What cab impulses are people using nowdays?

• Thread starter HanSulu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
Hey, simple question but one I can't really find a recent answer for.

I've been using My 6505+ head (cab still connected of course) with the Fx send into my interface (preamp out sounds weird) and using a cab sim to write/record ideas. I've been using the Critical Cabs Messiah Impulse's but I've been wondering what everyone else's using nowdays, or does everyone just use the Axe Fx now? :lol:

I've used all the major ones you see (all the suggested impulses by cartharsis, Redwirz,ownhammer etc) and unless I'm getting something wrong they all just sound off to me, and While I've been enjoying the Messiah cab well enough i still wonder if there is anything new out there that i've missed in my downtime away from SSO that might sound better?

Would love to hear what cabs or combos of different impulses everyone's into now. Thanks a ton!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
i´m falling more and more in love with Rosen Digital impulses. for starters i´d recommend
the Budda 4X12, Marshall 1960 Vintage and Mesa Rectifier (not the Oversized).

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I always come back to Ownhammer impulses, they work really well with the axe-fx models and offer a lot of options.

Descent

Reaction score
Kalthallen Cabs

I really like these, Celestion speakers with several different mics/mic positions, honestly all you'll ever need for metal.

I also have Redwire and Guitar Hacks impulses but mostly stay on the Kalthallen. Honestly, I still get much better results miking my own cabs but the IRs are better than the built in cab sims from what my ears tell me.

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
I always come back to Ownhammer impulses, they work really well with the axe-fx models and offer a lot of options.

Which impuses by ownhammer do you recommend?

I second Rosen Digital, as well as Fat Lazy Cabs. I probably like the later better.
Home - Rosen Digital
Home / Fat Lazy Cabs

Any specific ones by them you would suggest?

Kalthallen Cabs

I really like these, Celestion speakers with several different mics/mic positions, honestly all you'll ever need for metal.

I also have Redwire and Guitar Hacks impulses but mostly stay on the Kalthallen. Honestly, I still get much better results miking my own cabs but the IRs are better than the built in cab sims from what my ears tell me.

I want to say I have some Kathallen cabs impulses somehwhere, which impulses do you prefer?

EDIT: I just realized that since I've got Tse X50 v2 I've got Some Rosen Digital, kathallen cabs, and fat and lazy impulses :D

Masoo2

Reaction score
Been using some of the Frank Smith (FrankTheSmith on YouTube) cabs recently, but I always find myself coming back to the catharsis s pres-high impulse. It's the quintessential modern metal/metalcore IR imo.

From Ever

Reaction score
I'm using Lepou Hybrit with Catharsis. I'm closing in on my sound. I've got Wall of Sound, Guitar Rig, Redwirez, and whatever's in Logic. It's an endless search really.

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
it's an endless search really.
Isn't that the damn truth haha

Although for me I'm quite happy with my sound with my cab (not mic'd just in the room) and since I'm using my actual pedal board and head into my interface I just need to figure out Impulses :p

Great suggestions so far, seems Ownhammer may be my best bet to try out as I've tried most of the others already plus it seems to be the most popular.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, simple question but one I can't really find a recent answer for.

I've been using My 6505+ head (cab still connected of course) with the Fx send into my interface (preamp out sounds weird) and using a cab sim to write/record ideas. I've been using the Critical Cabs Messiah Impulse's but I've been wondering what everyone else's using nowdays, or does everyone just use the Axe Fx now? :lol:

I've used all the major ones you see (all the suggested impulses by cartharsis, Redwirz,ownhammer etc) and unless I'm getting something wrong they all just sound off to me, and While I've been enjoying the Messiah cab well enough i still wonder if there is anything new out there that i've missed in my downtime away from SSO that might sound better?

Would love to hear what cabs or combos of different impulses everyone's into now. Thanks a ton!

If you're connecting a cab, why not just mic it? I think the reason cab sims sound off is because you're missing the power tube stage. You need some sort of DI box that takes one of the speaker outs and converts it to line or mic. Or a load box with line out.

Drezik27

Reaction score
Just recently got Cab Lab and the Bulb cab pack.

Sound really good. Maybe it's a me problem, but I can't seem to get anything other than a mid-rangey tone out of any of the impulses. Goes across amp sims too (Revalver, TSE x50, Lepou amps). Which isnt awful, but sometimes I like to scoop dem mids.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There's this free Asem Mesa V30 impulse floating around the internet that I use and love.

Although someone in the DIgitech GSP thread posted their own impulse pack that had an Axe FX V30 cab in it that I'm starting to prefer since it isn't as scooped and fizzy.