone all night and I could follow the riffs all night, so I guess that's a testament to Aristides + Fishmans + modeler. Vocalist demolished it, huge energy all around and the pits were all immense. He kept letting people sing the iconic parts for some of the songs if they were going nuts but they played Among the Low and Empty and it sounded even more disgusting live. The crowd moshed so hard for the last track (Death Whistle) that by the time Carnifex came on people were too tired.

Carnifex were great, sounded insanely tight and raw with almost zero tracks. Two guitarists definitely made a difference and they played some of the new record but a lot of the older stuff too. I don't think they realized how beat everyone was bc the vocalist kept trying to get big circle pits and everyone just kept kinda sighing and stopping running after a little bit. Definitely a lot less energy overall and while the playing was nuts and they were really fun, the crowd was worn out and the band wasn't as completely unhinged as the previous two. I think they're feeling getting older but they still went insane and played a great show.

Overall, first show I went to alone and that wasn't great. I talked to a fair amount of people but ended up drinking bc I was bored. Got a pretty good shirt and tickets and merch were cheaper than usual. The bands were great though and the venue was nice. Security was super hands off but no one got hurt even though the crowd was apeshit.

Regardless, my neck and shoulders hurt, my ears feel like shit, and I got up at 6 for work this morning feeling like death. Very glad the event today is a quiet, easy one bc I can't hear right or look up. Fantastic show.

Last edited:

Stemp Fester

Reaction score
Saw Pendulum a week or so ago - great show with some chunky tones and mega tight playing.

Devin Townsend coming up in a couple of weeks which should be fun although I've looked at his recent set lists and they're a bit predictable...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Saw Heart of a Coward last week, off to see Malevolence and Sylosis in a few weeks time. Hopefully catch Decapitated and Obscura in Dec too.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Pelican show here in Indy got canceled last month but they rescheduled for the 12th next month. Haven't been this hyped for a live show in years.

Meshuggah, In Flames, and White Chapel are playing about 3 hours away coming up before long. Really considering taking a road trip for that. Never been a big Meshuggah fan but I'd like to check em out live anyway.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Just got home from seeing Otoboke Beaver live. One of the most unhinged chaotic punk bands I've ever seen. Incredibly tight that they can go toe to toe with most metal and grindcore bands out there. Possibly the most intense punk show I've seen since seeing DRI at Slim's a good decade ago.

Masoo2

Reaction score
from the "what are you listening to" thread ------

had the chance to see LLNN live last week and holy shit they're incredible. Just unabashedly and unashamedly abrasive, harsh, painful and - most important of all - heavy. Guitar and bass in Drop G but pitched down an octave - you feel as if you're getting hit by a truck in the best way possible. Never came off as lazy, tryhard or dare I say ignorant like a lot of really low-tuned stuff I listen to (and love) in the beatdown/downtempo sphere, but instead highly composed and intentional - like how the hell do they come up with this stuff in the studio???? Probably the "fullest" sounding 4 piece (guitar, bass, synth, drum) I've heard live in ages.

mpexus

Reaction score
Enforcer, Crisix, Whiplash and Destruction.

Crisix totally stole the show and to me they are the BEST Thrash band of the moment. Those dudes crush it and they are totally enjoying themselfs on stage. Whiplash was a let down, Zero chemestry with the band elem,ents and it seems the vocalist (original dude I think) just went to the pub and hired two dudes to go do a tour.

devastone

Reaction score
Since everyone's talking about Canibal Corpse, Mayhem, Cattle Decapitation, Cryptopsy, etc, I went to Peter Gabriel on a whim last night. Some of the best live sound I've ever heard, Tony Levin in particular had the best live bass sound I've ever heard and was switching instruments constantly. That guy is one of those bassists where even when he plays something simple you can immediately tell you're hearing a beast. Anyway, I only recognized like three songs but it was still quite the show and I was VERY surprised that it appeared as though he'd sold out the stadium. Very cool visuals on this tour, too, there were like six floating screens that could be moved around either in front of or behind the stage and projectors tracked them all and all the songs had strong visual components. Best song was one that featured a countdown and then an apocalypse, no clue what that was. The whole place went insane when he did "In Your Eyes" for the first encore. I was impressed! That guy still sounds quite good for being 73.
Saw PG here on the 16th (then woke up with Covid the next day, and no, not from the concert, it takes longer than that, another discussion), great show, but... <IMHO> His new stuff is pretty meh compared to his older stuff, I could have lived without trying to create some weird evolution story especially all the pretentious (a friend's word) rambling, and you don't have to introduce band members after every song</IMHO>

That said, the band and the sound was great, Tony Levin is incredible, the visual show was very cool, and the music was flawless! His voice is still amazing and the cellist/vocalist that he did duets with also had an amazing voice, and was not a chore to look at.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Saw Ne Obliviscaris with Beyond Creation and the Omnific last night. The openers were alright but Ne Obliviscaris were absolutely incredible. The set list was absolutely perfect and every musician up there played so tight it was a bit unreal. I wasn't sure if it would be super messy live, but man, it was the opposite for sure. Tim's vocals were so damned good, and Benji is such an immaculate guitar player. Even the mix was absolutely perfect. Definitely show of the year for me.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Saw Buckethead in Sac last month.

View attachment 131881

Yes he played to backing tracks. It was still rad to see him play live.
He’s playing shows? How are you finding out about these? For the past few years, I’ve had no luck when searching for Buckethead show dates. I love Buckethead and he’s the only one of my favorite guitar players that I have not seen live.

KentBrockman

Reaction score
Saw Plini with Strawberry Girls and Standards opening on Tuesday in Portland. The two opening acts were good but they didn’t blow me away. Plini was fantastic though.

Got a Pat Metheny show next week on Tuesday, so I’m looking forward to that!

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He’s playing shows? How are you finding out about these? For the past few years, I’ve had no luck when searching for Buckethead show dates. I love Buckethead and he’s the only one of my favorite guitar players that I have not seen live.
He only did 2 shows recently (Sacramento and SF, CA). The YT channel natternet has both concerts uploaded in pretty decent quality.

Funny enough I got an Instagram ad of all things about it. I immediately bought tickets. It was awesome to see him in the flesh play. I hope to see him play with a full band one day. I am guessing Buckethead is just dipping his toes into doing gigs again post pandemic. He might be more active next spring, who knows.

EDIT: Before the gigs were done, both events were listed on his page: https://www.bucketheadpikes.com/
I would keep an eye out here for him doing stuff randomly.

KentBrockman

Reaction score
He only did 2 shows recently (Sacramento and SF, CA). The YT channel natternet has both concerts uploaded in pretty decent quality.

Funny enough I got an Instagram ad of all things about it. I immediately bought tickets. It was awesome to see him in the flesh play. I hope to see him play with a full band one day. I am guessing Buckethead is just dipping his toes into doing gigs again post pandemic. He might be more active next spring, who knows.

EDIT: Before the gigs were done, both events were listed on his page: https://www.bucketheadpikes.com/
I would keep an eye out here for him doing stuff randomly.
Thanks!

Aynirar27

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw BabyMetal a couple months back and it was killer. To be honest, Dethklok sort of killed the energy in the room but BabyMetal had everyone on their feet from the first note. Such a good time

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw BabyMetal a couple months back and it was killer. To be honest, Dethklok sort of killed the energy in the room but BabyMetal had everyone on their feet from the first note. Such a good time
Dang so Brendon Small/Dethklok was no good? An off night or just not a good show?